Hot / emerging topics in Otolaryngology

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

vjorl

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
What do you think are the hottest or emerging topics right now?

Members don't see this ad.

In-Office BSP
TORS for H&N and for OSA
CN XII stimulator for OSA

are three hot topics that have impacted my practice

In-Office BSP
TORS for H&N and for OSA

are three hot topics that have impacted my practice

I agree. TORS/lasers are very chic right now. There's also a lot of cool stuff looking at targeted molecular therapies for head and neck SCC.

As an aside, I was under the impression hypoglossal nerve stimulation for OSA was still in the process of FDA approval here. Do you perform device implants or refer patients to clinical trials?

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree. TORS/lasers are very chic right now. There's also a lot of cool stuff looking at targeted molecular therapies for head and neck SCC.

As an aside, I was under the impression hypoglossal nerve stimulation for OSA was still in the process of FDA approval here. Do you perform device implants or refer patients to clinical trials?

What kind of targeted molecular therapies? kinase inhibitors? Abs? gene therapy? im interested

TORS for H&N and for OSA

What works great for OSA:

1. Exercise
2. Balanced diet

Stimulator Schmimulator....

Sent using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
If exercise and diet worked well for OSA, we wouldn't have OSA. Exercise and diet don't work well because Americans aren't compliant.

Know what works great for Diabetes?

Know what works great for hypercholesterolemia/hyperlipidemia?

Know what works great for HTN?

Know what works great for H&N cancer? Not smoking and no oral sex. Well, neither of those is going away either.

Like it or not, options to treat all of the above are there for those who won't do the stupid simple things that fix all the problems to begin with.

CN XII stimulators are still in trial. I've referred 2 patients, both of whom have had pretty good (but not as good as CPAP) results (1 - AHI 48 to 16, 2 - AHI 54 to 21). They were friedman tongue position III and IV pt's with BMI <32 so not the typical fatty OSAers.