Headphones for lap swimming.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RustedFox

The mouse police never sleeps.
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got into lap swimming.
I see "waterproof headphones" advertised, but am super skeptical that they actually work.

Anyone have any experience?

Members don't see this ad.

I recently got into lap swimming.
I see "waterproof headphones" advertised, but am super skeptical that they actually work.

Anyone have any experience?

Not exactly for that purpose, but used to use some when in the shower (enacfire e60 I think). Worked well and didn’t bug the wife with my music at 0300 in the shower and never had to take them out from the car until bed. Definitely a first world type thing. Not sure how they would have stood up to lap swimming, but they were like $50 or $60 so not a huge loss if they went out. I got AirPods which are NOT water resistant at all, use those instead for the noise canceling and then also sound boosting ability. So I can hear her talking with podcasts or music on and can pause it to discuss with her or whatever. Hope someone else has direct experience to help you out.

There’s two types of headphones you can use in the water- standard in ear bud type and bone conduction. I have not tried the bone conduction yet, but will next time I’m in the market. Otherwise, you will need a waterproof buds/mp3 player combo. Some come integrated. I’m not sure that any are great, but I’ve tried swimbuds and they are acceptable.

Members don't see this ad :)
Great addition to your life @RustedFox
Swimming laps is great for both physical and mental health. I don't have personal experience with underwater earbuds, but I see a lot of people using them when I swim, so they presumably aren't terrible.

Please post back with your experience...I might pick up a pair if you like 'em

I picked up a pair of headphones from a startup call zygo (like the zygomatic bone) last year that actually allow you to stream from your phone. Basically the phone connects via bluetooth to an FM transmitter that then transmits to the headphones. When I got them they were having terrible supply chain issues so I think I ordered them in July and they didn't ship till like October or maybe November? (I think they moved to a waiting list system now because they had a lot of angry customers about the constant delays)

The headphones themselves are a little finicky to charge (startup company, could still use a few redesigns) but they do work as advertised. They are bone conduction which is nice though I still need to use earplugs to hear it clearly while swimming. I had previously had a bone conduction MP3 player but never used it because it was annoying to try to load music on it so the ability to stream from the phone is nice.

One word of caution about the headphones is that they are a little tight if you have a giant noggin (like me). Fortunately my biparietal diameter is probably not quite in proportion with my head circumference so I can use the standard size but they aren't quite perfect from a fit standpoint. They are supposed to making a large size but those weren't available yet last year.

Reactions: 1 user
There’s two types of headphones you can use in the water- standard in ear bud type and bone conduction. I have not tried the bone conduction yet, but will next time I’m in the market. Otherwise, you will need a waterproof buds/mp3 player combo. Some come integrated. I’m not sure that any are great, but I’ve tried swimbuds and they are acceptable.
Although I don't swim laps, I run with a pair of bone conduction (non-ear canal obstructing) headphones by brand Shokz, and they do have a waterproof swimming version. I use these for safety so I can still hear cars, dogs, or people yelling at me, whatever. The sound is 80% what it should be, but the best I've come across if you actually want to be aware of your surroundings, unlike noise canceling headphones. I've tried some lower tiered bone conduction headphones and they were so bad, they weren't worth the savings.