Help! Need to make a decision soon.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rittuvh

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I'm looking for rankings for graduate entry medical programs in Australia? Specifically which are the strong points of Usyd and Flinders as I am trying to make a choice between the two.
Would be wonderful if anyone could share their views.

- Rittu

Members don't see this ad.

The other thing you might want to look at is affliations the school has. For example Flinders has affliations with Columbia and Uni of New mexico. Not sure about USyd. Hope this helps.

DrIng said:
The other thing you might want to look at is affliations the school has. For example Flinders has affliations with Columbia and Uni of New mexico. Not sure about USyd. Hope this helps.

Not sure the affiliations makes any difference in the long run. At the time I was a student at Flinders we had several more affiliations than listed above, but I had no trouble in setting up visiting final year electives at many others schools. Frankly, I didn't rotate at a single "affiliated" school (they just weren't in the area I wanted to be).

I might argue that U of Sydney isn't really known better in the US - when I queried US academics before I matriculated most of them hadn't heard of any of the schools, other than an awareness that Sydney was in Australia and was a great city. A couple had specifically heard of Flinders (because they either were involved in setting up the PBL program there or had known others who had gone there previously - Aussies mostly). In the end, the reputation in the US is probably not significantly different. Most US medical faculty have not heard of either school in regards to its medical program or research (of which Flinders has plenty as well). Go whereever the lifestyle suits you best.

BTW, the academic world is not known for its professionalism or organization (this is true in the US), but flindophile does not exaggerate when he states that the program at Flinders did seem disorganized at times. I had always assumed it was the "Aussie way" but perhaps it was just the people there with a different time frame and motivation to do things. That said, I didn't have any significant problems.

Members don't see this ad :)
while we're on that, what about Sydney vs U Melbourne? or Sydney vs ANU? (still waiting to hear from them but worth wondering about anyway.) i like both sydney and melbourne as places to live so that's not a huge issue. canberra--no clue, haven't been, though Bill Bryson says it sucks :D

Well, I guess I might as well jump on the bandwagon. I don't know what other combinations people have in terms of deciding between two schools. I am having a difficult time between USyd and UQ. Of course, the decision to choose between them would only arise if I were accepted to both unis. I have heard that UQ is undergoing a major curriculum change and it might negatively impact the 2005 entry students. Has anyone heard this or can anyone provide information that would refute this?

The information I have on USyd is pretty comprehensive. However, my UQ information is quite old (not including the information from the UQ Web site and online fora such as SDN and ausmedstudent.com); I had a friend that graduated in 2003 from there but she has told me that the curriculum has changed since then.

banana k said:
while we're on that, what about Sydney vs U Melbourne? or Sydney vs ANU? (still waiting to hear from them but worth wondering about anyway.) i like both sydney and melbourne as places to live so that's not a huge issue. canberra--no clue, haven't been, though Bill Bryson says it sucks :D

ANU is a medical school that just opened this year, and is based off of a Sydney University Med Teaching hospital. Although the curriculum is practically identical, as with any brand new medical school, they are still in the "fine tuning phase" of the school (if that means anything). Canberra may be cheaper to live than Sydney, but you may get greater exposure to some specialties of med if you go to Sydney as well as probably give you greater access to a bigger variety of research opportunities. Also, if you prefer city life, great nightlife, and nice beaches.. your probably better off with USyd.

Melbourne University's program is primarily for school leavers meaning 1st years are going to be 18 years old. I do believe they have a few spots available each year for "graduate-entry". Melbourne also has great night life, decent beaches, and wonderful research. But the weather is rather dodgy at times.

Hope this helps!

If the intent is to apply for Aussie Permanent Resident after graduation as an international, which of the following med schools would be a better one to attend?

- Flinders U (South Australia)
- U of Sidney (New South Wales)
- U of Queensland (Queensland)
- Aus National U (???state)
- U of Melbourne (Vic)

Does the attendance at a specific med school retrict you to future opportunities within the state of that school? Does it make a difference? Would a school in a more sparsely populated state be a better bet?

Thanks. :)

this question has been answered many times...just do a search and you should find what you need