hey guys

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jlo26

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im actually going to dental school in the fall, but my gf is going for optometry and I had a specific question actually. How hard is it to get into SUNY or New england optometry? (BC I am either going to Tufts Dental, BU, or NYU) She hasn't applied yet but wrote her OATs, got 83 percentile (1 week studying literally), but is writing it again bc she knows she can get 90 or above. However her GPA is 3.5+, Should she just apply now and update with her new oat scores or wait? I keep on telling her to just apply and update later, or is an 83 percentile not good? She doesnt want to talk to me about this stuff bc it gets her stressed out so I thought id ask you guys,thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

jlo26 said:
Im actually going to dental school in the fall, but my gf is going for optometry and I had a specific question actually. How hard is it to get into SUNY or New england optometry? (BC I am either going to Tufts Dental, BU, or NYU) She hasn't applied yet but wrote her OATs, got 83 percentile (1 week studying literally), but is writing it again bc she knows she can get 90 or above. However her GPA is 3.5+, Should she just apply now and update with her new oat scores or wait? I keep on telling her to just apply and update later, or is an 83 percentile not good? She doesnt want to talk to me about this stuff bc it gets her stressed out so I thought id ask you guys,thanks!

Her best chance might be New England. They have lower standards and the interview is less vigorous. NYU has a very expensive dental school. So go for Boston!

jlo26 said:

What are her actual scores? I imagine they must be good, but the percentile is based upon her performance as compared to others who have taken that same version of the test. To the best of my knowledge, schools make their decisions based on the actual scores, not the percentiles. Check out www.opted.org for a comparison of GPA and OAT scores for both of the schools you guys are interested in. She shouldn't wait to apply, but if she is retaking the test relatively soon, she would have her scores back before the application season begins in August/September. She should start working on the apps and getting her LORs now! Best of luck to you both! :luck:

Her best chance most likely is New England, they have a larger class to fill and the interviews are, from what i've heard, much less of an interogation! However, if she is able to get her application all together early in the admissions cycle she will have a very good chance at both schools. I can't recall exactly, but an 83rd percentile is pretty good. I'm not sure if this has changed since they moved to electronic testing, but the scores given out of 400 are equivalent to certain percentile rank ranges, 83rd would be a 340 right?