Hair Perm Before Interview: Good Idea? Bad Idea?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kirbypuff

Worldling
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just finished 17 applications to pharmacy schools... and I need to treat myself! I've been growing my hair so that I can get a body wave perm. I'm going for a glam look. So I figured, this is the perfect time to treat myself to something I've been wanting for a year. However, I have an interview on 10/31... I'm wondering if I should get the perm before or after the interview.

(I know this thread sounds stupid, but whatever, I finished 17 apps/supps/begging for LoRs/PCAT/PTCB/counting pills/everything!--I deserve this! ;))

Members don't see this ad.

hahaha I LOVE it! I told myself that I would treat myself to a pair of Christian Louboutins if I get an interview! Well I got an interview, now I'm trying to find the $$ lol.

Anyways, go for it, treat yourself, anything to take off this stupid stress of applying and waiting!

Actually, I permed my hair right before my graduation back in June (turned out kind of poofy) and just had my first interview two days ago (it's loosen a bit now). If your hair is long, then I might go ahead and do it with loose curls. I straightened my hair on my interview day though just because I thought I would look more softer and blend in with everyone else. I might try to leave it curly at my next interview...maybe I'll stand out from everyone else!...:laugh:

Yes, I need to treat myself too! But too bad I can't because I'm so busy with my classes and still need to work on 5 more apps.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why did I click on this thread

hahaha I LOVE it! I told myself that I would treat myself to a pair of Christian Louboutins if I get an interview! Well I got an interview, now I'm trying to find the $$ lol.

Anyways, go for it, treat yourself, anything to take off this stupid stress of applying and waiting!

LOL! I know I'm broke too!

Actually, I permed my hair right before my graduation back in June (turned out kind of poofy) and just had my first interview two days ago (it's loosen a bit now). If your hair is long, then I might go ahead and do it with loose curls. I straightened my hair on my interview day though just because I thought I would look more softer and blend in with everyone else. I might try to leave it curly at my next interview...maybe I'll stand out from everyone else!...:laugh:

Yes, I need to treat myself too! But too bad I can't because I'm so busy with my classes and still need to work on 5 more apps.

DAYEM girl! you already did 18 apps and you wanna do 5 more? I'm TOTALLY done with 17. Nothing in this world could possibly force me to do another one. You deserve a cookie!

This is completely off topic, but oh well, why shouldn't we have a fun thread.

So what exactly does a perm do? Does it make your hair really poofy? Or just curly or what? I think it would be fun to try.

PS: I take it your hair is long, mine is too..are you going to wear it up or down for the interview? I can't decide what to do/what is appropriate. What do you think??

DAYEM girl! you already did 18 apps and you wanna do 5 more? I'm TOTALLY done with 17. Nothing in this world could possibly force me to do another one. You deserve a cookie!

Oh yea, I meant 5 supplementals. :D I had submitted to all the schools through PharmCAS, but I haven't gotten to 5 supplemental apps yet. haha...:laugh: They are too time consuming!! I'll drop dead after the holidays...but then again I'll have to prepare for more interviews (hopefully)...ugh. We better get those acceptance letters or else...:smuggrin:

So what exactly does a perm do? Does it make your hair really poofy? Or just curly or what? I think it would be fun to try.

PS: I take it your hair is long, mine is too..are you going to wear it up or down for the interview? I can't decide what to do/what is appropriate. What do you think??

I'd say it makes curly, but not that poofy. I usually ask for loose curls just for a body wave. At the interviews, I noticed a lot of people usually leave their hair down. I saw like maybe 2 people in ponytails, but yea...I think it's more professional if you leave it down.

I'd say it makes curly, but not that poofy. I usually ask for loose curls just for a body wave. At the interviews, I noticed a lot of people usually leave their hair down. I saw like maybe 2 people in ponytails, but yea...I think it's more professional if you leave it down.

Oh, good! For some reason, I thought it was more professional to wear it up. I'd so much rather leave it down anyway.

Haha yay! I love it how you love this thread! =)

I'm doing the body wave which makes gives my hair big loose curls. I've seen it come out nice on one friend, but also I've seen a poofy outcome on another friend.

