Hem/Onc fellowship application thread 2010-2011!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did UTMB send out invitations already?

Members don't see this ad :)
Invite: :thumbup: UTMB Galveston today evening.

:thumbdown: : Did someone get a letter from MUSC South Carolina? Such a nice letter to say they are rejecting me. Because of confusing language, it took a while to realize they are politely declining the application. Did anyone felt the same?

Well, not looking good.

Many, many rejections!! Only 2 IVs.

Just wondering, has anyone heard from UT San Antonio (rej or IV)?

As my list of programs is coming to an end I wanted to post my list so other applicants in the future can use it as a reference: (please see other post for credentials)

IV's:
University of Utah
UC Davis
UNLV
USC
UTMB

Rejections:
OHSU
University of Washington
University of Colorado
SUNI Buffalo

I had applied to many other programs but because I am so pleased with my invites I retracted quite a few of my applications (wish I could have seen the future as I could have saved a bit of money).

City of Hope invite yesterday.

Last edited:
Any one interviewing on 28th at UF Gainsville?

Any inputs about University of Maryland .. will appreciate

Any inputs about University of Maryland .. will appreciate

Seemed reasonable, though the great majority of fellows go private rather than academic/industry. Strong phase I program with Dr Sausville.

Research Question. Is it true programs that like research such as OHSU, Hutch etc prefer applicants interested in translational research over clinical research with phase trials. Or when programs say research is preferred they consider translational equal to clinical research. Anyone know? Thank you.

Members don't see this ad :)
Did anyone interview at U Conn?
I haven't started interviewing yet, and wanted to find out what kind of questions are generally asked by the faculty (not just at UConn but elsewhere as well).
How does one prepare for interviews?

Cleveland Clinic rejection today. Can't say I'm too upset about this one..

Anyone hear anything from these programs below rejections and/or interview offers.

Arkansas
Rush
St. Lukes New York
Cincinnati
Tulane
Mayo Jacksonville
Beaumont

Anyone hear anything from these programs below rejections and/or interview offers.

Arkansas
Rush
St. Lukes New York
Cincinnati
Tulane
Mayo Jacksonville
Beaumont

Arkansas says still reviewing applications. Beaumont probably done giving out interviews. The others; no idea!

Anybody with thoughts regarding Brown's program/reputation?

It's not bad by any means but it's kind of a community program with a university name. They suffer from their proximity to Boston and lose a lot of the referral base they would otherwise have to Boston programs. They have to ship fellows out to do BMT rotations (I don't remember where off the top of my head). They have little in the way of basic science research.

That said, I have heard that it is a pretty friendly place and I think Providence is a nice town.

Hello all!

Just wondering, how soon after do you all send thank you letters?
Also, do you send them to the interviewer and a cc to the program coordinator? Just wondering what you all are approaching this. Input greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Hello all!

Just wondering, how soon after do you all send thank you letters?
Also, do you send them to the interviewer and a cc to the program coordinator? Just wondering what you all are approaching this. Input greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Quickly...a day or two. Email is fine.

DO NOT CC!!! It's a great idea to send notes to the PD, any interviewers and the PC. They should have (at least slightly) different content and they should NOT BE CC'D!

Thanks gutonc for your comments. Recently interviewed there and could not agree more on the friendliness of the program and very strong clinical training. I must say that they have stepped up a lot regarding bench and translational research, with active involvement by the fellows. BMT month is currently at UMass but a BMT service is in the works to open at RIH in the near future. Cannot really comment of the referral issue, but they seem to have more than enough volume as they are the only major tertiary care center in ALL of RI (which I know isn't all that big...)

Hey... Heard from a friend in Cali that Loma Linda just got a new Hem Onc fellowship and taking folks for July 2011... Anyone know something about the program?

Hey... Heard from a friend in Cali that Loma Linda just got a new Hem Onc fellowship and taking folks for July 2011... Anyone know something about the program?
I thought they already have a fellowship program, are you saying they have an extra position maybe?

Hi Guys,
Any inputs about this Program.
Thanx...

Hi Guys,
Any inputs about this Program.
Thanx...

Have a similar question.

Excluding location and based solely on reputation and training.

Which is stronger?

Case Western or University of Rochester?

Hi has anybody already interviewed at MSU, East Lansing? Would really appreciate if you could share your experience. :)

Any one have any experience working at/rotating through Wayne State's Hem/Onc program? If so, your input would be great. I'm looking for an academic/research heavy program.
I'm less than excited about a place like Detroit but will make any move for a great program.
Thanks.

This question keeps recurring:
My experience from last year was if someone didnt match, the excuse was they didnt interview at enough programs, and if they did well then they interviewed at too many (w/some exceptions)... obviously.

There are two groups out there:
1) Those trying to simply match somewhere
2) Those selecting between several options
I dont think the criteria that programs are searching for is mysterious, so which group you are in should definitely be very apparent by this point... numbers of actual interviews will vary from 1 (brave) to as many as possible, depending upon which group you fall in.

Good luck guys - believe me, it will be worth it when next year you are flying to cali/fla relax on the beach and not racing through in formalwear and a carry-on! (that was single-handedly the worst part for me coming from the midwest - first time and cali and im there <24 hrs and didnt even see the pacific!)

Speaking of the match,,,how and when do we register to the NRMP match?

This question keeps recurring:
My experience from last year was if someone didnt match, the excuse was they didnt interview at enough programs, and if they did well then they interviewed at too many (w/some exceptions)... obviously.

There are two groups out there:
1) Those trying to simply match somewhere
2) Those selecting between several options
I dont think the criteria that programs are searching for is mysterious, so which group you are in should definitely be very apparent by this point... numbers of actual interviews will vary from 1 (brave) to as many as possible, depending upon which group you fall in.

Good luck guys - believe me, it will be worth it when next year you are flying to cali/fla relax on the beach and not racing through in formalwear and a carry-on! (that was single-handedly the worst part for me coming from the midwest - first time and cali and im there <24 hrs and didnt even see the pacific!)

How about adding a third group, those who didnt get any interviews...
Still waiting or to be more precise not waiting anymore

Any news from UAB, Thanks
Also comments on univ of Virginia, Indiana univ and Virginia commonwealth program.

Recent rejection from U of Chicago and Fox Chase but overall, things have been very quiet. I still haven't heard from about 20 programs, but assume they are rejections at this point.

Advice appreciated

Based purely on fellowship strength and reputation among academic faculty.

Which is stronger

Case Western or University of Rochester?

Does anyone know anything about SUNY Downstate program?

why pick case western above U of R?

Academic reputation is related to research. I am sure that both case western and rochester would offer excellent clinical training, but the breadth of research training (either clinical, basic, or translational) is greater at Case Western.

All that being said, I am not interviewing at either program, so you can take my two cents with a grain of salt.

Hi all,

It is an earnest request that if any one is planning to cancel interview @ Darmoth-Hitchcock, NH please do so asap. This will be a big help for me as I received an e-mail from them today stating that they will call me for an interview if any one cancels. Please do so now if you are not planning to attend.

This will be very much appreciated.......

Good Luck to all !!!

Just talked to a program today and they said all applications have been reviewed and I am on hold.

What does HOLD mean?