HCA/FPS conditions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ombudspathologerson

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Looking for the inside scoop on working for HCA/FPS (career, not residency). I know it's probably not ideal, but wondering what the specific cons are (i.e. less pay, long hours, etc). They offer some of the only opportunities in places where I might be looking to settle, so trying to decide if it's worth it.

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Would recommend you stop by in person to check it out. Then when you arrive, turn 180 degrees, and run in that direction as fast as you can for several hours days weeks.

Reactions: 5 users
Looking for the inside scoop on working for HCA/FPS (career, not residency). I know it's probably not ideal, but wondering what the specific cons are (i.e. less pay, long hours, etc). They offer some of the only opportunities in places where I might be looking to settle, so trying to decide if it's worth it.

Thanks in advance!
HCA has growing control of hospitals in Florida, so I am assuming you are looking to settle there. They have some solo pathologist opportunities right now but you have to run in between hospitals. Doesnt seem appealing but if you have no choice, then you have no choice. I sure wouldnt suggest a solo pathologist job for a new grad for sure.

They have a residency program in Florida. Rick Scott, the senator there, I believe has or had a connection/interest with HCA.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
This is a difficult question to answer without knowing any regional/geographic specifics. Even then, you'll need to be very specific with the particular hospital system. HCA/FPS is a mixed bag. In Texas, at least, I can maybe name one hospital with a busy oncology service (Medical City Dallas) that may have some semblance of a solid functioning group, but I honestly can't back those words up entirely. I've never worked for HCA/FPS. My dealings with HCA are limited in scope to only being an independent contractor. If you would like to know more, please PM me. The short story version is stay away if you value your career.

This is a difficult question to answer without knowing any regional/geographic specifics. Even then, you'll need to be very specific with the particular hospital system. HCA/FPS is a mixed bag. In Texas, at least, I can maybe name one hospital with a busy oncology service (Medical City Dallas) that may have some semblance of a solid functioning group, but I honestly can't back those words up entirely. I've never worked for HCA/FPS. My dealings with HCA are limited in scope to only being an independent contractor. If you would like to know more, please PM me. The short story version is stay away if you value your career.
See this is the thing with Pathology. People say stay away from HCA if you value your career but a majority of the job opportunities at least in Florida on pathoutlines (take a look for yourself) are HCA jobs. So grads in pathology really have no choice unless they got a connection with a solid group which isnt always the case. Add on the fact that solid groups can be picky and choosy with who they pick (I dont blame them) and you are in a tough position for jobs (you got to take what you can get) if you dont know people.

Reactions: 2 users
See this is the thing with Pathology. People say stay away from HCA if you value your career but a majority of the job opportunities at least in Florida on pathoutlines (take a look for yourself) are HCA jobs. So grads in pathology really have no choice unless they got a connection with a solid group which isnt always the case. Add on the fact that solid groups can be picky and choosy with who they pick (I dont blame them) and you are in a tough position for jobs (you got to take what you can get) if you dont know people.
I 100% agree. You're stuck between a rock and a hard place if you're not in the know. There are plenty of jobs out there, but few advertised. HCA/FPS is actually in dire need of help pretty much across the country. Part of what makes the job so difficult is the fact that they are understaffed and ask their employees to perform miracles (e.g. cover Hospital B for frozen section 3 hours away but come back to Hospital A and make sure you sign out all of your cases). These things are not exactly unique to HCA and can appear in other practices with equal frequency.

Reactions: 1 users
Would recommend you stop by in person to check it out. Then when you arrive, turn 180 degrees, and run in that direction as fast as you can for several hours days weeks.
Is there anything specific that would make one want to avoid these jobs? I'm just trying to look towards the future and see what makes a good pathology job vs a bad one.

Thanks!

Is there anything specific that would make one want to avoid these jobs? I'm just trying to look towards the future and see what makes a good pathology job vs a bad one.

