Hello! New to SDF- Pharm D. to O.D. Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TrannosaurusRx

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone, this is my first post.
(So feel free to tell me if I am doing anything wrong!)

Quick Summary of myself:
I recently (within the last year) switched my focus from applying to Pharmacy Schools to Optometry Schools. I was a pre-pharm student at UOP for undegrad. I am currently taking some repeat classes (at a different school) b/c I didn't do too hot in some of my classes my first two years of college. This summer and next semester I plan to take post-bach classes. It's been in my head the previous 4 years that I was working towards Pharmacy, so all my volunteer work/shadowing/licenses have been geared towards that. However, since I've made the switch, I was lucky enough to attain a job at a local (very successful and busy) O.D. practice, so I am familiarizing myself/learning about the field at very fast speeds. Before that I almost had no clue what the field was like, just that I was very interested in it. (A lot of my friends are Pharm.Ds, and after being exposed to it for a while, I grew a little bored/weary of the field.)
Don't have the best of grades, but not horrible. Very determined. Good writer/interviewee.
Dream School: SCCO or Western (but will go to almost any)
Applying this summer.

Anyhow, I guess I will start with the following questions:

1) Is/Was anyone here on the same boat as me?

2) Is there somewhere on this forum where I can find sample essay topics from previous years' Optomcast? (I'm not familiar with a forum format...first time!)

3) Will schools look down upon me if I apply for the Pharmacy school at the same time (but only like 2-3) as Optometry school, as a "back-up"?
-Is it bad to have back-up in a completely different field?

4) Any helpful tips you can give someone like me? Anything constructive advice will be appreciated! :)

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Sounds like you're still not sure what you want to do. I'd say take more time to seriously shadow before you apply to either pharm or opt school. You're literally investing at least upwards of 100k if not 200k in schooling. I would advise being sure of your decision before you even apply.
I think it would also help if you posted your current overall GPA at least so we get an idea. But that said, you should try to pull up your cum GPA to around a 3.0 for opt school

The fact that you still seem unsure will have a negative influence. If you apply to pharm schools as well, that's just added reason for the interviewers to be negative about it. As far as grades, you need above a 3.0, but that's in the lower end for both optometry and professional schools in general other than Caribbean schools.

Still, don't discount yourself before you apply. I would, however, take some time to think. If you want to be an optometrist, then take the OAT and apply. If you are unsure, then take more time to decide. Try other types of practices and see the whole field. It's a big investment, so you want to be sure.

Members don't see this ad :)
Optics > Organic chemistry? If yes, apply OD. Also, cali sucks for optometry and maybe a bit less for pharmacy. Just letting you know ahead of time.

I do have above a 3.0. By "not great"..I didn't mean 2.5 or something, sorry!

The fact that you still seem unsure will have a negative influence. If you apply to pharm schools as well, that's just added reason for the interviewers to be negative about it. As far as grades, you need above a 3.0, but that's in the lower end for both optometry and professional schools in general other than Caribbean schools.

Still, don't discount yourself before you apply. I would, however, take some time to think. If you want to be an optometrist, then take the OAT and apply. If you are unsure, then take more time to decide. Try other types of practices and see the whole field. It's a big investment, so you want to be sure.

My current GPA is above 3.0. I just don't know exactly what it is yet b/c I have not plugged everything into OptomCAS yet.

Sounds like you're still not sure what you want to do. I'd say take more time to seriously shadow before you apply to either pharm or opt school. You're literally investing at least upwards of 100k if not 200k in schooling. I would advise being sure of your decision before you even apply.
I think it would also help if you posted your current overall GPA at least so we get an idea. But that said, you should try to pull up your cum GPA to around a 3.0 for opt school

I think I've sorta been misunderstood a little. Sorry :/

I know for a fact that I want to do Optometry, but what I was just asking about is that I want to apply to 2-3 pharm schools as well, just in case I don't get into ANY Optometry schools for whatever reason. So that I at least have some choice when the time comes (apply again next year, or just do Pharmacy like I planned right out of H.S.).

My cumulative is above 3.0, and I have a lot of extracurricular/volunteer work. I will be studying for OATs this May and taking it later in the summer.

This is not a student confused about what "I want to do when I grow up" type deal. I've thought about it and have decided. Just needed some advice on how to go about it!

Thanks.