How competitive is pain fellowship?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pablo94

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am an anesthesia resident at not a big name residency. How hard would it be to get into a pain fellowship? Is there no chance if I am not at a top tier residency? We do not have an in house pain fellowship.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

I am an anesthesia resident at not a big name residency. How hard would it be to get into a pain fellowship? Is there no chance if I am not at a top tier residency? We do not have an in house pain fellowship.

Thanks
i found that it depended on your individual situation more than anything..

some weak candidates getting taken by their home program

some strong candidates sent to scramble all over the country because no home program and other programs filled by internal candidates for only a few spots..

it has the potential to be annoyingly difficult, apply broadly - its only a year

Members don't see this ad :)
What can I do to improve my chances? I am an intern this year and my program doesn't have many research opportunities.

Thank you

What can I do to improve my chances? I am an intern this year and my program doesn't have many research opportunities.

Thank you

Don't constantly try to screw over your co residents. Don't be lazy and show up late multiple times. Don't call out regularly. Don't get into multiple fights with staff, residents or attendings. Don't use illicit drugs on call. Don't be arrested for fighting with the police while drunk. Don't be found down on call.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users

Thank you

Do the basics well. Try to go to meetings, publish a case report or two. Do well on your pain rotation, meaning read a lot and look smart. Apply broadly.

Thank you

Take your anesthesia residency seriously. Seems obvious, but I've had a surprising number of senior residents whine about doing a lung transplant overnight bc "I'm going into pain". Serious mistake- it's a small world, and people talk. Even CT and pain attendings. Also, you never know how things will turn out- I went as far as applying to pain, now I'm CT/ICU.

Best advice I ever received about career: "The key to success is simple: show up every day and give a sh**. The rest will take care of itself."

Reactions: 6 users
Its not what you know. Its not who you know either. Its who you blow.

• Haha
  • Hmm
Reactions: 2 users
Take your anesthesia residency seriously. Seems obvious, but I've had a surprising number of senior residents whine about doing a lung transplant overnight bc "I'm going into pain". Serious mistake- it's a small world, and people talk. Even CT and pain attendings. Also, you never know how things will turn out- I went as far as applying to pain, now I'm CT/ICU.

Best advice I ever received about career: "The key to success is simple: show up every day and give a sh**. The rest will take care of itself."
See, i never understood that mentality. I've applied into Pain, but I am likely not going to be doing heart transplants or valves or single/double lungs in my career, so residency is the only real time Ill get to see that stuff and use the cool instruments and mess around with the TEE. Residents should be trying to enjoy what they can while they can.

Reactions: 1 user