Hey Y'all, Help A Pre-med Out!!! Pleeease?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

williestyle81

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if someone could give me an idea of what the schedule and hours are like for an ob/gyn in a group practice in the northeast/mid-atlantic? ( I know I'm just a pre-med, however, I have this strong interest in obstetrics):) Thanx!!

Members don't see this ad.

Hey there,
Well, if you are asking about schedule for OB/GYN then OB/GYN may not be the choice for you. ;)
Seriously, I am interested in OB/GYN and applied to residencies. If you are in a large group practice than your call may be every 5th night and the rest of the hours are fairly normal 8-6 avg hours. It is up to what you make of it. OB/GYN's earn enough money as to not to have to worry about making their hours long. But, Obstetrics is very unpredictable and requires constant coverage either from you or a fellow colleague. If you love the field, by all means go for it. Medicine, regardless of the specialty, will require hard work. You need to like what you do and that is the most important consideration (at least in my eyes). I know an OB/GYN who is more of a hospitalist. He works 8-5 5x/week and covers one weekend a month for call. That is probably the best schedule you may have. He may not earn as much as some people in private practice, but his schedule is good and he has a lot of variety in his practice. He also has the time to teach residents.
Hope this helps. Feel free to contact me with more questions.
Dani

dankatzzz had a good point. The factor is not how much time do you spend it's how many off days you will have off in a month. Larger residency programs allow less call q week. I suggest you do a 4th year subI in OB/Gyn and get a feel for the practice.

Good luck
Diane