Yea, my hair is super long now. I'm thinking half up is the way to go. And I figure, even if I have wavy hair, half up will keep it tame.

Aww these posts make me wish that I end up in the same schools as you girls! you and cinnamonroll :p

Haha yay! I love it how you love this thread! =)

I'm doing the body wave which makes gives my hair big loose curls. I've seen it come out nice on one friend, but also I've seen a poofy outcome on another friend.

Yea, my hair is super long now. I'm thinking half up is the way to go. And I figure, even if I have wavy hair, half up will keep it tame.

Aww these posts make me wish that I end up in the same schools as you girls! you and cinnamonroll :p

lol aww I hope so tooo!!

I've actually wanted to post for awhile about something like this, but I didn't want to be e-yelled at:)
So I'm glad you did!!

If you're planning to perm your hair, don't do it the day (or two days) before the interview day. Do it at least a week beforehand, so it looks a bit more natural. Yea, half up seems fine. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
lol aww I hope so tooo!!

I've actually wanted to post for awhile about something like this, but I didn't want to be e-yelled at:)
So I'm glad you did!!

hahaha taking one for the ladies ;) I was apprehensive too, but I was like, screw it, nobody's gonna judge me =)

If you're planning to perm your hair, don't do it the day (or two days) before the interview day. Do it at least a week beforehand, so it looks a bit more natural. Yea, half up seems fine. :)

yea, foreal~ I think I'm going to do it this week. =)

What's your #1 school choice? I think me and alenadoma want UB.

yea, foreal~ I think I'm going to do it this week. =)

What's your #1 school choice? I think me and alenadoma want UB.

Ideally, I want to get accepted to any of the schools in Cali, but it's just too competitive! I did apply to UB last year, but got rejected...So now, I decided to apply there again. I'll see how it goes this year. Where is your interview at on the 31st?

Hell, I spent over $400 on a suit and accessories for my interviews, so I guess go for your perm...

I would say an up hairdo would be okay, if its a professional looking up hairdo. I really would NOT do a ponytail to an interview. Now I'm one of the few people who have good looking hair if I do a headband (according to my mother in law), but I really think I would wear it down to the interview. I just got to use a lot of layered hair spray to tame this thick mane.

I may treat myself to a new straightening iron if I get an interview this cycle.

Hah Hah! You girls are hilarious! I hope I end up going to the same school as all of you!

BTW, If you plan on getting a perm before an interview don't expose your hair to water because it can deactivate the immonium thygocolate.

Good luck to all of you!

Last edited:
Hah Hah! You girls are hilarious! I hope I end up going to the same school as all of you!

BTW, If you plan on getting a perm before an interview don't expose your hair to water because it can deactivate the immonium thygocolate.

Good luck to all of you!
Someone's been watching "Legally Blonde," I see.

I asked around some of my friends in the business world and they've all said that hair up or down is not a big deal. I hate having mine on my neck, so I almost exclusively wear it in a ponytail. I think I wore it down for my interview.

My boyfriend's hair is mid back and he's got a beard and he got in - in fact several very conservative members of the admin committee commented on how nice his hair looked in a ponytail.

And I am SO GLAD that I'm not the only person in the world considering a loose perm. When I mention it everyone seems to think of the perms we all had in middle school :D I have ok wavy hair in the back, but the front is ungodly straight (probably partially due to years of ponytails I would guess). I just want cute wavy hair!

PS I'm actually going to see Legally Blonde the musical tonight and I'm very excited!!

My boyfriend's hair is mid back and he's got a beard and he got in - in fact several very conservative members of the admin committee commented on how nice his hair looked in a ponytail.

To me that's an exception...... There is something to a man who has a nicely done ponytail when they have long hair. Especially if they have it cleanly pulled back, with no stragglies on the side. I have a friend who wears his hair like that when he dresses up, and it definitely looks good.....Just curious, did he have his beard neatly trimmed up?

