Has anyone done a more "theoretical" research project/senior thesis?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PB&Jam

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently a senior in my college's honors program, and need to complete a thesis to graduate with honors. Until recently, I thought that I would be performing the usual "traditional" research project. In fact, I got a portion of it completed last semester. However, my PI is suddenly facing health problems which will make it impossible for her to oversee any experiments, as she won't be in the lab. She has suggested, as an alternative, a hybrid between a results-based thesis (using the work I did last semester, which was basically developing and cloning a plasmid) and a theoretical thesis, using and analyzing current literature in order to explain what I would have done for my project, had I had the opportunity. I'm not worried about how this will affect my application or interviews–I can always explain the research I already did, and mention the extenuating circumstances that are causing me to not be able to continue with it. However, and I know this sounds petty, but I feel like the "theoretical" thesis I am writing will not be as legitimate as a results based thesis, or that it will be a lesser product than the one I could have produced otherwise. I had also planned, originally, to publish my results (which I know is a complex process) but I don't even know if that is an option with this new type of thesis.

Has anyone done this sort of research and thesis before? Did you think the experience was worthwhile and valuable? I am hoping that I find it interesting once I really get to work on it, but I'm just concerned at the moment that I won't enjoy it or will be in the mindset that it's not good enough.

Members don't see this ad.

I am currently a senior in my college's honors program, and need to complete a thesis to graduate with honors. Until recently, I thought that I would be performing the usual "traditional" research project. In fact, I got a portion of it completed last semester. However, my PI is suddenly facing health problems which will make it impossible for her to oversee any experiments, as she won't be in the lab. She has suggested, as an alternative, a hybrid between a results-based thesis (using the work I did last semester, which was basically developing and cloning a plasmid) and a theoretical thesis, using and analyzing current literature in order to explain what I would have done for my project, had I had the opportunity. I'm not worried about how this will affect my application or interviews–I can always explain the research I already did, and mention the extenuating circumstances that are causing me to not be able to continue with it. However, and I know this sounds petty, but I feel like the "theoretical" thesis I am writing will not be as legitimate as a results based thesis, or that it will be a lesser product than the one I could have produced otherwise. I had also planned, originally, to publish my results (which I know is a complex process) but I don't even know if that is an option with this new type of thesis.

Has anyone done this sort of research and thesis before? Did you think the experience was worthwhile and valuable? I am hoping that I find it interesting once I really get to work on it, but I'm just concerned at the moment that I won't enjoy it or will be in the mindset that it's not good enough.

There are journals that take theoretical biology papers, but I don't think they are looked at favorably. I don't have any knowledge of publishing in them either.

I think you'll be fine at interviews if you're asked to explain your research. A great PI LOR can account for the lack of publications because as you might know, a lot of factors can go into publications. The review process is long and arduous: anything that isn't already in the review process likely won't be accepted until much later into the cycle. I would probably just finish up your thesis just so you "finish up" with your PI/work, even if the situation isn't ideal.

There are journals that take theoretical biology papers, but I don't think they are looked at favorably. I don't have any knowledge of publishing in them either.

I think you'll be fine at interviews if you're asked to explain your research. A great PI LOR can account for the lack of publications because as you might know, a lot of factors can go into publications. The review process is long and arduous: anything that isn't already in the review process likely won't be accepted until much later into the cycle. I would probably just finish up your thesis just so you "finish up" with your PI/work, even if the situation isn't ideal.
I'm currently in the midst of the application cycle, and have in my file a very favorable LOR from my PI, though that was before these health issues came up.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm currently in the midst of the application cycle, and have in my file a very favorable LOR from my PI, though that was before these health issues came up.

Just do whatever your PI tells you with regards to the thesis and don't worry about the application cycle.

OP, you should change "theoretical" to something like library-based thesis or literature-based thesis. Theoretical in science usually implies some sort of computational work that doesn't involve wet lab work. Computational studies are just as legitimate as empirical results and both are publishable. What you're referring to is more like a review or perspective.

OP, you should change "theoretical" to something like library-based thesis or literature-based thesis. Theoretical in science usually implies some sort of computational work that doesn't involve wet lab work. Computational studies are just as legitimate as empirical results and both are publishable. What you're referring to is more like a review or perspective.
That was the word my PI used. I took it to mean "in theory, this is what I would do" and support that with current research to show why it would be a valid project.

That was the word my PI used. I took it to mean "in theory, this is what I would do" and support that with current research to show why it would be a valid project.

Yup, but aldo is right. Generally theoretical means computational. No biggie, he just wanted to point that out. Anyways, I wouldn't worry too much about it. You've already done some wet work for the thesis, finishing it up with some "what I would do next" is completely fine and I don't think will impact you negatively.

Hang on - so your PI actually used the word "theoretical"? Did he/she also say that he/she meant a library thesis specifically? Maybe you are expected to do a computational work...

Do you have to write a thesis? To be honest, this sounds very unscientific, although the circumstances make it understandable. If a thesis is required, perhaps you can get permission to do experiments without oversight? Or do a computational project instead?