happy bengali new year!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fido!

the ex-***!
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
wishing all a very happy bengali new year! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

hi guys,

i just have a general question about new year in india.

i noticed that many indian hindus celebrate new year's around Diwali and many others around this time of the year (before Ram Navmi). people tell me that many gujaratis/marathis celebrate it around Diwali b/c it is the beginning of the Business new year. but speaking religiously, which one is the true Hindu new year?

just curious...

thanks!

gwen said:
hi guys,

i just have a general question about new year in india.

i noticed that many indian hindus celebrate new year's around Diwali and many others around this time of the year (before Ram Navmi). people tell me that many gujaratis/marathis celebrate it around Diwali b/c it is the beginning of the Business new year. but speaking religiously, which one is the true Hindu new year?

just curious...

thanks!

Marathi (Maharashtrian) new year is aroud Ram Navmi and not around Diwali. For that matter so far i havent heard any community celebrating new year around Diwali. Indian society is primarily an agragarian one. This time of year coincides harvest season, so in a way an agricultural cycles come to an end during this period and a new cycle starts. Hence people celebrate new year around this time. Marathis follow Shak Samvatsar calender according to which we are living in year 1928. In the north they follow Vikram Samvatsar which is ahead of christian calender.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for your post. i know for a fact that gujus celebrate their new year around diwali. i'm kashmiri and we celebrate it in the spring like most other hindus. i was just curious about the diwali new year...where did that come from? business new year? but what abt people who are not business ppl in gujarat?