Have u heard about...

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ether

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wondering if u guys would like to start talking about how u felt about some of the programs u interviewed at or heard about from ur scources, thought it would help everyone out!!

Was wondering about if anyone had any info (good or bad) about: MGH, Hopkins, UCSF, Brighams, U Penn, Mayo, Northwestern, Wash U., etc...

Thanks guys.

(p.s. I haven't started interviewing yet, but will throw my impressions as I do as well)

Members don't see this ad.

i visited northwestern a month ago. loved the place. the residents worked hard, but seemed to have no major complaints. of course, chicago's lifestyle is great. expensive though. the facilities are beautiful. looks more like a hotel than a hospital. if i remember correctly, a typical day started at 615 and ended between 5-6. you pretty much will stay until 5pm, i think. the patient population is generally the insured, private patients. you won't see much indigent. so the pathology might be a bit different. OB seems really strong. i believe they said that about 9000 deliveries per year. i actually thought that might have been on the low side, especially since UT Southwestern claims to have delivered 16000 babies per year. Regional is heavily touted. of course, it's nowhere close to Virginia mason, but enough to get great training in regional.

will visit wash u in a week. hope i like it.

Northwestern OB is very strong. About 9-10K cases per year, which is the highest of any hospital in Illinios. In any case, there are so many OB cases, that other programs send their residents to be trained here for OB. You WILL learn OB anesthesia. Remember, the OB is done in a speciality Women's hospital, prentice hospital, which does many high risk cases.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello all. I can certainly post some of my impressions/opinions. Of course opinions are like a#@holes, everyone has one..but I hope these are helpful:

BU: Very good attendings. They are an "academic private practice," and from what I know, one of the biggest. I guess what that means is that if you did your residency there, you would be set for a great job in New England. The physical layout, is fine, not the best and not the worst I have seen. Since BU is a major trauma center in Boston and has 2 hospitals, one which serves the poor and one that does more teritary care, then the patient population is very diverse. (Anyone ever seen a case of Amyloid...well, you will at BU) The residents are very nice and very approachable,although there are quite a few FMG's (whether that is good or bad is for you to decide) The chairman was very dynamic. If you want to learn how to do TEE as a resident you can do it here and you can stay on and do a fellowship in less time. Overall a very good place but not the big Harvard rep.

BI: Smaller program, 13-17 residents. My interview day, there were only a few of us so it was very easy to talk to residents and faculty. I think that every resident I talked to was incredibly happy, particularly about the lifestyle they had while at this program. The financial woes of the hospital that were so prevelant 5 years ago, seems to be a thing of the past and the hospital is hiring all sorts of new faculty, especially in surgery, which will make anesthesia more interesting. Physical layout was very good, especially on the West Campus (I think this is the newer one) The new ER is very cool (although this is not particularly relevant.) Peds is done at Childrens. (The best, or at least top 3) Flexible third year schedule. Everyone was great. Maybe this is the "third best Harvard program," but is there really such a thing? Having "Preparation H" on your resume can be a powerful thing and I think the residents have gone on to do whatever they want. Bad news is they got 650 apps and are interviewing 110-130 for 13-17 spots....you do the math.

MGH: Everyone says they just leave you without supervision, but this place goes crazy when it hears that. Even the program director addresses it when he speaks to you. The residents are an interesting mix, but in the time I was there everyone was very nice, very laid back and incredibly helpful. The physical layout is on par with the BI (Both very nice and both easily accessible by public transport,) but it has some area which are nicer. (Particularly the etherdome and the top floors of the hospital which are reserved for the super-elite) I don't think you can argue that this is one of the top programs in the country and that once you graduate you are positioned to do anything you want anywhere you want. Peds is at Childrens, you do one month of OB at MGH and another at the Brigham so you get a different view. Research can be done, but is not forced on you and in fact may be discouraged since there so much to learn as a resident. The surgical Critical care unit is run by Anesthesia and has been for many many years, so there is no one stepping on your toes and you do a required 3 months during your residency (vs 2 in may onther places.) Big program, 25 or so. Overall a great place, maybe you are a bit more independent but not to the point you are putting people in jeopardy..and isin't it better to be independent.

