Help! Ques for orthop surgeons

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

galen

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I need to know what is the way to determine that my distal femural osteotomy has become a NON-UNION. Tomography??? I am at 61/2 months post op
Much new callus formation in last 3 mos. but I still need to use cane for any distance...My surgeon wants to go in again and tighten screws, recompress plate, file away callus and stick in more bone matter (from my hip) This is the LAST thing I want to do since it has taken so long to
heal already.
BTW He claims that the stainless steel plate can crack & cause infection if I keep stressing it. Is this likely???? so far all screws and plate are holding perfectly w no movement...
Please help--I live out in Oregon and want to walk again with no pain. Should I keep waiting for this to ossify??? Or undergo an iffy surgery AGAIN???:( :confused:

Members don't see this ad.

Please help-- this is not a joke or hypothetical question. I know this operation is tricky & wish Id never agreed to it (was done to straighten out slight valgus deformity of leg & put wt on good, undamaged medial compartment of knee]
My main ? is how to determine if this is a non-union or just a delayed union:( :mad:

104 ortho & surg drs have read this and noone has an idea? :confused: :rolleyes:

I am getting a 2nd opinion tomorrow & hope he will say "delayed union --keep waiting" :) (all fingers crossed) cause I dread another operation & being completely crippled for months....
I'd REALLY welcome any comments on this case if you know or can ask someone who would know

Good news!! 2nd Orthop Surg says to have tomography to tell if it is a non-union and wait till 3 months on bone stimulator before undergoing surgery. Hurray...now if it will only knit together....:clap: :clap: :clap:
BTW-he said it is a race between the bone healing and the plate cracking...