Hospitalist and ER doc?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueAvenue

I eat pre-meds
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if one completed an IM/EM residency could they realistically spend half their time working as a hospitalist and the other half as an ER doc? Forgive this lowly pre-med for posting on the resident/attending forum, I just love getting answers from people actually apart of the medical community, not other pre-meds who know as much as I do. and please don't think me presumptuous for this post, I'm not planning my life out at 18 I just like to learn about the dynamics of hospitals and how these combined residencies could be put to practical use. Thank you in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

I had this discussion with the head of the EM group at one of our training sites, after he asked me why I was doing EM/FP. He went on to tell me he hired a bunch of EM/IM guys from my program to work for his group, and that they all eventually choose EM, but he makes sure they get IM privileges at the hospital. With that being said, they would have to do one or the other, according to him. Basically work full time as EM, or full time as IM. Supposedly this is no official rule, but he stated that if someone was doing both, they theoretically could steal patients in the ED. He also said that this situation is possible, but in more rural areas.

Now, that was only one source. I'm sure this situation could occur. Most likely, you would probably have to be on staff at 2 different hospitals, one doing IM, and one doing EM, and try to coordinate your schedules.

With that being said, they would have to do one or the other, according to him. Basically work full time as EM, or full time as IM ... He also said that this situation is possible, but in more rural areas ... Most likely, you would probably have to be on staff at 2 different hospitals, one doing IM, and one doing EM, and try to coordinate your schedules.

Good question, though I disagree with the head of the EM group quoted above. Many EM/IMs do work in two departments. I personally spend 75% of my time in EM and 25% as an academic IM rounding staff.

I know a few other people who are doing the same, some are working as EM/Hospitalists, others as EM/ICU (Those who have completed an EM/IM/CC residency). All the people I know are at single hospitals, split between two departments. Most people I know work at large academic centers in major metros that have enough volume and staff to work with the invariably complicated scheduling.

Very good question. Unfortunately it is against SDN TOS rules to cross post in multiple forums. Currently there are more replies in the EM forum (for this exact same question) so I will leave you with the link to that thread and this thread will be closed.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=620924

Status
Not open for further replies.