Harvard affiliated PM and S residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JEWmongous

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Even though residency is far away, I was curious about externship opportunities in the boston area. I understand that there are 3 affiliated harvard teaching hospital residencies. Any ideas or thoughts on how good they are? I was told by a local pod that the outside non-pod rotations and name itself are very strong but the residencies themselves are not too well known in the podiatry world. I heard one of the residencies does not even offer an externship.

I believe stafocker did some rotations there but I may be wrong.

Members don't see this ad.

Even though residency is far away, I was curious about externship opportunities in the boston area. I understand that there are 3 affiliated harvard teaching hospital residencies. Any ideas or thoughts on how good they are? I was told by a local pod that the outside non-pod rotations and name itself are very strong but the residencies themselves are not too well known in the podiatry world. I heard one of the residencies does not even offer an externship.

I think it is the outside rotations that make a program sometimes.

While everyone wants to go to the top program you have to pick the program that you will learn at best. Even though you only get about 4 externships or so, you can find time to visit other programs for a few days here and there.

In my 3rd and 4th years I found time to visit 10 programs including my 4externships. I interviewed at 2 programs that I did not visit and one still ranked me.

Try not to worry so much about the name. When you visit focus on the level of the 3rd year residents and how much the attendings trust them and let them fly. That is what you should expect of yourself as a 3rd year at that program. (there are always exceptions).

The current president of ACFAS is at Beth Israel. They only take 2 and the same goes for Cambridge, or maybe they take 3. Both publish and produce great DPM's in the field. There's a stereotype about MA that i recently learned about while in Pittsburgh. apparently because the state law is "silent" on ankles, many ppl believe you can't operate above the talus. Well that might be true for Mass Gen, each hospital makes it's own rules so while some programs have trouble doing reconstructive stuff, others thrive.

I got to meet Dr. Landsman at Beth Israel, great guy and top notch research DPM (the man does not sleep!). He's truly a great asset to that program as well as the current ACFAS prez, but realize that they're great cause they worked their asses off, making the profession what it is today. A lot of these guys just wanted to take teh profession to the next level and they are continuing to do that. Because of great DPM's like them, people can expect the best care from a Pod.

I really did not like Boston as a city, though, but i'm bias cause i went to school in Chicago, probably NYCPM peeps won't like boston either. The drive from Chicago was painful, 2 days with a stop somewhere outside of pittsburgh to, columbus back. Oh, you'll need a car, there is NO way you can survive under $1200 for the month if you don't have a car! serious.

If you need a place to sublet, let me know, i still got my land lady's email and number (her house was awesome! and she has a hot daugther!)

Members don't see this ad :)
The current president of ACFAS is at Beth Israel. They only take 2 and the same goes for Cambridge, or maybe they take 3. Both publish and produce great DPM's in the field. There's a stereotype about MA that i recently learned about while in Pittsburgh. apparently because the state law is "silent" on ankles, many ppl believe you can't operate above the talus. Well that might be true for Mass Gen, each hospital makes it's own rules so while some programs have trouble doing reconstructive stuff, others thrive.

I got to meet Dr. Landsman at Beth Israel, great guy and top notch research DPM (the man does not sleep!). He's truly a great asset to that program as well as the current ACFAS prez, but realize that they're great cause they worked their asses off, making the profession what it is today. A lot of these guys just wanted to take teh profession to the next level and they are continuing to do that. Because of great DPM's like them, people can expect the best care from a Pod.

I really did not like Boston as a city, though, but i'm bias cause i went to school in Chicago, probably NYCPM peeps won't like boston either. The drive from Chicago was painful, 2 days with a stop somewhere outside of pittsburgh to, columbus back. Oh, you'll need a car, there is NO way you can survive under $1200 for the month if you don't have a car! serious.

If you need a place to sublet, let me know, i still got my land lady's email and number (her house was awesome! and she has a hot daugther!)

oh the 3 programs where your degree will say "Harvard Medical School" are:

Beth Israel
Cambridge
Mass General Hospital

oh the 3 programs where your degree will say "Harvard Medical School" are:

Beth Israel
Cambridge
Mass General Hospital

Does anyone know...

On the AACPM website, it has a list of residencies. Some of them require U.S. Citizenship.

I am a permanent resident and as good as a citizen as far as financial aid and the like. I know I'm out for DVA spots...but the Mass General has that stipulation as well.

Can I only snag residencies that have absolutely NO requirement in the visa status section?

Beth Israel - Heavy on diabetic limb salvage, affiliated also with Joslin Diabetes Institute. You also get to rotate through Children's Hospital - Boston. Take 2 residents per year.

Mass General - trauma and alot of forefoot work (at least when I was there). Take one resident per year.

Cambridge Hospital - Trauma, ankle and reconstructive work. They would get alot of failures and do the redos there. Current program director was former resident from the program. Take 2 residents per year.

Boston is an expensive city to live in and the commute can be terrible from the suburbs, but it is a very young city and alot of educated people in the city with all of the universities. I highly recommend you visit the programs to get a feel if you will fit in.

Boston is an expensive city to live in and the commute can be terrible from the suburbs, but it is a very young city and alot of educated people in the city with all of the universities. I highly recommend you visit the programs to get a feel if you will fit in.

jewmougous, you're from NY right? I don't think you'll like boston. It was a young city, but everything closed at 10pm!! I'm not talking about bars, but book stores, coffee shops, etc. In Chicago, places to "just hang out" were open to 12am, it was nice when i can't study at home.

Boston's still a better city than most, but it's really more expensive than what it offers. It's like CALI prices.... jmo

definitely visit, cause if you end up asking ppl who have never been there, you'll here about all these stories and steriotypes that may or may not be true (like I learned). I still have great respect for my experience at Beth Israel as I did at all my externships.

I'm from the island but have been to boston a few times. Seems pretty cool but I was just curious about the residencies/externships available there.

Honestly, I never hear much about New york residencies, in the city or elsewhere. There's a 3 year not too far from me called "North Shore - LIJ" , a pretty large hospital system. I was thinking of checking it out this summer to see about shadowing residents.