Help -- Highschool Graduate, University Options...Which one is best for Med later on?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ArucasA

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could lend me some assistance as my school's guidance officials are really, really bad.

Theres about 2 weeks left of school, and I've received all my University acceptances. I really want to become a doctor one day, as its been one of my childhood dreams. I've done well in all my sciences and maths, so I know that pursuing a post-secondary education related in the science field should be okay.

My question is, does the University you do an undergrad in affect how Med schools accept you? Or is it based solely on grades? (Canadian Med Schools)

All my options at the moment are:

Carlton University - Biotechnology Co-op
University of Ottawa - Biology Co-op
University of Toronto - Computer Engineering Co-op
University of Waterloo - Systems Design Engineering Co-op
University of Guelph - Biological Engineering Co-op

I'm currently leaning towards either Guelph or Ottawa, but please.. ANY suggestions will help me greatly.. as I really have no one else to turn to. :(

Thanks!

-A.

Members don't see this ad.

I see, the only program that I've been accepted to that IS NOT a combination/career type (ie: biotech/bio eng) ..would be pure biology at Ottawa Uni. However, that being the case... there is always a possibility that I will change my mind, and not want to futher pursue a medical career... therefore, being in a regular pure bio program would leave me little options (career wise - postgrad).

So, then that leaves me with Biotechnology or Biological Engineering... at least there are options (career wise) which don't involve me being a lab rat :)

The next question I suppose, is which of the two offers be the best and right courses I need to apply for med school / succeed in the MCAT's ?

Thanks for your help!

-A.

I understand your dilemma, it's not easy putting in 4 years of effort and money into a 'singular' degree program when there is a possibility of not getting into medical school or changing your mind altogether. From what I have seen of friends who have done a combined program, those on the other side of the hiring table do not differentiate much between an honours bio and a biotech. degree. Both graduates have done the basic coursework and are ready for work/industry training. A coop option would introduce a person to a future work placement and give you an edge with hands-on, applied experience.

For most schools in Ontario and Canada, you need about 24 credits of sciences, from 6-12 credits of humanities and for some schools, some social sciences such as psychology. McMaster has no course prerequisites at all. For the MCAT, those 24 credits would be enough preparatory work as follows:
6 credits of General Chemistry (full year w/lab)
6 credits of Biology (full year w/lab)
6 credits of Organic Chemistry (full year w/lab)
6 credits of Physics (full year w/lab)

My main reason for advising you to steer clear of the demanding, professional combined degrees is that except for the prerequisite average, you and someone who did an arts/humanities degree, would be judged the same when looking at your GPA.

Marks are not everything but low grades certainly close many doors if you remain in the premedical route. Try to browse some Ontario medical schools' webpages and you'll get an idea of what they're looking for.

I hope this helps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmm... I see.. Okay, to achieve the highest gpa.. going for one of the combination degree's would make things harder. The thing is.. all the deadlines are already approaching, and applying to universities are all but over (I think).

If i'm left with what my options are at the moment... What is the best course of action?

Thanks,

-A.

Your best course of action now would be to pick one of the schools you've been accepted to and simply begin your coursework. The first year courses of most science degrees are similar and designed to give you the basics such as chemistry, physics, calculus and so on, so you don't need to be applying to new programs now.

Go to the undergraduate calendar of your top 2 university choices and compare their first year curricula. For example, you seem to be leaning towards the Biology coop at Ottawa U. and Biological engineering at Guelph. My guess is that the classes would be fairly similar except perhaps for an engineering first year course at Guelph. Coop doesn't begin till 2nd year. Go to both faculty websites and compare them.

After you completed your first year, you'll get a better idea of what the program is about and you'll know if you are ready to switch or you enjoy the coursework. At Ottawa U., it is easy to switch from a coop to a regular program if you'd like. Just make sure that your marks are high enough to give you the flexibility.

Try not to stress too much about making any changes now, it is impossible to know what you'd enjoy before experiencing it. Start in your most desirable program, complete the first year courses, and then make any decisions about what you'd like to do next.

If you have any questions about specific courses at Ottawa U., let me know. I'd be glad to help.

I hope this helps.

ArucasA said:
Hi, I was just wondering if anyone could lend me some assistance as my school's guidance officials are really, really bad.

Theres about 2 weeks left of school, and I've received all my University acceptances. I really want to become a doctor one day, as its been one of my childhood dreams. I've done well in all my sciences and maths, so I know that pursuing a post-secondary education related in the science field should be okay.

My question is, does the University you do an undergrad in affect how Med schools accept you? Or is it based solely on grades? (Canadian Med Schools)

All my options at the moment are:

Carlton University - Biotechnology Co-op
University of Ottawa - Biology Co-op
University of Toronto - Computer Engineering Co-op
University of Waterloo - Systems Design Engineering Co-op
University of Guelph - Biological Engineering Co-op

I'm currently leaning towards either Guelph or Ottawa, but please.. ANY suggestions will help me greatly.. as I really have no one else to turn to. :(

Thanks!

-A.

Hey, ArucasA.

Congratulations on your acceptances, you have an exciting 4 years ahead of you! The advice that Nora gave you was excellent and very insightful, but I would just like to support what she said.

I think the best idea for you is to choose an undergraduate major that you would be interested in pursuing a career in, but at the same time is something that will give you a high GPA. It can be hard to do both those things, so I suppose you just need to find a medium in there somewhere. As Nora already said, the first year courses are basically all the same no matter what science degree you take, so hopefully in that time your decision to try for medical school will be clear, and you can make a good solid decision on whether or not to go for the GPA or go for the major that will give you a secondary job.

For myself, I am going into my second year of university and my first year was definitely an eye-opener for me. On an orientation day, the president of my university (UBC) asked the science students to raise their hands, for those who wanted to go to med school. 90% of the students raised their hands. By the end of this year, 2/3 of my friends who said they wanted to go to med school have already changed their mind.

Regardless, people told me too that I would want to change my mind, and I still haven't. After taking high-school human biology, physiology courses at university, and being involved in an ambulance brigade, it has helped a lot to reinforce my goal to become a doctor, as I can clearly see I really love physiology, medicine, and helping people. Still, even for me, I must understand things can still change in the next 3 school years and I may still change my mind. But I digress...Basically, in a nutshell, you may like many other people change your mind after being in a year of university and realizing how much different from high-school it can be. But since I don't know you, you may very well have such a strong passion to pursue medicine like myself, and you will work your butt off and do whatever it takes to become a doctor.

Well, hopefully some of the stuff I have learned myself has been helpful to you, and always feel free to ask me or anyone more questions if you need help.