To me that's an exception...... There is something to a man who has a nicely done ponytail when they have long hair. Especially if they have it cleanly pulled back, with no stragglies on the side. I have a friend who wears his hair like that when he dresses up, and it definitely looks good.....Just curious, did he have his beard neatly trimmed up?

yeah, I think he just had it as a goatee at that point. I don't remember.

This seems like a good thread to ask for advice :). I just got a suit for my interview and it's really cute, but it isn't your "traditional" looking suit. It is REALLY cute, but it has 3/4 inch length sleeves and I got a really dressy turtle neck with long sleeves to go under it. The material and buttons, etc. are just as formal as a regular suit, just the style is a little different. Would this be okay for an interview? I'm trying to find a picture of it online to include for opinions... Thanks!

Okay, I can't find any online but you get the idea. Anybody?

This seems like a good thread to ask for advice :). I just got a suit for my interview and it's really cute, but it isn't your "traditional" looking suit. It is REALLY cute, but it has 3/4 inch length sleeves and I got a really dressy turtle neck with long sleeves to go under it. The material and buttons, etc. are just as formal as a regular suit, just the style is a little different. Would this be okay for an interview? I'm trying to find a picture of it online to include for opinions... Thanks!

ooooh tough question... I would be too chicken to wear anything out of the norm... and I wouldn't advise something I wouldn't do so my vote is nay. However, get other people's votes too. On the flip side, if I were the interviewer, I wouldn't judge you based on your 3/4 sleeve jacket, in fact, I would think you're trendy.... But you never know who you're going to get as your interviewer. So in case you have a super traditional interviewer who does care about that, I would save that cute suit for an event where you are not in the hot seat. :)

Hmmm...I'm all for cute suits, and the jacket sounds fun (mine is actually 3/4 sleeves too). But I agree, just in case you do have someone super strict, go for something more traditional. Maybe you could find a skirt or pants that match the jacket! Hope that helps :)

Ok, I have a question too. I have black patent leather stilletos, about 3.5 inches, and I really want to wear them (they're classy, not ugly :) ). How high of a heel do you guys think is appropriate? And what about patent leather??

I have the same issue with the "trendy" suit! I don't dress very plainly - I definitely have a strong sense of style and I don't really own anything supremely conservative. My suit is really nice, but its a black on black pinstripe, a 1-button suit jacket with 3/4 length sleeves, and a skirt which has pleats in the back instead of a slit. It looks really nice, fits perfectly, and with simple accessories I think it'll be fine. Maybe you should find a more conservative/typical shirt to wear under the trendy suit just to try to blend a little more? Thats my plan.

I'm also worried because I have a pretty loud hairstyle - I have big, thick, straight across the forehead bangs and pretty long hair...I'm considering pinning them back so my face is more visible and I look less like I wish I was at a fashion show :laugh:

I have the same issue with the "trendy" suit! I don't dress very plainly - I definitely have a strong sense of style and I don't really own anything supremely conservative. My suit is really nice, but its a black on black pinstripe, a 1-button suit jacket with 3/4 length sleeves, and a skirt which has pleats in the back instead of a slit. It looks really nice, fits perfectly, and with simple accessories I think it'll be fine. Maybe you should find a more conservative/typical shirt to wear under the trendy suit just to try to blend a little more? Thats my plan.

I'm also worried because I have a pretty loud hairstyle - I have big, thick, straight across the forehead bangs and pretty long hair...I'm considering pinning them back so my face is more visible and I look less like I wish I was at a fashion show :laugh:

haha, I'd so much rather be at a fashion show:p

Just make sure when you pin your hair back it looks natural, you don't want to feel self-conscience during your interview, the interviewers will probably be able to tell.
I think your suit sounds cute, go for it!

:smack::smack:I need to reward myself...maybe a little shopping spree on fri. just to finish my application. I think I'll take 2 days off and work on all three and finish pharmcas first, send it so they can calculte my gpa & I can hear something back. usn can maybe wait a little.

I got a perm last week and it took like 4 days to stop smelling icky. As long as you know how to do your hair with a perm and keep it looking good, do it whenever you want, as long as it's not going to be smelly.

