"Hey Does Anyone Know Which Schools..." - A List of Lists

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh, last date actually hit by a tornado/natural disaster might take more Intense research but be eye opening. I see “tornadoes” as a negative selection criteria on people’s lists here sometimes but they’re so rare overall I wonder what’s most common where.
Ours would technically be 3 days ago had ~5 funnel clouds in the surrounding area (thankfully nothing touched down that I heard of) but EXTREMELY rare here.

Members don't see this ad.

How am I not surprised CSU is in the top for Trader Joe's.

Would we count blizzards as natural disasters?

Reactions: 1 users

God I hope not, that wouldn't bode well for my school.

What about subzero temperatures? I'm sure some of the southern-originating students would call our periodic 30-below days with windchill of 50-60 below natural disasters.

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
We seem to have gotten serious again, but in case anyone wanted to know about proximity to Target, I retract any bragging I did upthread because I am disappointed in my state. Rankings determined with a combination of Target.com and Google Maps.

Ohio State - 0.6 miles
Arizona - 0.9 miles
Michigan State - 1.7 miles
Wisconsin - 2.1 miles
Iowa State & Florida - 2.2 miles
CSU - 2.3 miles
Penn - 2.4 miles
NCSU, Minnesota, and Western - 2.6
Texas A&M - 3.2
Cornell - 3.6
Kansas State - 3.7
Purdue - 4.1
Midwestern - 4.5
Davis - 4.8
Mizzou - 4.9
Georgia - 5.3
Illinois - 5.4
VMCVM - 5.6
LIU - 6.3
Tennessee - 8.5
Tufts - 8.6
Auburn - 9.3
LSU - 10.9
Oregon State - 14.5
Tuskegee - 24.6
Oklahoma State - 48.5
LMU - 65.2
Washington State - 72.5
Mississippi State - 87.6
To be fair, UMN might win by # of Targets in reasonable proximity...

Haha, I bet if you saw that the vet school had a target in 300 miles but 3 Walmart’s within 50 miles, you would go “hmmm”
I'm not saying you're wrong...

you know, other more important factors being the same

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
To be fair, UMN might win by # of Targets in reasonable proximity...

I almost followed up by doing that last night and then decided maybe I should do some of my thesis proposal rewrites. How do we want to define "reasonable proximity"?

Could be a project for today though.

• Haha
My fiance and his roommate are very concerned about the level of boredom this thread displays. They asked why y'all aren't doctoring and I told them y'all just got a lot of time before the next thing starts.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
My fiance and his roommate are very concerned about the level of boredom this thread displays. They asked why y'all aren't doctoring and I told them y'all just got a lot of time before the next thing starts.

I am not a doctor and therefore am COMPLETELY justified in making lists of vet schools. I have memorized the city that each one is in now, that's something.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I said I was bored in the first post!!!

I could be working on my paper or unpacking but this seems more fun :thinking:

• Haha
Does someone want to do the closest Starbucks, or the school with the most Starbucks in close proximity? I'd say coffee shop, but I feel like all of us have a coffee shop of some sort in our cafeteria (if the school has a cafe).

Members don't see this ad :)
Does someone want to do the closest Starbucks, or the school with the most Starbucks in close proximity? I'd say coffee shop, but I feel like all of us have a coffee shop of some sort in our cafeteria (if the school has a cafe).
You don’t need a Starbucks if you got good coffee on campus or like a Dunkin’ every few miles... lol

But also don’t have the energy to compile useful lists. Just enough to wonder about them.

like is there any vet school other than CSU that has a bubba gumps within an hour’s drive?
There's one almost exactly an hour from here :D

You don’t need a Starbucks if you got good coffee on campus or like a Dunkin’ every few miles... lol

We have an Einstein's Bagels in our building and it's..... less than ideal coffee-wise. We have either Starbucks, Espresso Royale, Dunkin', or small coffee shops. I'm personally not a fan of Dunkin'. Espresso Royale is more cozy than Starbucks to study at. Everything else is at the opposite end of town from Vet Med :(

We have an Einstein's Bagels in our building and it's..... less than ideal coffee-wise. We have either Starbucks, Espresso Royale, Dunkin', or small coffee shops. I'm personally not a fan of Dunkin'. Espresso Royale is more cozy than Starbucks to study at. Everything else is at the opposite end of town from Vet Med :(

I guess it matters a lot if you like to study at coffee shops. I just need the fastest drive thru. I don’t like the flavor of starbucks coffee. I’m more of a fan of cheap watery coffee with a lot of cream. So Dunkin’ and Mickey D’s are where it’s at for me.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
But also don’t have the energy to compile useful lists. Just enough to wonder about them.

like is there any vet school other than CSU that has a bubba gumps within an hour’s drive?
I believe UMN wins this one. Bubba Gump is about 22 minutes away. Though Western in California wins “most Bubba Gumps within an hours drive” at a whopping four locations, with the closest being about half an hour away.

