Heme onc compensation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

meddev

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have more specific data on heme onc compensation? Specifically, what are early career salaries out of fellowship in academics vs. private practice? What are mid career (10+ yrs) salaries in academics vs. private practice? Anecdotal data points are helpful too.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone have more specific data on heme onc compensation? Specifically, what are early career salaries out of fellowship in academics vs. private practice? What are mid career (10+ yrs) salaries in academics vs. private practice? Anecdotal data points are helpful too.
I’m in academics (leukemia) but interviewed for hybrid, community hospital/university affiliated and private practice positions. In the north east average starting salary is 200-250k in academics, in hybrid/university affiliated probably more around 275-350k (one was up around 375k but I didn’t get the sense that was uniform across the area) and true private practice 350+ (one offer was 425k). This is just the northeast. Everything pays better in less desirable locations

The only caveat to this as far as academic positions go would be whether there’s any rvu based (billing based or productivity based) bonus. This can also apply to a true academician whereby your academic output could qualify you for a “productivity” bonus. I’m not sure how uniform this is at specific centers but where these incentive based bonuses exist, especially if you are more on the clinical side in an academic position, this could easily increase salary by a lot if you’re willing to see more patients.

I’m in academics (leukemia) but interviewed for hybrid, community hospital/university affiliated and private practice positions. In the north east average starting salary is 200-250k in academics, in hybrid/university affiliated probably more around 275-350k (one was up around 375k but I didn’t get the sense that was uniform across the area) and true private practice 350+ (one offer was 425k). This is just the northeast. Everything pays better in less desirable locations

The only caveat to this as far as academic positions go would be whether there’s any rvu based (billing based or productivity based) bonus. This can also apply to a true academician whereby your academic output could qualify you for a “productivity” bonus. I’m not sure how uniform this is at specific centers but where these incentive based bonuses exist, especially if you are more on the clinical side in an academic position, this could easily increase salary by a lot if you’re willing to see more patients.
Thanks this is really helpful. Do you know how growth looks and what the general mid-career range would be?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks this is really helpful. Do you know how growth looks and what the general mid-career range would be?
Harder to say but in academics somewhat dependent on ability to make your way up the ladder to associate and eventually professor. In community/hybrid/private did assume 10 yrs in things look a good deal rosier. At least 400-600K

Reactions: 3 users
In community/PP settings, income growth is almost exclusively going to be a result of practice growth. The more experienced you get, the more meat you'll be able to move and the more money you'll make. People don't generally get a higher base salary or more $/wRVU just for being more experienced.

I make ~$200K more/year now than I did 5 years ago, but that is about 90% due to me seeing 50% more patients a day now than I did 5 years ago, and 10% due to increases in base and productivity comp rates.

Reactions: 1 users