Ooh good call on the smell! I didn't think of that before =P

Ok, so I have a newly acquired piece of advice about interviews that I thought I would share with you girls, this doesn't really pertain to guys.
I was talking to my cousin who is a doctor, she was chief resident a few years ago, and she did all of the interviewing of the residents. She said that it is bad to cross your legs during an interview, as it makes you seem closed off. Instead of crossing your legs one on top of the other, sit with them straight, and you can cross them at the bottom.
I don't know whether or not this is common knowledge, but I had no idea, and I thought I'd share with you all :)
I'm getting so nervous, my first interview is in FIVE DAYS!!!:eek:

Ok, so I have a newly acquired piece of advice about interviews that I thought I would share with you girls, this doesn't really pertain to guys.
I was talking to my cousin who is a doctor, she was chief resident a few years ago, and she did all of the interviewing of the residents. She said that it is bad to cross your legs during an interview, as it makes you seem closed off. Instead of crossing your legs one on top of the other, sit with them straight, and you can cross them at the bottom.
I don't know whether or not this is common knowledge, but I had no idea, and I thought I'd share with you all :)
I'm getting so nervous, my first interview is in FIVE DAYS!!!:eek:

:eek: I'm freaking out too, my first interview is this Thursday! Good luck to everyone! I've been told by other people to cross at the ankles and not how girls usually do. I think this pertains even more for people wearing skirt suits instead of pant suits.

Hmm. It doesn't apply to me, but this is the first time I've heard about not crossing your legs during an interview.

If it will help, think Julie Andrews in "The Princess Diaries." And I have to admit, I picked up sitting cues from that movie (yeah, I am that dorky!). :laugh:

Hmm. It doesn't apply to me, but this is the first time I've heard about not crossing your legs during an interview.

If it will help, think Julie Andrews in "The Princess Diaries." And I have to admit, I picked up sitting cues from that movie (yeah, I am that dorky!). :laugh:

Haha, I actually got all the etiquettes from that movie as well. :D

LOL - you know your chick flicks!

LOL - you know your chick flicks!
I know! Weird, isn't it? Sometimes I think I missed a big part of growing up. Since I came to the US, I've become a fan of Disney Channel, Nickelodeon, and ABC Family. I've also read lots of children's books, and I tend to gravitate toward movies that make me smile.

I just got to use a lot of layered hair spray to tame this thick mane.

I may treat myself to a new straightening iron if I get an interview this cycle.

I highly recommend the Chi Turbo. It's worth every penny - I got mine on ebay for about half-price. I've had it for a few years now and I don't know how I ever lived without it! :love:

Thanks girls! One more question... I am having a hard time finding a traditional suit. I have a newborn so I'm going to be trying to hide the remaining baby fat. Any ideas where I should shop?

Thanks girls! One more question... I am having a hard time finding a traditional suit. I have a newborn so I'm going to be trying to hide the remaining baby fat. Any ideas where I should shop?

Aww congratulations on a new baby!! How exciting :)

I was at Macy's today also looking for a suit, and they had soo many. Skirts, pants, dresses, all different colors, and a lot of them were on sale :) I'd definitely recommend Macy's!

I think that you don't perm. And I think that you can bring a
hair accessories . I think that it's most better effect. Hoped that it's ok.

Should I take a shower before the interview?

I love this thread! :laugh:

I vote no on the perm, wait til after you get ur acceptance letter :)

I would say an up hairdo would be okay, if its a professional looking up hairdo. I really would NOT do a ponytail to an interview. Now I'm one of the few people who have good looking hair if I do a headband (according to my mother in law), but I really think I would wear it down to the interview. I just got to use a lot of layered hair spray to tame this thick mane.

I'm treating myself to a FHI Runway straightening iron when I get accepted. I heard it's the Queen of flat irons! It should be since it retails for $450 :eek:

I'm treating myself to a FHI Runway straightening iron when I get accepted. I heard it's the Queen of flat irons! It should be since it retails for $450 :eek:

Good idea. I think everyone that gets accepted deserves a wonderful present! You should reward yourself!!