HELP! Buffalo vs. UMDNJ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I STILL can't decide whether I want to go to SUNY Buffalo or UMDNJ for Dental School so please help me out guys.

Buffalo is really really far from where I live, about 8 hours away, whereas UMNDJ is no more than 1 hour away.

However, I've heard great things about the education at Buffalo and mixed reviews about the education at UMDNJ. It seems as if the students at Buffalo get more of a say in terms of their classes and education than the students at UMDNJ. In trying to research both schools in depth, it's much easier to research and read about the wonderful things that a Buffalo education has to offer than UMDNJ. UMDNJ also has a trimester, meaning a significantly shorter summer break than Buffalo.

I've heard that I will get great clinical experience at both schools.

The difference in tuition, for me, would be about $8,000-$9,000 --- over the span of all four years.

Location-wise, both schools are in a downtown city area, although I believe Newark is probably a little bit more dangerous than Buffalo.

Oh, and one more thing, I really don't like snow (which I've heard Buffalo has a lot of - so many times that it may be to an exaggeration).

Any input ASAP would be greatly appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

I STILL can't decide whether I want to go to SUNY Buffalo or UMDNJ for Dental School so please help me out guys.

Buffalo is really really far from where I live, about 8 hours away, whereas UMNDJ is no more than 1 hour away.

However, I've heard great things about the education at Buffalo and mixed reviews about the education at UMDNJ. It seems as if the students at Buffalo get more of a say in terms of their classes and education than the students at UMDNJ. In trying to research both schools in depth, it's much easier to research and read about the wonderful things that a Buffalo education has to offer than UMDNJ. UMDNJ also has a trimester, meaning a significantly shorter summer break than Buffalo.

I've heard that I will get great clinical experience at both schools.

The difference in tuition, for me, would be about $8,000-$9,000 --- over the span of all four years.

Location-wise, both schools are in a downtown city area, although I believe Newark is probably a little bit more dangerous than Buffalo.

Oh, and one more thing, I really don't like snow (which I've heard Buffalo has a lot of - so many times that it may be to an exaggeration).

Any input ASAP would be greatly appreciated!

It seems from what you said, that you want to go to Buffalo. The only drawbacks from what you just said about buffalo is that its far and there is snow ( w/e, newark weather is not much better).

buffalo.

UMDNJ failure rate is 10%

+ umdnj tuition will rise. Just like it rose 21% last year.

-Umdnj has bad rep and many controversial ethical decisions made by them which only brought them "shame".

Personally i would choose buffalo over umdnj anyday.

Members don't see this ad :)
Buffalo has a great reputation and is one of the best clinical schools in the country. They also have a world-class faculty who truly care about their students.

If I were you the only reason you should choose UMDNJ is if you want to stay close to home.

buffalo.

UMDNJ failure rate is 10%

+ umdnj tuition will rise. Just like it rose 21% last year.

-Umdnj has bad rep and many controversial ethical decisions made by them which only brought them "shame".

Personally i would choose buffalo over umdnj anyday.

ps: 2010-2011 it jumped 21% in middle of august. Many people had to scramble and take loans with high interest just to pay it off.

this year 2011-2012 it rose 6%.