Here is the APHA stance on BURNOUT among pharmacists. please read.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sozetone

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
First, here is the link:

Addressing Burnout Among Pharmacists

Now, This is what she said. in a nutshell.

"Keynote Speaker, Eileen McDargh, CSP, CPAE, of the Resiliency Group discussed how to create a healthy work-life balance by improving resiliency. “Resilience is all about energy management. Do you have the mental, emotional, and physical hardiness to keep on keeping on? And how we get energy is through the connections that we make,” she said. "

So, it's not any ones fault we are burnt out, and the burden of responsibility lies on US, the pharmacists to adjust and adapt. No mention of poor working conditions, big corporations exploiting over-saturation, schools pumping out students....NOTHING. Just simply get "resilient" , learn to "adapt to change". It's like they are in bed with corporate america or something? are they just totally blind or do they not care anymore, because the APHA is really looking embarrassing at this point. I assume it's the latter, but who knows. i mean, they can't be that dumb to overlook whats happening, right? :)

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
I thought this subforum was dead, first post on 5 days!

How does APhA have it's own building right outside the Lincoln Memorial? It's embarrassing that this organization is headquartered right outside our national landmark.

I thought this subforum was dead, first post on 5 days!

How does APhA have it's own building right outside the Lincoln Memorial? It's embarrassing that this organization is headquartered right outside our national landmark.

It’s symbolic. Washington is its own ecosystem and has no sense of what’s going on in the rest of the country. Seems like APhA operates the same way. They live in their own bubble too.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I mean blaming the victim is a time honored tradition, is it not? Of course if you burn out it is because you weren't gritty enough. :unsure:

Reactions: 2 users
It amazes me how not only are they recognizing there is a problem, but then they blame the pharmacist for not being "tough enough", essentially. I think that's just awful.

Throw them in a busy store, let's see how tough they are.

“Not only do you work incredibly long hours, you have patients coming in and asking you why they can’t get the drug that they want because their healthcare provider changed the formulary,” she said. “Is it any wonder that there are days that you go home and are so tired.”

This and variants on the theme occurs at least 30 times a day and so does not even qualify as a stressor

APhA is a joke, no surprises here.

Reactions: 1 users
Worst of all, they are blaming the very same group that pays their dues and are the very people for whom they are supposed to advocate.

Reactions: 1 user
This and variants on the theme occurs at least 30 times a day and so does not even qualify as a stressor

Since when does a healthcare provider change a formulary anyway? Or do we call PBMs healthcare providers now?

This speaker knows nothing about pharmacy, she is out of touch. Just like the organization that hired her.

It shows how they don’t even know.. their healthcare provider did not Change the formulary the insurance company did.

Pharmacy would be a dream job if we did not have to deal with insurance

Since when does a healthcare provider change a formulary anyway? Or do we call PBMs healthcare providers now?

Haha you beat me to the punch here. Great minds think alike

Basically the take home message is :

We know your burnt out and exhausted.

We don't care, become more "resilient".

We have no intentions on helping in any way to alleviate your workload, or working conditions.

Just deal with it.....AKA "get resilient"

Awesome......I'm glad now i never joined or bothered with them. No support in times of trouble = actually contributing to the upcoming disaster called pharmacy.

I feel so badly about what has happened to the practice of pharmacy.

Throw them in a busy store, let's see how tough they are.

LOL, would that not be awesome? get this girl for one month in my ghetto store at high volume and as she crumbles with panic and fear, getting more and more overwhelmed, tanking the business. , just tell her "it's okay, you just need to work on your "resilience"...." oh and i need those numbers up by months end or we have to have an accountability discussion, possibly leading to termination. but do keep focused on your "resilience"...learn to adapt... LMAO......

They wouldn't last 2 days lol.

APHA does not represent pharmacists (and hasn't since I dropped my membership in the mid 90's.) Probably they had quit representing pharmacists way before then, but it took me a few years out of school to realize the APHA that was sold to pharmacy students was not the real APHA.

APHA does not represent pharmacists (and hasn't since I dropped my membership in the mid 90's.) Probably they had quit representing pharmacists way before then, but it took me a few years out of school to realize the APHA that was sold to pharmacy students was not the real APHA.
They represent whichever rich owners still exist..the chains...drug companies..wholesalers..etc.....just not the average RPh. flunky...like me...never have..never will...

A clueless college student goes to pharmacy school, blindly believes everything they are told by a clueless pharmacy professor, probably does some administration residency, then joins APhA to become a "leader" in our profession. It's a tale as old as time.

• Love
Another pharmacy organization that is clueless.

First, here is the link:

Addressing Burnout Among Pharmacists

Now, This is what she said. in a nutshell.

"Keynote Speaker, Eileen McDargh, CSP, CPAE, of the Resiliency Group discussed how to create a healthy work-life balance by improving resiliency. “Resilience is all about energy management. Do you have the mental, emotional, and physical hardiness to keep on keeping on? And how we get energy is through the connections that we make,” she said. "

So, it's not any ones fault we are burnt out, and the burden of responsibility lies on US, the pharmacists to adjust and adapt. No mention of poor working conditions, big corporations exploiting over-saturation, schools pumping out students....NOTHING. Just simply get "resilient" , learn to "adapt to change". It's like they are in bed with corporate america or something? are they just totally blind or do they not care anymore, because the APHA is really looking embarrassing at this point. I assume it's the latter, but who knows. i mean, they can't be that dumb to overlook whats happening, right? :)
Is that Keynote speaker a Pharmacist?? What Qualifies her to say something like that? I always get the feeling there are people advocating for pharmacy that are not even pharmacists. Just like American Pharmacist Association

Is that Keynote speaker a Pharmacist?? What Qualifies her to say something like that? I always get the feeling there are people advocating for pharmacy that are not even pharmacists. Just like American Pharmacist Association

Yeah , its like saying "the problem is the pharmacists, not their workload/conditions" "they just need to be tougher", what a scumbag.....