HELP! How many programs to rank in couples match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

D0cD0c

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me an idea of how many programs they think I (we) should rank?

I am couples matching with another med/peds-er. We are about equally competitive.

Members don't see this ad.

Not to pick on you, but I don't really understand the "how many should I rank" questions.

A standard rule for me, which applies whether you're doing a competitive specialty or not, in a competitive region or not, couple matching or not, or have other specific "complicating factors" or not, is:

1. Rank any program you could see yourself at for the next n years, given that:
2. You would prefer to be in that program for n years than not match anywhere.

There are fewer and fewer open spots in the scramble, to the point that I think you might as well assume scramble = no residency for you. It doesn't of course, but I think it is rare that your scramble is going to prove better than your bottom-ranked program. This is especially difficult for a couples match applicant- scrambling WITH someone else at the same program/region is even more unlikely.

If that doesn't help you, rank 15.

You should rank as many as possible--at least 80% of programs at which you interviewed. Leave out the one(s) that you (or your partner) absolutely cannot see yourself at for ANY reason that YOU feel is impt (residents, location, program structure, $$costs/salary etc).

Remember that listing a program is equivalent to signing a contract, so dont take it too lightly. Personally, I'd rather not match than be miserable for 4yrs. Hope this helps, GOOD LUCK :)

Members don't see this ad :)
You didn't really give much information. You both are equally competitive? Meaning you both failed Step 1 once or both of you scored 250+ on all steps.....?

Too many variables to accurately give you any advice.

You didn't really give much information. You both are equally competitive? Meaning you both failed Step 1 once or both of you scored 250+ on all steps.....?

Too many variables to accurately give you any advice.

Not enough information in your post.....

...But couples matching is more difficult and I know lots of couples that didn't match. As a rough estimate you should interview in about 50% more than the number you would if you were doing it alone based on just your credentials. It is getting late to submit new applications but I would certainly not be cancelling any at this point. After spending maybe a combined $300,000k on you education this isn't the time to get cheap by saving a few hundred on an interview.

Rank all of those that are acceptable. You do not want to have to scramble as a couple. That could be a disaster. You would most likely end up doing something other than med-peds or if you were lucky enough to get two med-peds positions in the same city or region they are likely to be very undesireable. Another thing you should consider is the two of you ranking different programs in the same city or region and plan on living half way in between. Not ideal but better than scrambling and making life course decisions in a few minutes.

Last edited: