Hello from the other side

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rikudo

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A bit off topic but I felt compelled to post. Five years ago I decided to leave a solid but draining career in the Army for medical school. People told me it was "too risky", "a longshot", "you're too old", "why not go into nursing". No one in my family had completed college let alone worked in the medical field. I went back to community college, finished pre-reqs, somehow got into med school. While in I struggled with studying, imposter syndrome, ageism, self-confidence, balancing and family/kids. I stressed endlessly about my performance and lack of better scores/evaluations while surrounded by younger, smarter, more enthusiastic classmates.

Well yesterday was match day and I landed my #1 choice in my top speciality. I graduate with zero debt thanks to Voc Rehab. My wife can finally stop working overtime and spend more time with the kids. I'm ready to start the career I only could dream while growing up. I cannot describe the relief I feel. It's absolutely worth it folks.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 8 users
A bit off topic but I felt compelled to post. Five years ago I decided to leave a solid but draining career in the Army for medical school. People told me it was "too risky", "a longshot", "you're too old", "why not go into nursing". No one in my family had completed college let alone worked in the medical field. I went back to community college, finished pre-reqs, somehow got into med school. While in I struggled with studying, imposter syndrome, ageism, self-confidence, balancing and family/kids. I stressed endlessly about my performance and lack of better scores/evaluations while surrounded by younger, smarter, more enthusiastic classmates.

Well yesterday was match day and I landed my #1 choice in my top speciality. I graduate with zero debt thanks to Voc Rehab. My wife can finally stop working overtime and spend more time with the kids. I'm ready to start the career I only could dream while growing up. I cannot describe the relief I feel. It's absolutely worth it folks.

Congrats and thanks for the reflection post with Voc-Rehab!! This also gives me reassurance that it can be done as a nontrad taking on the rigors of school with a family (let alone med school)

Enjoy your success!

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats! I'm curious to know what specialty that you landed your number 1?!

Going into Psych, I felt my time in service was especially helpful in helping me stand out and get interviews, especially at VA affiliated programs. Other vets in my class did well too (NSG, EM, ENT).

Reactions: 1 user