Thanks!
Are you a resident? Good pathology job for a new grad: Good and pleasant colleagues with subspecialty fellowships that you can learn from, experienced members in the group that you can learn from, strong hospital contracts, strong and stable group overall (your group wont lose a contract and you will be out of a job), entrepreneural type groups that are always looking for business. These are a few things you should look for. I would not join a outpatient biopsy practice straight out of fellowship (you will lose some skills and become slowly unemployable. Go to a relatively busy hospital based group to consolidate the skills you acquired in training.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I 100% agree. You're stuck between a rock and a hard place if you're not in the know. There are plenty of jobs out there, but few advertised. HCA/FPS is actually in dire need of help pretty much across the country. Part of what makes the job so difficult is the fact that they are understaffed and ask their employees to perform miracles (e.g. cover Hospital B for frozen section 3 hours away but come back to Hospital A and make sure you sign out all of your cases). These things are not exactly unique to HCA and can appear in other practices with equal frequency.
Jobs near me are mostly word of mouth. Not even sure if there are that many due to the training programs near me churning out grads every year. I’ve contacted president/owners of some groups and they have no openings.

The few jobs that are advertised get multiple applicants Im sure, so it makes looking for a job much harder. I may have to move away from family if I don’t find anything, which sucks.

Reactions: 1 users
Just replace the sewing machines with microscopes.

1683908420745.png

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Eff microscopes. Digital pathology with an ecommerce web-portal.

- Pathology groups and create a Fantasy Pathology League where you hold a Friday night draft and pick your specialized team of pathologists who are ready and able to read your AP for you. A match.com-like API will enable a path group to sort through hundreds of vetted applicants that are rated on TAT, report content/structure, etc. Applicant ratings even come with a social score based on the number of times the phrases like, "It has been a pleasure to review this interesting and challenging case..." or "Thank you for this interesting consult..." have been used.

- NFT Pathology cards will be "a thing."
7lki4a.jpg

- Polyamory is encouraged, too. Why should one pathologist just work for one group? You know what I would do for a million dollars? Yep. Two groups.

- This enterprise can be as specific as you want it to be. Want to find a heme-path who wants to look at the lymphoid aggregate you're not so sure about? You don't have time to sign out your stack of medical liver cases? No problem. We have you covered.

Eff microscopes. Digital pathology with an ecommerce web-portal.

- Pathology groups and create a Fantasy Pathology League where you hold a Friday night draft and pick your specialized team of pathologists who are ready and able to read your AP for you. A match.com-like API will enable a path group to sort through hundreds of vetted applicants that are rated on TAT, report content/structure, etc. Applicant ratings even come with a social score based on the number of times the phrases like, "It has been a pleasure to review this interesting and challenging case..." or "Thank you for this interesting consult..." have been used.

- NFT Pathology cards will be "a thing."

- Polyamory is encouraged, too. Why should one pathologist just work for one group? You know what I would do for a million dollars? Yep. Two groups.

- This enterprise can be as specific as you want it to be. Want to find a heme-path who wants to look at the lymphoid aggregate you're not so sure about? You don't have time to sign out your stack of medical liver cases? No problem. We have you covered.
Even if this did happen, pathologists will eventually get old, retire, and pull their golden parachute. Followed by VC or health care conglomerates finding a way to wrap their tentacles around this, commoditize it, and cut pathologists pay...

Even if this did happen, pathologists will eventually get old, retire, and pull their golden parachute. Followed by VC or health care conglomerates finding a way to wrap their tentacles around this, commoditize it, and cut pathologists pay...
I wasn't suggesting we do this. It seems like VC is more or less marching toward this path. Maybe we will get paid in DOGE or perhaps we can invent our own useless block chain.

Working for HCA is like being in a pie eating contest where the winner gets to eat more pie.
(credit to Charlie Munger)
I‘ve never heard or experienced anything good about HCA, and I go back a long way in Florida.