Help with where should I apply/chances!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Betty White

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm in a dilemma so I could use all the help I can!

My first semester of college I did not have my head on straight. I received a D in Sociology, D in Ancient Medieval Arts, and an F in Pre-Calc. I was immature, assumed I could slide by like high school, and I did not like the University I was at at the time AT ALL. I admit that it was all my fault and take full responsibility. I transferred after my first year at that University to a different University. Every semester after that I have had a 3.5 GPA and above and have made the Deans List every semester (6 semesters after the first) as well, and I will make the Deans List this semester so that will be 7 semesters. After transferring, I buckled down and got my head on straight and focused on school. I have now been at this University for 3 years now (4 years in college total). I will have to spend an extra year here but I will only have 5 classes for the entire year next year (some are only offered in the Spring and some are only offered in the Fall, which is why I can't merge them all to the same semester).

My major is Microbiology. My GPA at the University I am at now is 3.68. My overall science GPA is a 3.54. My major GPA is a 3.82. Now this is my dilemma; my cumulative GPA from the University I transferred from and the University I am at now is a 3.340. It is solely due to my first semester of college. Depending on how I do this semester my cumulative could go to a 3.345 or a 3.373, so really it wouldn't change that much. It isn't going to change by much because I will have completed 107 hours. My GPA at the University I am at now would change a little more, but I didn't include what it would change to because I didn't think it was important. As you can tell, my improvement from my first semester is substantial and I have been told that your last 2-3 years are looked at more heavily, as well as your science GPA.

I have 100 hours of general dentistry shadowing, 16 hours of oral surgery shadowing, 600+ hours of volunteering (no health related volunteering), and I am in two clubs at school. One of the clubs is the pre-professional club here and I hold an officer position in that club. I am also on a committee that recruits local dentists, physicians, and optometrists to volunteer at a RAM Clinic that we host once a year which gives free medical care to people who need it. I am taking the DAT July 2nd and plan on applying as soon as I am done taking it if I score well. My question is, what are my chances? I am shooting for as high of a DAT score as possible and I am gonna start studying as soon as this semester is over. I am a Tennessee resident so I am applying to both in-state schools and all the surrounding southern schools. I will more than likely apply to other places if funds permit.

If you want to know any specifics don't hesitate to ask, I am not embarrassed. Sorry for such a long post.
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Your GPA from your first university should not be a red flag since you have shown a consistent improvement since then. If you're trying to stay a little closer to home, I would recommend Louisville. Good luck!

Your GPA from your first university should not be a red flag since you have shown a consistent improvement since then. If you're trying to stay a little closer to home, I would recommend Louisville. Good luck!

Thank you! I plan on applying to both Louisville and UK!

Reactions: 1 user