Help with ROL

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

camtber

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by camtber
Hi. I know that a similar post has been posted before, but my situation is a little different...

No offense, but it sounds pretty much the same- ie, should i go to the higher ranked program vs the smaller, less known program that i really like....and, not knowing your situation, i don't know what will be best for you. everything is so individual, and perhaps the people who can help you the most are the people that know you best, ie family, friends, collegues, mentor, your rec letter writers....

as for me, i would go to the program i like the best overall. i have ranked a lesser known program as my top choice because i liked what it had to offer overall. however, number 2-7 are much more prestigous and highly sought after programs. But, that's because name isn't the only important factor to me.

anyway, good luck with the match...i really can't think of any life-altering advice to give you....

When it comes to the ROL, abide by the maxim: go with the gut. Rank that bad boy #1. You'll be a huge fish in a tiny pond there, and you can wield your dominence throughout the hospital, chomping up little goldfish along the way.

I wasnt clear on whether or not you wanted a fellowship. But I think if you do want a fellowship, you should go to a big name program, especially if those fellowships are hard to get.
There is a lot of benefit to going to a big name program when it comes to getting a fellowship or a job especially if you are not sure where you want to be or if you want to be in a competitve market....but if you know you want to be where the not ton ten program is eventually, then you might as well just train there.
i think going to a big name famous program keeps your options open for the future....I was in a similar dilemma myself :p

anaismd - what did you finally decide?

I decided to go with the big name program
because at least I will have the confidence that I am getting a great education and confidence in knowing that I might have a slight advantage when applying for fellowships
I know a lot of people feel that you should say to hell with the big names but in this case, I know I will get better training at the big name program and I would probably regret turning it down in the long run for the other program (the one that's where i eventually want to live with the easier call schedule and more fun residents
and more fun surroundings)
although who knows...if i end up at the big name program, there will probably be days when i will wonder what i was thinking....

Camtber and Anaismd, just don't go with the idea big=fellowship. That small program you really like might just be well known and respected by the fellowship program you want to go to! CALL several fellowship programs and ask them!!!!!! You have absolutely NOTHING TO LOSE!! If you can't get a hold of anyone there to answer your question "what are my chances of getting a fellowship if I go to program x?", contact the PD of program x! He may give you biased advice, but then again, he might not.