Hospitalist Vs. Psychiatry

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

deleted1166564

Who has a higher earning potential?

Members don't see this ad.

I am a hospitalist.

I think psych has higher earning potential.

Members don't see this ad :)
Psych.

Psychiatrists are the most likely specialty to be cash-only...

I've never met a cash only hospitalist... Probably isn't legal as most hospital contracts require you to be enrolled with Medicare, Medicaid, etc. There are a few cash-based outpt concierge internists though.

These are also two very different fields. Remember that you cant put a price on getting up every day and not hating your life, so make sure whichever path you choose is the one you can see yourself doing for 20-30 years.

Reactions: 5 users
Boxers have much higher earning potential than a 1st round NBA draft pick. But a last round NBA draft pick earns much more than the average boxer. Averages are more important, because you will likely be average. There isn't much difference between average psychiatrist or hospitalist earnings, but the work is very different. Pick what you can tolerate if you want to increase your chances of above average earnings.

Then again, doing an IM residency will pay better if you go GI, cards, etc. It's easier to make more as an average GI or cards than an average psychiatrist. Procedural fields can easily see more patients/volume (increase pay) with minimal effort/headache than psychiatry.

Psychiatrists are the most likely specialty to be cash-only...

I've never met a cash only hospitalist... Probably isn't legal as most hospital contracts require you to be enrolled with Medicare, Medicaid, etc. There are a few cash-based outpt concierge internists though.

The daily work of every hospitalist is basically the same everywhere, with some minor differences in pay, call, etc. In psychiatry, there are at least 5-10 different work environments, which is a blessing and a curse. Whatever position you take as a psychiatrist may be vastly different from what you experienced in school/residency, and though you can carve out your own niche, it will take a bit of work to do so. For example, if you are well-trained in therapy and envision doing weekly cash psychodynamic therapy fresh out of training, but the prison down the road is offering $800k, well then...

And the daily work of a psychiatrist earning in the 90th percentile is likely much different from the average psychiatrist.

Reactions: 1 user
Average pay wise and time off I could see how someone would compare. Hospitalist is harder work in my opinion but is much more standardized at this point. Hospitalist have a real good thing going right now with the 7on/off with caps generally being 18 or less for many groups. Psych have had a good gig for a while with cash only/mostly practice. Do a rotation in both and see which you like better, money wise they are similar on average but workwise very different.

Boxers have much higher earning potential than a 1st round NBA draft pick. But a last round NBA draft pick earns much more than the average boxer. Averages are more important, because you will likely be average. There isn't much difference between average psychiatrist or hospitalist earnings, but the work is very different. Pick what you can tolerate if you want to increase your chances of above average earnings.

Then again, doing an IM residency will pay better if you go GI, cards, etc. It's easier to make more as an average GI or cards than an average psychiatrist. Procedural fields can easily see more patients/volume (increase pay) with minimal effort/headache than psychiatry.

The daily work of every hospitalist is basically the same everywhere, with some minor differences in pay, call, etc. In psychiatry, there are at least 5-10 different work environments, which is a blessing and a curse. Whatever position you take as a psychiatrist may be vastly different from what you experienced in school/residency, and though you can carve out your own niche, it will take a bit of work to do so. For example, if you are well-trained in therapy and envision doing weekly cash psychodynamic therapy fresh out of training, but the prison down the road is offering $800k, well then...

And the daily work of a psychiatrist earning in the 90th percentile is likely much different from the average psychiatrist.

True for GI, but I am not sure that is the case for general cards if you are looking at it $$$ per hour.

Closing as OP has already asked these questions in a larger thread:

Status
Not open for further replies.