Penn: Much like BI and MGH...but in Philly. And let me tell you, you will either love or hate philly. Their interview day is fantastic with a tour of the city included. The residents are all very cool people from all over the country. Penn is the major referal center for that area of the country and so the pathology is excellent. CHOP is fantastic and is also a top 1/2/3 childrems hospital and that is where you do your peds. The program is somewhat bigger but not overwhelming and the opportunities are great. Lots of research is available and they tell you about it on interview day. They are changing the chairman (not for a bad reason but because he went on to take over the entire penn healthcare system as Chief Medical Officer) but this could add a bit of instability although no one seemed too worried. Physicaly the hospital is ok, as is the location, but the surroundings seem to be getting better. The whole Penn campus is all together and that is convenient and cool. A top 10 program, maybe top 5 but certainly excellent... just stuck in Philly.

UCLA: Well, its in CA so I'm slightly biased, but it is West LA, which is super nice and the weather was 75 degrees in December so there really isin't anyone who could complain about that. The program is bigger, 25 or so and there is a lot to do. The residents said they worked hard, but it is residency after all. UCLA does more liver transplants than anyone else in the country and more pediatric cardiac surgery as well, so that was something interesting. They have Childrens Hospital LA, the Jules Stine Eye Institute and they are a major referral center for all of Southern CA, for every specialty. They are also building a brand new hospital with help from the 100 million that David Geffen donated and it is going to be a pretty fantastic place. The current hospital is very nice but the new one will be incredible. I think it might be weak in Critical care but they are adding additional rotations which everyone seems to be very happy with. 75% of residents stay in Southern CA to practice...so if you want to do Anesthesia in Southern CA (or anywhere is CA for that matter) there is no better place. Haven't seen Stanford yet but beat the pants off UCSF and UCSD in my mind.

Northwestern: Nothing to add from the above posts..I felt the same way.

Gotta go for now hope this helps some others. I still have Stanford, the Brigham, UT Southwest and USC to visit but will try to throw those in if I can. Good luck to all....any specific questions please feel free to post and I'll try to answer.

Man, I did not even apply to any of those but two -- I still havenot heard from NW, but plan to decline the interview anyhow & I was rejected at Wash U.

Sorry I cannot be of any assistance! Best of luck to you!

Originally posted by Apollyon
...and most of them stink!

Maybe, but you gotta have'em or you end up full of crap.:rolleyes:

By the way, has anyone been to USC. How was their program? Are they still on probation..or were they ever? I have heard different things? Thanks.

Hey Ca Dreamin'

just wondering if you had any info about Harbor-UCLA. does the UCLA name carry to a county facility? how about funding? i wonder if there is any risk of a county facility shutting down. i know it's a small program, but i was wondering if it is a quality program. any thoughts?

Dear Gas-X

Give me a day or so. I think I interview there on Monday or Tuesday, but once I go I'll post whatever I find out. As for what I know/have heard already:

I had heard there was some financial trouble but to what extent I am unsure. I think I heard that the county intervened and that prevented the hospitals closure and gave it some stability.

It does have a certain amount of crossover with UCLA, faculty etc, but I don't think the program is as well respected as the UCLA medical center residency. I have also heard it is more high pressure to get people in and out, like you would have to do in a real-world practice. Thus, less teaching than you would see at a truly academic program like UCLA medical center. I think there are a couple of reviews on Scutwork.com, try that as well.

I'll post more when I find out more. Good luck.

Ca. Dreamin'

Hey Guys,

I heard and read a lot of stuff about some of the California programs. One program that I don't know much about is the Davis program. Do you guys know much about it? Any information would be much appreciated. Thanks.

USC: I was very pleasantly surprised with the program. Heard it was in shambles a few years back. Their chair, Dr. Lumb, is by far the most down to earth, respectable chair I've met so far. Lots of positive changes were happening at that program. He is very upfront with the weaknesses in the program and has clear cut plans on changing those weaknesses. Great clinical experience. That being said, I still think the program has some ways to go... something like 68% board passing rate last year. And although the tour guides seem extremely happy with the program, I've heard from other students who did rotations there that most of the residents are in fact unhappy. Don't know what to make of it, considering that their call schedule is extremely light.

UCLA: very very very much like Stanford, except in LA. Maybe not as big a name as Stanford, but that is debatable. A fantastic program, but you work hard.

