Other H1B visa question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AndreaBackmann

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I have a question about H1B - I know that for me to apply for any kind of clinical work (like pre-residency fellowships, residency) and get H1B it is required to have completed step 3 and got the license. But as far as I understand, to get H1B for a research position that does not involve direct interaction with patients, all three steps are not required, basically, all I need, is my MD degree and a lab wanting to accept me on this basis.

The actual question is - if it would be possible for me to come on H1B to a lab for a research for, lets say, a year - would it be possible to change the basis for me coming on this visa if I later applied to residency or pre-residency fellowship as I will have got my license then? As I know they give H1B for 3 years - does this mean I have to stay in that exact lab position for all 3 years or I could change to clinical fellowship or residency after that year as soon as I complete all 3 steps?

I know it is a complicated question but maybe there is someone who has had any experience with this...

Any information will be appreciated! Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

You don't have to stay in the same lab for 3 years, you are free to find another job before the 3 years are done (of course depending on the contract you sign with the lab). However, if you get another job, you will have to reapply for a H1b visa, and if that new job is a clinical job you would need a license and all 3 USMLE steps completed in order to get the visa. In other words - H1b visas are not transferable for physicians.

You should also remember that the maximum time you can be on a H1b visa is 6 years (all H1b visas added together). You can get a 7th year, but only if you're in the process of applying for a green card.

Hope that helps. Good luck!