H.R. 5122 is now Law...Stipend increase

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Tooth

Orthodontist
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
President Bush signed into law H.R. 5122 into law today. Section 538 allows the DoD to pay up to $30,000 to all HPSPer's. Check it out on the whitehouse.gov website.

Members don't see this ad.

Will this go into effect immediately? The beginning of the fiscal year has already passed.

Will this go into effect immediately? The beginning of the fiscal year has already passed.

I'm not going to bet on it. Technically, the stipend doesn't have to increase at all; all the bill did was change what we COULD get. I'm sure it WILL go up because of recruiting problems, but it may not happen for a few months and may or may not be retroactive -- probably not since the bill did not specifically set our stipend at a higher amount.

Members don't see this ad :)
YES!!!!!! This Rocks all other rockings! Of course, the stipend increase will barely pay for parking in San Francisco. At least this way I wont have to sell my first born or anything. Thank you Dubya!

I'm curious. If you signed up already, will you get the bump when the increase does happen, or should you just wait until after it goes into effect?

I'm curious. If you signed up already, will you get the bump when the increase does happen, or should you just wait until after it goes into effect?

I don't think anyone knows the answer to that question. The law doesn't go into that kind of detail. My guess is that it's for everyone not just the newbies.

I asked the AF recruiter, he said that it would be for everyone. But... and there is always a but, this only works if our lovely new democratic legislature funds the authorizations.

Excellent point Chuck. HR 5122 is an authorization bill, not an appropriations bill. I'm not getting too excited yet.

anything new on it? I heard the same thing about appropriations....man would that be nice to have that increase...

Guys don't listen to anything Dentalguy says. He's nothing but an a-hole who likes to blow out his knee.

if blowing your knee out is cool, consider me dentalguy