Help with choosing state for licensure?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wrk

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone can offer some advice for choosing which state to become licensed in. I am not sure what state I will end up in, but am considering Tennessee and Florida. I am trying to figure out what would be the smartest way to go about this, as I have heard it may be cheaper to become licensed in a different state and then transfer it. Please help! Thanks :)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi all,

I am wondering if anyone can offer some advice for choosing which state to become licensed in. I am not sure what state I will end up in, but am considering Tennessee and Florida. I am trying to figure out what would be the smartest way to go about this, as I have heard it may be cheaper to become licensed in a different state and then transfer it. Please help! Thanks :)
License yourself where you're going to live-which I know might be a hard thing to do if you dont know yet. I'm not close to looking at licensure yet, but based on what I think your asking licensing doesnt work that way from my limited knowledge. Others please correct me if I'm wrong. You take your navle and then choose a state to send your results to. Also FL requires an additional board exam to become licensed which I'm pretty sure you take after vet school is over. So I'm pretty sure you cant persay transfer it in the way you're talking. It would possibly be different if you were already out practicing and then moving states vs just picking where to go right after school. However from my understanding at least in my home state theres no discount for transferring. You pay their full fees when applying from a different state. I cant imagine other states are different.

Hi all,

You can get licensed in a different state than you chose when registering for NAVLE .You'll have to pay that state's licensing fees again, so the fee doesn't transfer or anything. I think all the states that you can apply straight through ICVA it's just a $50 fee or something, so if you don't know where you'll end up and either TN or FL is one of those states, I'd just do that. You can transfer your NAVLE to another state later no problem.

Reactions: 1 users
TN is probably easier than FL to get licensed in when you consider all the "extras". FL has a law and rules test and it isn't uncommon for people to fail it their first time.