GW versus ....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Benjo

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I recently got into the GW MPH-epidemiology program with a pretty decent scholarship package (Dean's scholarship, supposedly the most prestigious in the school). I wanted to know how GW's program is thought of, and how it stacks up against BU (MPH), Columbia (MPH), and Hopkins (MHS). Assuming I get into either Hopkins or Columbia, should I go, even if it means a lot more money? Thanks for the help.

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Benjo
I recently got into the GW MPH-epidemiology program with a pretty decent scholarship package (Dean's scholarship, supposedly the most prestigious in the school). I wanted to know how GW's program is thought of, and how it stacks up against BU (MPH), Columbia (MPH), and Hopkins (MHS). Assuming I get into either Hopkins or Columbia, should I go, even if it means a lot more money? Thanks for the help.

I got into the CU MPH and the JHU MHS. Personally I think the MPH being a full degree is more valuable than the MHS from JHU. However, the JHU name is towering in public health so you'll have to decide what is more important. As long as the schools are accredited by the major public health associations I don think you can lose. I'd knock out BU since it doesnt match up to hopkins or columbia and you dont get a scholarship.

Hi Benjo,

From a friend who went to and graduated from GW (MHSA), I can tell you that GW is a relatively young, but decent program. Exmike is right, it's really not about where you get your MPH, but what you do with the degree. When I applied to grad school (many moons ago :)), my decision came down to BU and Michigan; but a lifestyle choice (i.e., not wanting to live on peanut butter sandwiches while trying to survive financially in Boston) drove me toward my final decision. My friend is in the Epi program at BU, and she is pretty happy with it.

I think that it might be best to contact each of the programs and find out if you can talk to the students in each. By hearing directly from the horses mouth about whether they're happy with their programs, and most importantly, WHY they're happy, then it might help you make a decision that is not solely a financial one.

Best of luck to you,
H&T

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi Benjo,

I am currently attending GWU MPH program. I wanted to know what is the deal with getting the Dean's scholarship. Did you just apply for it or it's based on you grades or something else? please let me know.

thankx.

Hi--interesting question. I'll tell you what happened. I submitted my application on a Tuesday (i.e. it got there on that day), and by Saturday I had an e-mail with an attached acceptance letter telling me I wa accepted with a merit scholarship as well as a Dean's scholarship, with emphasis on the fact that it is the most prestigious scholarship they award. That is all--it isn't that great--it's only a one-time 3-credit scholarship, so it isn't that compelling. By the way, how do you like GW--can you give me some insight into what the program is like there (I appleid to the epi track), and how you and other students like it. Thanks in advance.

That's great. I really was not into the whole MPH thing when I started to be honest. but as first semester ended and I began to learn more about Epi. and preventive health .... I began really liking the program. I think the Epi track is a great program to get into (although the toughest one). Students are great and it's location --Washington DC can't be better. Good luck. :)

Hi,
I'm going to be entering the MD/MPH program at GW and I was wondering if you knew how those students handle the program.
Fred
AIM: FreddyDPT