Hmmm 🤔

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SpoiledMilk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Taking part in ERAS for another specialty. Doing a derm elective rotation. I've been assigned to work with the PD on a couple of occasions. Both times the PD has questioned whether I would reconsider going into derm. I've jokingly responded with a 'if you can guarantee me a spot in your next class.'

I don't have the Step scores nor the research necessary for derm. I don't know if the PD knows this. They see my clinical interactions which prompted the statements. But my metrics will give them second thoughts.

Out of curiosity, is the PD just blowing smoke up my *ss? How would it work hypothetically, do I drop out of the Match, take a year to do research, and take Step 3 for the guaranteed spot in the next residency class? I've gotten along well with the residents and the other faculty, but can the PD guarantee a spot?

Members don't see this ad.

Taking part in ERAS for another specialty. Doing a derm elective rotation. I've been assigned to work with the PD on a couple of occasions. Both times the PD has questioned whether I would reconsider going into derm. I've jokingly responded with a 'if you can guarantee me a spot in your next class.'

I don't have the Step scores nor the research necessary for derm. I don't know if the PD knows this. They see my clinical interactions which prompted the statements. But my metrics will give them second thoughts.

Out of curiosity, is the PD just blowing smoke up my *ss? How would it work hypothetically, do I drop out of the Match, take a year to do research, and take Step 3 for the guaranteed spot in the next residency class? I've gotten along well with the residents and the other faculty, but can the PD guarantee a spot?

The PD cannot guarantee you a spot. They can have a large influence if you are borderline, but it’s certainly a big risk if he/she pulls for you and the rest of the people on the selection committee are strongly against it based on your scores or their own more qualified pet projects. He/she will probably fold.

That being said if you are really committed to dermatology it’s a big leg up.

Reactions: 2 users
I know a dude who was in this situation on an elective and they asked if he’d like to interview.

Spoiler alert: He didn’t match Derm. Now he’s in GI.

Might as well give it a shot OP but there is going to be 30 other people rotating with them as well probably, I would not get your hopes up but you never know unless you try.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm actually very happy with the field I am applying to. Was curious about the power and leverage a PD has as part of the selection committee.

But don't get me wrong, going in a 8-9AM and having your last patient scheduled at 3PM in clinic is soooooo envy-inducing...

Aren’t these people (PDs) taught to be polite and tend to be very socially astute. Not saying he doesn’t want you OP but he has probably said the same thing to many students as it’s the polite thing to say

Reactions: 1 user
No doubt that getting into any leadership position in an organization, one must have a certain 'charisma'. I didn't mention that another faculty member who specializes in Mohs also told me to reconsider derm. But it's moot as I am in the Match.