How crucial is Step 2 CS?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

DesiMDHopeful

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm signed up to take the CS exam during early Feb and now given the new announcement of an anticipated delay in the score reporting of the CS exam for test takers thru the end of this year, I'm wondering if it's worth it for me to change my test date? You guys think it's really bad to be taking it at that time? Would a residency program really base their decision on whether or not to take someone by the presence of a CS score? I know many people that took their exam late last year, but wondering if there's any new outlook on this exam for this year?

Members don't see this ad.

DesiMDHopeful said:
I'm signed up to take the CS exam during early Feb and now given the new announcement of an anticipated delay in the score reporting of the CS exam for test takers thru the end of this year, I'm wondering if it's worth it for me to change my test date? You guys think it's really bad to be taking it at that time? Would a residency program really base their decision on whether or not to take someone by the presence of a CS score? I know many people that took their exam late last year, but wondering if there's any new outlook on this exam for this year?

Unfortunately, now that they've got one year of the CS under their belts and it is running more smoothly.

our dean told us that many residency programs will NOT rank students for the match unless they have passed Step 2 CS.

We all have to take it by november at my school for that reason.

later

My advice is reschedule the exam for this fall, take it, and just get it out of the way! You'll be so glad it's behind you! I'm an M4 and just took the exam last weekend and I'm sure glad I won't have it hanging over my head during interview season. My school also has a deadline of December for taking both 2CS and CK. I imagine this will become the norm around the country.

Good Luck! (And read FA for 2CS, it has everything you need to know in it) ;)