Hopkins vs UVA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

piper23

Reaction score
To preface: the cost will be roughly the same at both schools
I am interested in (but not committed to) primary care which is the only reason I'm hesitant toward Hopkins
The curriculums are relatively similar: both 18 month P/F pre-clinical, non-mandatory lectures with only a couple hours a day of required in-person learning

Hopkins
Pros
-it's Hopkins... if I end up wanting to go into a more competitive specialty it will definitely help to have that Hopkins name
-P/F pre-clinical and core clerkships (for now, but heard it's unlikely to change)
-lots of support for research - not my biggest priority but being in that environment might help me get more excited about it
-have heard that clinical training really lives up to the Hopkins fame
-I actually kinda like Baltimore lol
-got really good vibes during second look

Cons
-no FM clerkship or residency program --- this is really my only hang-up
-gunner stereotype but didn't get that vibe personally when visiting

UVA
Pros
-a strong program, has far more emphasis on primary care
-still matches very well in competitive specialties
-students seem very happy
-P/F pre-clerkship with no internal ranking

Cons
-not Hopkins
-graded clerkships
-more of a suburban location; I'd rather have a more diverse patient population
-match list is impressive but more geographically limited

Summary: leaning toward Hopkins, but is it a mistake to go somewhere without an FM program if I might be interested in that?
Note: also on the WL at UPenn, which does have an FM clerkship but also required research during fourth year which I don't love

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I genuinely don't think attending Hopkins will put you at any disadvantage in pursuing primary care. JHU probably has a bunch of FM connections in the area for you to take it upon yourself.

Reactions: 1 user
Agree with JungleTrouble. I have a mentor who went to Hopkins and does FM. She speaks very highly of it, especially if not interested in a very competitive specialty as there are less gunners, and you never know the opportunities that will come out of JHU regardless of what specialty you pursue.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know why you need convincing to go to Hopkins if you are too ashamed to mention the T30. ;)
definitely not ashamed, it's an amazing program. just trying to protect a sliver of privacy lol

I genuinely don't think attending Hopkins will put you at any disadvantage in pursuing primary care. JHU probably has a bunch of FM connections in the area for you to take it upon yourself.
that's very true, I definitely don't think it would put me at a disadvantage, especially if I decide on IM or peds!

Agree with JungleTrouble. I have a mentor who went to Hopkins and does FM. She speaks very highly of it, especially if not interested in a very competitive specialty as there are less gunners, and you never know the opportunities that will come out of JHU regardless of what specialty you pursue.
thank you for sharing that! It's nice to know that some FM physicians do come out of there and are happy that they went :)

just wanted to make sure I wasn't making a mistake by valuing their prestige over the actual FM opportunities that they provide, but my gut is telling me to go for it and make my own opportunities where necessary

Current Hopkins student. Both programs are awesome! Hopkins does have a Primary Care Leadership Track, which I’d imagine would provide you with longitudinal support and opportunities despite the lack of a formal FM rotation. I have no experience with FM or advising those interested in primary care, but I don’t think coming from Hopkins would limit your ability to pursue a successful career.

P/F rotations are a game-changer, especially if you’re not aiming for a “competitive” specialty. People survive and do well with graded clerkships, but it takes a heck of a lot of pressure off knowing you don’t have to scrounge and grind for every point.

Location is also vastly different between these two. Patient population is one thing, but also consider your own quality of life. If you love the outdoors and a small-medium college town type feel, UVA is up your alley. If you prefer a medium-sized city with an urban edge and flair in close proximity to other major cities, Baltimore is just that.

Interestingly, I know another student making the choice between these exact two schools. You have some great options, and I agree that either schools will provide you with a great education!

I don't know much about Hopkins but historically UVA has had a very robust primary care program (they were ranked #5 in 2021 before USNWR changed the methodology). They are all about improving health outcomes in the community in Virginia and also abroad with some really cool global health initiatives. You'll get some great exposure there as its a school that really does its best to connect with the local community including the underserved (rural, refugees, economically disadvantaged).