Harbor-UCLA: Got a bad vibe. Was told that they were not participating in the match by the chair--something I wish they had told me beforehand. And then they send an email months later that they are participating in the match.

Gax-X and others:

I finished my interview at Harbor and it wasn't a very good experience. (And I really try to be a positive person) We really only got to talk to one or two residents. The chief resident (who did most of the interview day) talked alot about the call schedule (which is, admittedly, very cush) and not much else. In terms of call schedule, you never take call on the weekends and you NEVER work on the weekends. Thats right....no weekend work, it is covered by PA or NP's or someone else, but not the residents. He talked about how the program is 4 people, but how he wasn't sure how many would be offered in the match. Maybe 1, maybe 4...he didn't know and if he did the was being pretty coy about the whole thing. He took us on a tour of the hospital, which was ok. Very similar to county USC, just in a better area. It is a county facility so you get metal detectors at the doors and security guards, but overall it was fairly safe and clean. We didn't get to see the OR's (don't know/remember why) so I don't know what type of equipment was in there but I was told it was all relatively new stuff. Multiple ICU's but none of them, are run by Anesthesia, so I'm not sure how that will impact things. As for interviews, I only had 1. I asked the chief resident, who was sitting there (talking to us about the program etc) if I should have another, since everyone else had two and he said "two would be better but one is probably fine." He then told us we could all go or we could stay for a conference. I'm not sure if anyone met with the Chairman, he was there and stopped by to talk with us, (Nice man. Very pleasant. We were told goes with you when you interview for jobs after residency to help you out.) but I seem to remember asking the chief resident if the chairman interviewed everyone and he said something like, "if they really like you here he might interview you." Needless to say, he didn't interview me. Don't know, maybe it was my crackpipe, or maybe it was the fact that I showed up in shorts and a Hawiian shirt (kidding), but they really didn't make me feel like they wanted to have me there. Hell, they really weren't even polite enough to figure out my interview day. In fairness, the other resident I met was very cool, talked a little about the program, and we shot the breeze about surfing and the break down at Huntington Pier, but he left after a few minutes. Overall, I had a pretty bad experience, but I don't think that should dissuade you from interviewing etc, go see for yourself, maybe it was just my bad luck.

One other thing, no one said anything about financial trouble and I totally forgot to ask, so I can't be any help there, anyone else out there know anything?

Gas X or others, if you have specific questions, please feel free to ask.

Ca. Dreamin'

Hey Ca Dreamin',

If you're really serious about surfing/anesthesia, UCSD is the place to be. UCI, Stanford, and UCSF are also near or relatively near good surf. UCLA, USC, and Harbor are not, unless you like to surf junky crowded LA beachbreak. It's too bad the Univ of Hawaii doesn't has an anesthesia program. I went to college in San Diego and med school in Hawaii so I had my fair share of waves during both. Last year, I figured I wanted to go to the best possible program and still surf regularly. Now I'm buying a 4/3mm with hood for my upcoming 3-4 years of UCSF NorCal time. I was just up in SF in late December and Ocean beach was 65-70F air temps, offshore, and big double overhead barrels! And only about 10 guys out over the whole beach. Santa Cruz also gets awesome surf as well. Much more consistent and bigger than SoCal. BTW--UCSD, UCI, Stanford, and UCSF all have a core group of residents that surf. That was another thing that attracted me to those programs. Plus it didn't hurt that three of those programs are among the best in the country.

Well fellow posters, now I guess I know why I got the cold shoulder at harbor UCLA. This is the exact e-mail everyone who applied there got today:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
"To Whom It May Concern,

For those who had applied for the 2003 position at Harbor-UCLA,
Department of Anesthesiology I want to let you know it has been filled."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pretty classy, huh? Glad I went there to spend the time. Just wanted to let everyone know. I guess they must have filled out of the match, which they kept alluding to while I was there. Anyway, for what its worth, this is the scoop.

Ca. Dreamin'

PS: Offshore, I"m partial to a South OC break..like Tressels, or uppers and lowers, but thanks for the tips. I'm not going to interview down in San Diego so regular trips down to the beach in SD are probably out until after residency.

Ca. Dreamin or anyone else,

Do you guys know much about the UC at Davis program? I'm curious how it compares to the other California schools. It sounds like Sacremento isn't close to any beaches but I wonder if it still is a strong program.

Thanks.

