Coursework & Fieldwork How chaotic was getting placed for your Level II fieldworks?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

lauren5621

Reaction score
Did you have to move? In/ out of state? How far in advance did you get placed?
Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Not at all for me. Your school will have fieldwork coordinators who will have to deal with the chaos. As a student, you may have to interview at your site, but other than that you have no major responsibility in setting up your placement. Nobody in my program had to move, though I did have a longer commute for one placement.

Not at all for me. Your school will have fieldwork coordinators who will have to deal with the chaos. As a student, you may have to interview at your site, but other than that you have no major responsibility in setting up your placement. Nobody in my program had to move, though I did have a longer commute for one placement.
Thank you for replying! Can I ask how long ago you graduated? I just started a program that doesn’t even allow us to state preferences, they just send us wherever and keep reiterating that almost no one is going to get to stay in the city our campus is in. I’m really disappointed and just wanted to know if that was normal.

Members don't see this ad :)
I graduated 4 years ago, and it sounds like things have changed even since then! My school was located in a big city, so that probably gave us more opportunities for placement compared to other schools. But still, that is frustrating that have little say in your fieldwork!

My advice for you is to give it 150% percent, go beyond expectations, ask questions, learn and grow as a person. It also helps if you build a good relationship with your CI. Because my 2nd CI and I care close, till this day she checks up on me.
EDIT: I moved several states over just to attend grad school, so moving for fieldwork wasn't an issue.

So I will say I am moving for both of mine (starting in the spring of 2020), but I CHOSE that. My school has incredible connections that is allowing me to do one of my fieldworks at the top rated hospital in the country (Mayo Clinic) and my second placement will be closer to family, so while I have to move, I won't have to pay for housing.