Hourly rates in 2024

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

psychbender

Cynical Member
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
For those that are paid hourly (or for shifts of designated length) what rates are you currently getting? I'm Anes/CC, and my group gets a stipend per 12hr shift that was negotiated five years ago. The full-time CC guys here are similarly working on the same contract rate for 12hrs they've had since at least 2017. Many of us are disgruntled, with several having left over the past few years. Without getting into the other details of vacation, census, staffing models, etc, what is just the typical range now for hourly rate for a given 12hr shift that you're seeing?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
For those that are paid hourly (or for shifts of designated length) what rates are you currently getting? I'm Anes/CC, and my group gets a stipend per 12hr shift that was negotiated five years ago. The full-time CC guys here are similarly working on the same contract rate for 12hrs they've had since at least 2017. Many of us are disgruntled, with several having left over the past few years. Without getting into the other details of vacation, census, staffing models, etc, what is just the typical range now for hourly rate for a given 12hr shift that you're seeing?
Also curious

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone have MGMA (or whatever its called) for 2023? Our group is up for a pay increase sorta soon and I want to see if were gonna get the shaft.

A place I interviewed at around NoCal (pp/HCA) is offering 270/hr for day and 285/hr for night.
Curious about this too.
Also many if not all of the academic places are not giving a straight up hourly rate depending on their pay structure. Am trying to figure out how to put that into comparison. Would love some insight...

Update: got the shaft, hourly pay went up 4 dollars an hour, last pay raise was 7/ 2021. Sooooooo 2 dollars an hour per year. Yaaaaaaaa shoulda been a nurse.

Could be worse, the full time guys at my shop haven't had a raise since at least 2017. They have a quality-metric bonus, which has been increased over time, but the pay per 12hr shift remains the same it has for at least seven years.

The work isn't that bad, most days. Also, we had a big exodus a few years back (powers that be just blamed it on the pandemic, although, everyone that left went on to higher paying jobs, while remaining in the ICU), and most of those still here are just going to do what they're told. Since then, one left for family reasons, and one went half-time. I'm likely to leave soon, too, if something doesn't change.

A place I interviewed at around NoCal (pp/HCA) is offering 270/hr for day and 285/hr for night.
Curious about this too.
Also many if not all of the academic places are not giving a straight up hourly rate depending on their pay structure. Am trying to figure out how to put that into comparison. Would love some insight...
Also very curious about this. I love to stalk the jobs boards and see ads like this one from time to time, but it’s always like one MD and one APP for 30 beds or some other insane ratio.

If you’re doing 30 x 99291 = $4455/day

Reactions: 1 user
Hospital in our region (Midwest) is paying $285/h for “bonus” overnights in order to get all nights covered. Night shifts are 14h. Census usually 12-18. No resident/APP.

I did essentially that in Miami running census of 22-28 daily for 215/H. It was horrible !

The big cities seem to be getting worse and worse in terms of job quality, at least for inpatient based physicians. FWIW I've done locums hospitalist jobs seeing ~8-10 floor patients and 2-4 "ICU" patients in rural areas for more than this hourly rate, which is crazy to me.

Sure I’ll share. It doesn’t help any of us for this kind of stuff to be secret.

I get 225/hr as a W2 employee for a large corporate group hired by the hospital. No productivity or other bonuses etc. Standard benefits, weak 401k match, etc.

I’m PCCM but this job is CC only. Environment is a 400 bed community level 2 trauma center with 3 ICUs staffed by 2 docs during the day and one at night. It’s essentially open ICU which is a frustration. There are 60 ICU beds in total but some of those get taken up by the trauma service which is run entirely separately. No midlevels. Average census per doc is between 10 and 18 (I’ve occasionally had both more and less though). Case mix is pretty diverse with MICU, CV ICU and Neuro ICU. Decent GME with an IM residency and PCCM fellowship with pretty reliable ICU staffing by trainees. The hospital is about 45 mins outside a larger city which is a pretty desirable location in the southeast US. We all do 15 x 12 hour shifts per month with 5 of those being nights. Same hourly pay for night shifts.

This has been my first job out of fellowship and I think I would like to stay, so I hope to negotiate the comp up a bit come contract renewal time.

Hope that helps some folks.

Last edited:
I did essentially that in Miami running census of 22-28 daily for 215/H. It was horrible !
I’m curious which Miami group was doing this! If you don’t feel naming the hospital that’s fine but what neighborhood? We talking north? South? On the beach?