Does anyone have any info on competitive OOS Colorado stats? I applied last cycle and was rejected without an interview but interviewed at Kstate OOS and waitlisted and interviewed at my in state Mizzou and also waitlisted!! I really want to apply to Colorado again if I don’t get pulled this summer from the waitlists I’m on but I don’t want to if I don’t really have a chance of even getting an interview!

Last edited:
@alissa14 I've only skimmed the thread so not sure if this was already mentioned ... but VMCVM is not 2+2. Years 1 and 2 are didactic, the summer between 2nd & 3rd year is clinics, back to the classroom for 3rd year, then clinics 4th year :)

And @WildZoo VMCVM can be added Lowest OOS Acceptance Rates list. It's ~2.8%

Lastly, ya'll are out of control with your metrics!! :p

@WildZoo not sure how you broke down lowest OOS acceptance especially cause our school has all the campuses and contract seats. WSU/WIMU is ~1.5% for true OOS people
It was based on an AAVMC chart and needs some tweaking because of things like contract seats and such that aren't reported consistently across schools. I'll do some more digging and update it :)

Reactions: 2 users
Does anyone have any info on competitive OOS Colorado stats? I applied last cycle and was rejected without an interview but interviewed at Kstate OOS and waitlisted and interviewed at my in state Mizzou and also waitlisted!! I really want to apply to Colorado again if I don’t get pulled this summer from the waitlists I’m on but I don’t want to if I don’t really have a chance of even getting an interview!
did you do a file review with CSU and the other schools, because that's going to be your best bet for actually improving toward an interview for your specific situation.
Looked at CSU's vetmed website (BTW WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO IT? IT'S TERRIBLE TO NAVIGATE!) they used to have a statement basically saying anyone with less than a 3.2GPA undergoes early review for rejection vs moving on.

Reactions: 3 users
@WildZoo not sure how you broke down lowest OOS acceptance especially cause our school has all the campuses and contract seats. WSU/WIMU is ~1.5% for true OOS people
I'm getting about 2.7% (35 seats total for Pullman and Logan for 1272 applicants), is there something I'm missing? Belongs on the list I just want to make sure I'm not messing up the numbers.

I haven't been able to find GPA ranges specific to OOS applicants unfortunately. Just know it's probably going to be relatively high since their overall average is 3.6 and they only accepted 40-50 of over 2000 OOS applicants.
did you do a file review with CSU and the other schools, because that's going to be your best bet for actually improving toward an interview for your specific situation.
Looked at CSU's vetmed website (BTW WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO IT? IT'S TERRIBLE TO NAVIGATE!) they used to have a statement basically saying anyone with less than a 3.2GPA undergoes early review for rejection vs moving on.

I'm getting about 2.7% (35 seats total for Pullman and Logan for 1272 applicants), is there something I'm missing? Belongs on the list I just want to make sure I'm not messing up the numbers.
Most of those go to people from contract states, even if they don’t get WICHE funding

I took the true OOS from their website https://dvm.vetmed.wsu.edu/admissions/class-statistics
Shows ~15 OOS spots total out of ~1000 applications. Usually ~10 spots to Logan and ~5 spots to Pullman. I know things get dicey and weird here because they will admit students from WICHE states without finding so are technically OOS. ie in my class I think there are only ~6 of us in Pullman that are true OOS with an additional ~10 being from WICHE states not sponsored. AKA list it however you wish :)

I took the true OOS from their website https://dvm.vetmed.wsu.edu/admissions/class-statistics
Shows ~15 OOS spots total out of ~1000 applications. Usually ~10 spots to Logan and ~5 spots to Pullman. I know things get dicey and weird here because they will admit students from WICHE states without finding so are technically OOS. ie in my class I think there are only ~6 of us in Pullman that are true OOS with an additional ~10 being from WICHE states not sponsored. AKA list it however you wish :)
Ah ok I think the AAVMC total was counting non-resident and non-sponsored seats together. So I'll just list both numbers haha

I haven't been able to find GPA ranges specific to OOS applicants unfortunately. Just know it's probably going to be relatively high since their overall average is 3.6 and they only accepted 40-50 of over 2000 OOS applicants.

I wasn’t able to do a file review with CSU because I didn’t get an interview so they were like “here’s some general tips that’s all you get try again next time” so I didn’t know if anyone had specific tips. I did do file reviews with both schools I was waitlisted at and was basically told to continue gaining experience and reapply if I don’t get pulled. Academically I feel I am pretty solid, I’ve greatly increased my hours but am lacking in large animal and am working on that now! I’m hoping with an improved application and an actual Bachelors degree in my hand that’ll help?? I’m so nervous to reapply! But also excited. Thanks for the links!

I wasn’t able to do a file review with CSU because I didn’t get an interview so they were like “here’s some general tips that’s all you get try again next time” so I didn’t know if anyone had specific tips. I did do file reviews with both schools I was waitlisted at and was basically told to continue gaining experience and reapply if I don’t get pulled. Academically I feel I am pretty solid, I’ve greatly increased my hours but am lacking in large animal and am working on that now! I’m hoping with an improved application and an actual Bachelors degree in my hand that’ll help?? I’m so nervous to reapply! But also excited. Thanks for the links!
Definitely should post in the What Are My Chances subforum if you haven’t already.

