Hmm.. Interesting.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

FutureClinPsyc

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,
As most of you have seen, I am new here, and am very interested in Psychology, mostly clinical psychology. I want to become a clinical psychologist. Alright, anyways I was wondering is it possible to do research, and have it published in a journal from home? How else do you gain research experience? How do you go about finding out where research is being done, or whatever?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, I have came up with one more question, but found answers to the rest of them. Why do people email professors in graduate school? In graduate school do you only work with one professor, or whats the deal here? Is it to work on research with them on the side, or what?

Thanks

Sure you can, but it is challenging. Every pub I have was done in that way. I have another coming out in Jan, and one just starting that will be published in a primary care medical journal. It is possible, and I hope you choose to do it. I have lost most of my faith in academic research over the years.......

:D

Members don't see this ad :)
Sure you can, but it is challenging. Every pub I have was done in that way. I have another coming out in Jan, and one just starting that will be published in a primary care medical journal. It is possible, and I hope you choose to do it. I have lost most of my faith in academic research over the years.......

:D

Awesome! Would you mind maybe helping me come up with a topic, or something to do? and about how you did it, and such. I am very intrigued now! Also, maybe what journals would publish someone like me.

I am not sure what year you are but perhaps the best thing to do would be to speak with a professor at your university who a) you feel comfortable talking with b) does research you have interest in and go from there. I can't think of a professor who isn't flattered that a student has taken interest in their work and they will typically help you out as best they can. Oftentimes you can volunteer for credit in their lab. Don't be afraid to shop around for the best possible opportunity... not just 2 years of straight data entry. What you do as an undergrad decides if you will have a shot to make it into grad programs straight out of school so make the most of it.

As far as where you can publish research the sky is the limit. There are journals that publish undergrad research exclusively and you may want to look into those first (not sure what they are). If you can put together something exceptional publication in a peer-reviewed journal is very possible. It helps to have the support of a professor who knows the process. I think the best place to start is with a poster at your universities annual poster session (assuming they have one).

I think it would be pretty tough to do it on your own...at least initially when you don't have any funding or any idea what your doing for that matter.

I see. I guess I am kind of confused on how to find them professors who are doing research. Would I just ask my psychology department professors names in the higher psychology courses, and then go to that professor and introduce myself, and tell him I would like to work in his lab?

I see. I guess I am kind of confused on how to find them professors who are doing research. Would I just ask my psychology department professors names in the higher psychology courses, and then go to that professor and introduce myself, and tell him I would like to work in his lab?

Go to the psych department website and look at the faculty profiles. This will give you an idea of what type of research the professors conduct. You could then send short emails to a few professors saying how you are interested in their research and would like to stop by during office hours to speak with them further. Have questions ready when you go. If you are interested in what they have to say see if you can volunteer time working in their lab. That's one way to do it.

No offense but try to proofread your posts before you submit them for grammar.

Go to the psych department website and look at the faculty profiles. This will give you an idea of what type of research the professors conduct. You could then send short emails to a few professors saying how you are interested in their research and would like to stop by during office hours to speak with them further. Have questions ready when you go. If you are interested in what they have to say see if you can volunteer time working in their lab. That's one way to do it.

No offense but try to proofread your posts before you submit them for grammar.

LOL! Sorry about the grammar. I just try to get my point across without writing an entire 2 page story book. I called my university's Psychology department, and they said no professor in Psychology is conducting any research at all. So I am :eek: ? The only other university around here is 2hrs away. Oh, I almost forgot. I just sat down, and called every psychologist in the area about doing research, or shadowing. NOT ONE, not one freaking psychologist in my area is doing any kind of research, or anything. I will be so lost when I graduate.

Anyways more questions,

What's the biggie classes I should take in undergrad? If I take certain classes in undergrad can I be excused from them in graduate school? Should I take lots of math, lots of science, or ??

Hmm, I'm sorry you didn't have luck when you called the secretary. I find it a little hard to believe that if there's a psych major, there's zero research going on. Look at the psych website, and if they don't list research interests, I'd suggest emailing psychology professors who teach interesting classes, or have other interests you like. In any case, it's a psychology professor at your school that's really going to be able to guide you to what you should be doing to prepare for graduate school, and hints about how to get research experience. Also, it's great to make those connections with professors now, since if you eventually apply, you'll want letters of recommendation.

As an undergrad, I just recommend taking the range of classes for your major. Make sure you have 1 research methods and 1 stats course (which I imagine is required) but I don't think any other specific courses matter. If your school has abnormal or clinical psychology, that may be good, but certainly not necessary. Basically, being a psychology major is all the programs really care about...they assume you have enough breadth then.

Lastly, your question about emailing graduate school professors. This is probably pretty far in the future for you, but you want to email professors that you want to work with in graduate school to see if they will be taking new students. Under most (not all) programs, you work under a specific mentor that matches your interests, and you get accepted to work with that person. So, before you spend all that time applying, you want to make sure they'll actually be taking someone.