Help! Asking for LOR from non-professor who has never written one before.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

1realway

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Obviously this person is very important in my life, especially for leadership and volunteer service experience who can advocate strongly for me. (he is a pastor)

1) Is there anyone else who asked for LOR from this kind of person? Is this a good idea? How did your admission turn out?

2) He is asking me if there is any FORM he can follow in order to write the letter. I was searching online for this, but I could not find any answer. How should I go about doing this? Is there any structural/customary format that AMCAS require all the letter writers to follow? Or is it free of style and format?

Members don't see this ad.

Send him this:

Thanks! Right, this is what I found as well.
But this brochure has the information only about the content of the letter and letter writing process.

My question was, if there is any guideline for the structure and formatting on the word processor application itself for actual writing.

Or is this something the writers are automatically provided with once they register and start using "AMCAS letter writer application"?
If that's the case, how on earth are they supposed to know the formatting of the letter they write if they are asked to use services like "interfolio"?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks! Right, this is what I found as well.
But this brochure has the information only about the content of the letter and letter writing process.

My question was, if there is any guideline for the structure and formatting on the word processor application itself for actual writing.

Or is this something the writers are automatically provided with once they register and start using "AMCAS letter writer application"?
If that's the case, how on earth are they supposed to know the formatting of the letter they write if they are asked to use services like "interfolio"?
Most schools require that it has professional header and hand signed

the usual format for a professional letter is fine. One inch margins, letterhead, etc. As best as I recall, the letter can be printed, signed, scanned and uploaded as a pdf into the AMCAS or Interfolio website.

Here's the formula that most professional people follow in writing a LOR:

Dear Admissions Committee (or To Whom It May Concern: )

First paragraph: I am writing in very strong support of the application of [first name last name, AMCAS number] to medical school. I have known [first name] for __ years. The first paragraph goes on to describe how you know each other and the evolution of the relationship (e.g. the pastor met you when you joined the congregation 4 years ago and got to know you through your engagement as an assistant at the Sunday School and a volunteer at the annual Ice Cream Social).

Second paragraph: Skills you have demonstrated (see AMCAS brochure for the information) with examples of activities you've engaged in that demonstrated these skills. Ideally, these are things the writer has witnessed, not a regurgitation of the experience section of your application.

Third: Softer skills, demeanor, personality. Again with examples of how you have demonstrated these attributes. (e.g. a little story of how you reacted with a cool head when you were the only adult with 40 children back stage at the Christmas pageant when the fire alarm went off)

Fourth paragraph: Something about how you compare to others the writer has known who went on to medical school (or professional school in general). Sometimes the writer will classify the applicant as being in the top X% of a cohort or one of the best in my x years as a [pastor, instructor, clinician] at [name of the place(s) where one has worked]. Some will say something to the effect that they hope someday that you will be the doctor for their family or that they had hoped that you would enter their profession (laboratory, etc) but that you have clearly demonstrated your keen interest and aptitude for a career in medicine and they are confident of your success in the field or how fortunate patients will be to have you as their physician.

Sometimes a letter writer will offer a telephone number and an offer to answer any further questions if needed.

Closing (Sincerely, or whatever the writer generally uses)
Signature
Printed name and title.

Reactions: 1 user