Has anyone ever move job from one state to another?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

rougemarie

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I believe I've posted similar if not the same question before, so please kindly forward me to a related topic, if this has been discussed at length.

However, I would like to know the ease of moving from one state to another after completing the Pharm.D. because it seems to me that in order to find an employment to that particular state, you have to be licensed there. So do you take the state test/obtain the license before you start finding the job or the other way around? Also, how easy is it to find employment from one state to the other?

I'm afraid I may have to complete my pharmacy education in a different state where my husband is currently working, thus I need to know whether it worth for me to wait another year to apply to the school in his state (I applied this year and got turned down), or start my education right now in my current place. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

rougemarie said:
However, I would like to know the ease of moving from one state to another after completing the Pharm.D. because it seems to me that in order to find an employment to that particular state, you have to be licensed there. So do you take the state test/obtain the license before you start finding the job or the other way around?

Start searching for employment any time...but don't move until you pass the licensing requirements.

rougemarie said:
I believe I've posted similar if not the same question before, so please kindly forward me to a related topic, if this has been discussed at length.

However, I would like to know the ease of moving from one state to another after completing the Pharm.D. because it seems to me that in order to find an employment to that particular state, you have to be licensed there. So do you take the state test/obtain the license before you start finding the job or the other way around? Also, how easy is it to find employment from one state to the other?

I'm afraid I may have to complete my pharmacy education in a different state where my husband is currently working, thus I need to know whether it worth for me to wait another year to apply to the school in his state (I applied this year and got turned down), or start my education right now in my current place. Any advice is greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.

I'm not sure I'm clear on exactly what you're requesting. If you are currently enrolled in pharmacy school, you need to complete your education or obtain a transfer to another pharmacy school. If you haven't enrolled yet, well....that is a decision you must make if you want to stay in the same state to obtain your schooling.

If you've completed your Pharm.D, you can apply for licensure in most states. Sometimes you have to take a specialized jurisprudence exam...investigate the states laws you're interested in. You can't apply to be licensed in any state until you have completed your degree.

Hope this helps.

people move all the time...

its really not a big deal as long as you live in a state that allows you to recriprocate (sp?)
then you don't retake the NAPLEX you just take that state's law test

Members don't see this ad :)
You can still work at a place without a license. I know a pharmacist that worked at North Carolina for awhile eventhough she could not pass the state test to get her license (she tried 3 times) so she finally moved to South Carolina because she passed that state's test. Plus her reason for moving is that South Carolina have more poor people so they're easier to deal with because they're more humble and less fussy; and the test is easier there :laugh: