Guidance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Cknight

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am doing an IM residency, and was planning to pursue Pulm/CC; but, due to family issues, I will be idle for a couple of years. What could enhance my chances of getting a good fellowship? I was considering doing research or getting a PHD. Any suggestions?

Members don't see this ad.

I am doing an IM residency, and was planning to pursue Pulm/CC; but, due to family issues, I will be idle for a couple of years. What could enhance my chances of getting a good fellowship? I was considering doing research or getting a PHD. Any suggestions?

Do you like research?

kg

i do,but i was wondering what would strengthen my cv most to get into a better fellowship. I know that getting involved in research at a top-notch place isn't that hard and it can do wonders for your application.

Members don't see this ad :)
i do,but i was wondering what would strengthen my cv most to get into a better fellowship. I know that getting involved in research at a top-notch place isn't that hard and it can do wonders for your application.
Do you have a "dream" fellowship in mind? If you do, be honest with the PD and ask them. All of the PDs I've been in contact with are extremly fellowcentric (I just made that word up). They'll be straight with you if you are with them. If you do like research then try and find a lab at the place you want to end up. If you don't then maybe being a hospitalist for a year or so may be more ideal for your needs (and you can make some $).

The bottom line is that most cc fellowships aren't nearly as competitive as cards or gi, talk with the PD at the program you really want to go to, ask their advice and then follow it.

Good luck,
kg

i don't have any specific place i wanted to go to, but i was hoping for a reputable program... i just wanted to know if, in the greater scheme of things, if hospitalist or research does more for you.

i don't have any specific place i wanted to go to, but i was hoping for a reputable program... i just wanted to know if, in the greater scheme of things, if hospitalist or research does more for you.

I think it depends more on "you" rather than what you do for those extra years. If you make a true educated decision based on what your personal and professional goals are, that goes a lot further with a PD than if you are "just killing time" and doing what you think will get you in a program.

I don't want to sound harsh or flippant, but really think what kind of doc you want to be in the next 10 years. Do you want to be a die hard researcher living from one big grant to the next just waiting to make that next breakthrough in CC? Or do you want to be a private practice intensivist working 14 shifts and enjoying a nice life with your family. Or do you want to work in an academic center where you'll focus on educating residents/fellows rather than doing research?

It is really hard to be a triple threat (excellent educator, researcher, and clinician). It is more realistic to focus on one primary and maybe a secondary goal.

Once you figure this out, then maybe getting some more clinical exposure as an attending in the Hospitalist role is perfect for you. Or maybe you want to dive into research for 2 years to see if you really want to be a researcher. If you don't like it then you'll know you won't make future career decisions that emphasize research.

Does working in a research lab help you get in a good CC program? Sure, it can help, but that doesn't mean working as a hospitalist won't.

When I interview fellows their enthusiasm and dedication for CC makes more of an impression on me than whether or not they worked in a lab or as a hospitalist.

Hope this helps,

kg

Thanks so much for your help. I agree with you, it definitely depends on your ambitions. I could go either way in terms of what I would do with my time, I can see the appeal of hospitalist and of researcher... either way, I honestly still have an inclination towards the side of academics and research, so I will most likely pursue that... I did have one other question, what is the first step toward getting into a research project at a major institution, seen as how I have no contacts whatsoever to lean on? Thanks again.

Thanks so much for your help. I agree with you, it definitely depends on your ambitions. I could go either way in terms of what I would do with my time, I can see the appeal of hospitalist and of researcher... either way, I honestly still have an inclination towards the side of academics and research, so I will most likely pursue that... I did have one other question, what is the first step toward getting into a research project at a major institution, seen as how I have no contacts whatsoever to lean on? Thanks again.

First thing you should do is find a mentor in critical care that you trust and who is doing research. Confide in them about your long term goals and see if you can work on a project.

Good luck
kg

Can hospitalists work in the ICU at smaller hospitals without CC fellowship? Are you really doing IM/EM and CC? Wow

Thanks

BW

First thing you should do is find a mentor in critical care that you trust and who is doing research. Confide in them about your long term goals and see if you can work on a project.

Good luck
kg

Can hospitalists work in the ICU at smaller hospitals without CC fellowship? Are you really doing IM/EM and CC? Wow

Thanks

BW

Yes they can and do.

I completed a 5 yr EM/IM residency and 2 yr CC fellowship. I now enjoy a great academic practice divided between EM/CCM/research.

kg

I've heard it mentioned on here that intensivists have a great schedule - shiftwork similar to hospitalists and ED physicians. Is that true for the most part? Also how do the salaries compare?

I've heard it mentioned on here that intensivists have a great schedule - shiftwork similar to hospitalists and ED physicians. Is that true for the most part? Also how do the salaries compare?

Extremely variable (both salary and type of work). The "trend" is moving towards this primarily hospital based shift work practice with salary slightly behind or at the level of the ED physician.

Too many variables to give you a solid answer. Sorry.

kg