Histology and identification?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Daitong

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,

We've all heard that histo is relatively LY on the exam, but how often for STEP1 do we have to recognize X vs. Y structure; IE caseasting vs. noncaseating granulomas, certain ulcers, etc?

I find that even given an image labeled X, I sometimes still have no idea what I'm supposed to look at unless it's blatantly labeled with an arrow (and even sometimes that's ambiguous...)

Any tips/advice/resources would be greatly appreciated!!

Members don't see this ad.

You can simplify all of histology into a couple main points:

-Anything that has a high abrasive area will be squamous, for the body to protect itself. Like the arch of aorta, where the pressure hits the equivalent of 200 mph, has squamous cells. The cervix has squamous cells because of physical trauma during intercourse.

-Anything that is glandular is usually related to hormones. For example, the ovary has a glandular structure due to the release of hormones.

This can help you cut through these questions by the description, the images are just added info to confirm your answer -or- end up confusing you.

Hi,

We've all heard that histo is relatively LY on the exam, but how often for STEP1 do we have to recognize X vs. Y structure; IE caseasting vs. noncaseating granulomas, certain ulcers, etc?

I find that even given an image labeled X, I sometimes still have no idea what I'm supposed to look at unless it's blatantly labeled with an arrow (and even sometimes that's ambiguous...)

Any tips/advice/resources would be greatly appreciated!!

Identifying caseating vs noncaseating shouldn't be difficult. You should know how to do this.