Do

UC Davis seemed like a very nice place last year. The chairman is a resident advocate and is brilliant and very approachable. I don't think they take call per se, but instead work 12 hr night shifts instead. The program is heavily dependent on CRNAs to cover the work. I think they have adequate clinical exposure, lots of major blunt trauma from MVAs in the surrounding area. I think they serve a rather large area as the only Level 1 trauma center. I was told transplant is weak though. Another downside is that pain management is co-run by rehab medicine and anethesiology, so if your interested in pain that could be a potential negative. Nice pain clinic facility though. Overall, the residents seemed happy. Some of them said every year overworked residents from Stanford and UCSF try to switch to Davis for the better lifestyle but I don't know if that's true or not.

Dear DOMD;

Sorry. I do not know very much about UC Davis, just the same things that you have heard over the posts and on scutwork. I haven't even heard from them about an interview..which means NO. Good luck.

PS: If anyone else has any info about ANY school this would be a good thread to post it on...lots of people have viewed it but not too many responses.

I just thought I'd throw in my feelings from my time at the Brigham.

It is also an outstanding Boston program, stronger than programs in some area and weaker in others. The hospital is in excellent condition and on par with all of the other Harvard hospitals (MGH, BI). The woman who serves as the program coordinator, Eileen, is probably the nicest woman on the planet. She is fantastic and really goes out of her way to help the interviewees both on the interview day and after. The program is similar to other great programs in the country in that you spend most of 1st year at the Brigham (or home hospital) in the general OR, do specialty stuff second year and spend some time away, and then come back for third year. OB and thoracic are really strong areas. Critical care is probably weaker than the General and about the same as the BI. I think everywhere in Boston is about the same with regards to regional as it is very attending and surgeon dependant, but you get plenty of experice with it at the Brigham. Everyone does 3 months of peds at childrens. Their call schedule is elaborate with a regular call, a late call and a late-late call, there is no point in explaining all of the intricacies, it is essentially the same as call everywhere with some minor tweaks. They just got a new chairman, Dr Vacanti, who is not really new to being a chairman since he was the chair at U Mass for 8 years. Now he's at the Brigham and seems to be a real resident advocate. Right away he took a tour of the resident call rooms and then proceeded to have them renovated. The OR's are in the basement, but I don't think that it really matters. They are nice and the new vascular and amb. surgery "pods" are huge and fantastic. The people and the overall atmosphere are the real selling point. I know it sounds a little hokey, but its true. Everyone is very happy and everyone is treated with a high level of respect. The atmosphere is very colleagial. It is a place where you feel like you are learning as well as working. Certainly you can do whatever you want when you are done. Overall a great place with fantastic residents, a commitment to learning and a strong academic reputation. As an applicant it will be competative though since they had 50 of their 100 or so candidates with AOA.

By the way, anyone with ifo on UCLA or Stanford? Just want to see what people think. Thanks.

Ca. Dreamin',

Thanks for the reply regarding Mass General.

About Stanford...I really liked it very much. I thought that both the residents and attendings were extremely nice and laid back. Actually, the attendings were probably the most laid back that I ran into. I also thought that the program chair and program director seemed very resident-friendly. All the residents I talked to were happy with no significant complaints. They worked hard, but all seemed to enjoy the work, and didn't complain that they were over-worked. To me, compared with UCSF, Stanford seemed friendlier and more relaxed.

I thought that the facilities were fantastic, especially the VA. The simulator also was impressive. I think that their Peds experience is probably the best that I saw. Cardiac is great with a dedicated TEE rotation. Didactics seemed strong, but not overwhelming. They also have some international opportunities with the Interplast program which I thought was pretty cool. I think that overall it is a well balanced program.

For me, the two main drawbacks for the program are Palo Alto and the lack of trauma experience. Palo Alto was beautiful and seemed like a pretty cool town, but small enough that it could feel cramped after three or four years. It didn't sound to me like the residents go to the big city very often. Also, I think it's expensive for what you get although Stanford pays relatively well. The lack of trauma experience was downplayed by the residents and attendings there, and maybe a huge trauma volume isn't necessary for training, but I still consider it a relative weakness.

Overall, I think that it is a fantastic place to train with great academics and nice people in a decent location. Also, the Stanford reputation offers you every opportunity when finished with residency.

Good Luck!