Harvard post bacc--starting this week!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amy@vandy

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there!

I'm starting Harvard Extension School's post bacc courses this week--taking chemistry and physics. Is anyone else taking classes here this semester?

Amy

Members don't see this ad.

Hi - I did the program a couple of years ago. Main advice - get to know Dr. Fixsen (assoc. director). He is absolutely great in terms of advising and is just a great and resourceful individual

Members don't see this ad :)
This issue has been brought up previously but how competitive are the classes at Harvard?

If you're referring to competition among the students, I think it depends largely on your own attitude. So far I'm having a great time and am not at all intimidated by the other students. That being said, with such a large class size (I think my chem class started out with approx 240 people) you will certainly find a significant population of "gunners," they're at every school.

I was looking at the extension classes at Harvard, but I was unable to find a formal application. Did you just register and pay and that was it?

Harvard Extension classes are open enrollment. If you want to be part of the post bacc program there is an application you need to send in. It's not online, but send an e-mail to them (the address is somewhere in the information section about the health sciences program) and they'll mail one to you.

Was it difficult for you to get in? Just curious.
Also, did they need GRE scores?

I haven't decided whether or not to apply yet, so I'm just taking one course at the moment to see how it goes. I do have a copy of the application, however, and it doesn't look too difficult. At the info session I went to it sounds like they let most people in and if they really feel like your chances of getting into med school are slim to none and decide to reject you, I believe they refund the application fee.

GREs are not a requirement for admission, but I think if you have taken them or any other standardized test, they do want to know your scores.

Hope this helps.