Hard Time Finding Plastic Specific Research

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sms333

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
MS-2 here. I only have 1 first-author publication in plastics and another presentation. I have 3 other research experiences in other fields. People on here make it seem like you need to have 10+ plastic research publications to match integrated plastics though. I have a home program but we are not a very research-heavy institution. I have emailed more than 25 outside institution program directors to no avail. How do people get connected? I am very interested in an academic career and genuinely want to get involved in more research.

Members don't see this ad.

See the paragraph on Research Productivity for average number of research papers for matched and non-matched applicants in 2018.

Integrated Plastic Surgery Applicant Review: Important Factors and Selection Criteria

You won’t likely get a response by emailing busy program directors. Reach out to plastics residents at your program. They have research requirements they will be happy to have a gofer assist with.

Seriously consider doing a research year. Contact attendings at your institution for opportunities on this. If your program does not have any, they will probably be happy to put you in touch with their contacts at other institutions that may need a research assistant.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
MS-2 here. I only have 1 first-author publication in plastics and another presentation. I have 3 other research experiences in other fields. People on here make it seem like you need to have 10+ plastic research publications to match integrated plastics though. I have a home program but we are not a very research-heavy institution. I have emailed more than 25 outside institution program directors to no avail. How do people get connected? I am very interested in an academic career and genuinely want to get involved in more research.
I'm in your boat sms333. Kevin Jubbal (MedInsiders) on YouTube has a pretty good video on how he approached research for his plastics app. From what I gather, if you can find a suitable mentor they can help you pump out chart reviews on ideas you come up with on your own initiative. (link: www.youtube.com/watch?v=H9aMenyBdkk)

Your link lists an average of 14.2 "abstracts, presentations, and publications," not "research papers." It's important to clarify that, as someone might gather that the average plastics applicant has 14+ research papers from what you posted.
Thank you, I misspoke.