How do OOS admissions work for WSU, with the two campuses? Do you randomly get assigned to Pullman or Logan, or do you apply to one specifically?

How do OOS admissions work for WSU, with the two campuses? Do you randomly get assigned to Pullman or Logan, or do you apply to one specifically?
When you submit your application if you're a true OOS student aka not from WICHE states then you are considered for an interview. Once invited for an interview then they ask how you would like to be considered options: pullman only, logan only, or both. Based on your answer then they kind of separate applicants out. For example when I applied I only was going to go to WSU if I was accepted to Pullman so I did not ask for consideration for admission to Logan. Logan students cannot gain residency.
So if you chose Logan only then you would not be considered for the Pullman positions. If you chose both then you are considered in both pools when they are making offers

When you submit your application if you're a true OOS student aka not from WICHE states then you are considered for an interview. Once invited for an interview then they ask how you would like to be considered options: pullman only, logan only, or both. Based on your answer then they kind of separate applicants out. For example when I applied I only was going to go to WSU if I was accepted to Pullman so I did not ask for consideration for admission to Logan. Logan students cannot gain residency.
So if you chose Logan only then you would not be considered for the Pullman positions. If you chose both then you are considered in both pools when they are making offers
Ok, thank you so much! I was looking on WSU’s admissions website and was having trouble finding anything specific, so I really appreciate the help.

I believe UMN wins this one. Bubba Gump is about 22 minutes away. Though Western in California wins “most Bubba Gumps within an hours drive” at a whopping four locations, with the closest being about half an hour away.

What a weird one for MN to win. I would not have predicted that.

I've also never been to a Bubba Gump though so not sure what I'm missing out on.

What a weird one for MN to win. I would not have predicted that.

I've also never been to a Bubba Gump though so not sure what I'm missing out on.
It's like a red lobster and TGIfridays had a baby and then just replayed Forrest Gump on the TVs

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
How am I not surprised CSU is in the top for Trader Joe's.

I had no idea what a Trader Joe's was when I moved here and now I live walking distance from it. It's problematic for my wallet
God I hope not, that wouldn't bode well for my school.

What about subzero temperatures? I'm sure some of the southern-originating students would call our periodic 30-below days with windchill of 50-60 below natural disasters.
I'm not saying this weather is illegal, but it was mid 70s earlier and I needed to grab a blanket so make of that what you will
Looked at CSU's vetmed website (BTW WHAT HAVE THEY DONE TO IT? IT'S TERRIBLE TO NAVIGATE!)
Omg it's freaking horrible, I can't find a dang thing on it anymore.

I think CSU would rank extremely highly for Subway.

I'm personally curious about the Taco Bell, Red Lobster, and Olive Garden distances though

Also, 10/10 love Texas Roadhouse. A bunch of my classmates and I would go there after big tests to inhale rolls and joke around with the waiters.

Not going to lie to you, I have been to the Champaign Texas Roadhouse exactly once because 5 miles is way too far of a drive. lol.
Ironically I went there the night before my Illinois interview in 2015. :laugh:
Putting this here because I have conducted this kind of research for like a week. Some schools aren’t on here bc I’ve already eliminated them from the pool of schools to apply to and they’re organized by what my top choices are. Some of my notes only apply to me personally but the information can still be helpful nonetheless

Edit: looking back I kinda look psychotic? But that’s okay. Also ignore the 2nd and 3rd sheet

Just to clarify for K-State as well, unless something's changed it's not possible to gain IS tuition after matriculating. I had to sign something agreeing to pay OOS tuition all 4 years. As far as gaining residency before matriculating, that I'm not sure about.
Oh, last date actually hit by a tornado/natural disaster might take more Intense research but be eye opening. I see “tornadoes” as a negative selection criteria on people’s lists here sometimes but they’re so rare overall I wonder what’s most common where.
K-State might "win" as far as tornados, main campus got hit by one in 2008. But the vet school wasn't damaged!

I'm tempted to research number of Starbucks in town for each (or distance to the closest Starbucks), but it might get complicated if we're including ones inside grocery stores/Targets/etc. as well.

Ironically I went there the night before my Illinois interview in 2015.

I went to Seven Saints and it is now my official favorite restaurant in town. I may or may not have made it so that the end of the year fraternity banquet is held at this restaurant. :D

• Haha
I'm tempted to research number of Starbucks in town for each (or distance to the closest Starbucks), but it might get complicated if we're including ones inside grocery stores/Targets/etc. as well.

This is contributing to why I haven't done Starbucks yet.

MN has a competing chain called Caribou Coffee, but I don't know how regional that is. We didn't have them where I grew up (NYC suburbs).

This is contributing to why I haven't done Starbucks yet.

MN has a competing chain called Caribou Coffee, but I don't know how regional that is. We didn't have them where I grew up (NYC suburbs).
IIRC, there are at least a couple of Caribou Coffees in the KC, Missouri area, but Starbucks is definitely much more common on the whole here. One of my preferred gas stations also serves Caribou.