How do I choose between a career in medicine or pharmacy?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben Fuzze

Reaction score
I currently have one more class, which I'm taking now, to graduate with a B.S in Biology. So if I choose to do medicine, for the rest of this year, I would have to focus on my extracurriculars, which I currently have none, and the MCAT. However, I find the field of pharmacy much more appealing- I would rather be an expert in and deal with 'stuff,' in this case substances and drugs, than directly deal with actual, physical body parts and patients.
But the problem is that I have heard from a few practicing pharmacists that the field of pharmacy, specifically retail, which I want to get into, is at a decline. The job market is supersaturated with pharmacists and salaries/benefits are slowly decreasing.
This of course is very worrisome and I would therefore not want to commit myself to pharmacy. But on the other hand, I don't have full passion for medicine except for the fact that it is the best alternative.
Would it be a good idea to do medicine either way? Or should I take the risk with pharmacy?

Members don't see this ad.

Do pharmacy. I don't think the job market is really that bad where it's impossible to find any job. If you work hard and set yourself up for success then you will be able to find a job. I don't think anyone would recommend medicine under the idea that its the best alternative, just due to the amount of time and effort it takes to become an attending physician

I was faced with a similar situation as you: pharmacy or medicine? I went as far as putting down a deposit at a pharmacy school before realizing I was making a mistake. Now I’m currently on my first of two gap years working in activities and studying for the MCAT.

Subjectively, you will see on the pharmacy page here that many people are saying the job market is saturated; I have heard the same thing from pharmacists I know and worked with. Job-searching websites yielded mostly listings in rural communities, rarely hospitals or even your local suburban CVS. News articles tell of increasing automation in community pharmacies, higher work demands, and stagnant wages.

More objectively, the BLS and Pharmacy Manpower show a supply that outweighs demand; pharmacy schools (more schools are opening, too) are producing more graduates in one year than is expected to be needed in the next 10. Financially, pharmacy school is approximately the same amount of money as medical school, but has about half to a quarter of the salary of a physician.

Frankly, pharmacy doesn’t look good.

However, medicine has its own downsides. Increasing patient loads for PCP, diminishing compensations for visits, etc. The negative voices are just a lot louder for pharmacy than medicine.

If pharmacy is truly your passion, go for it. If you are unsure, which I suspect you are because you’re asking, take the time to explore both options.

Think about what you want in you’re job. You said you wanted to be an “expert?” Specialize. Want to be more of an expert? Do a fellowship. If you want limited patient interaction, maybe pathology or radiology is for you? But also think about work-life balance, work environment, what type of colleagues and patients you want to work with, etc.

Take some time, think, and decide what’s best for you!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
The market IS saturated in “desirable” locations. Retail sucks so bad. CVS was awful and at least in the Philly area, getting a permanent location is difficult and you float from store to store in your district, if a job is available. (Philly has three pharmacy schools which contributes to the problem)

If you have no retail experience, get some. I wanted pharmacy as well until I spent three years at CVS and changed my mind.

There are other options besides medical school that do not add 8+ years to your journey. Have you looked into dentistry, podiatry, or PA?

Reactions: 1 user
My girlfriend is a 3rd year pharmacy student. The market is incredibly oversaturated. There are areas of medicine you can practice that would allow you to do the things you wish. I personally am going into rads bc I don't want to interact with pt's tbh.

Just watch Kevin Yee on Youtube

Pharm is great, pretty chill.

Status
Not open for further replies.