Guidance Required

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MZA

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Dear forum seniors, first of all congratulation to all of you who matched this year. This is indeed great achievement. I am an IMG and doing my residency on J-1 visa. I am interested in Hem/Onc and have been preparing my CV for a while. But i have some serious issue. Due to some unfortunate reasons i became about 6 months off-cycle in me residency. Now due to this issue i, obviously can't apply for a match (next year), And being on J-1 visa, i can't wait to apply for next year as i will be finishing my residency in december and will have no training position in between and in that case J-1 2 year home residency rule will apply on me.

I know my situation is a complex one but i would really appreciate if someone can guide me and give me any kind of input to deal with this situation without going for J-1 waiver. I would really appreciate any kind of input. I am very frustrated with this situation and needs your sincere advice.

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Members don't see this ad.

You may need to search actively for an open PGY-4 position right after you finish your residency. Or if you are a stellar applicant, maybe they could begin your fellowship on a later date. Hope everything works out.

Dear forum seniors, first of all congratulation to all of you who matched this year. This is indeed great achievement. I am an IMG and doing my residency on J-1 visa. I am interested in Hem/Onc and have been preparing my CV for a while. But i have some serious issue. Due to some unfortunate reasons i became about 6 months off-cycle in me residency. Now due to this issue i, obviously can't apply for a match (next year), And being on J-1 visa, i can't wait to apply for next year as i will be finishing my residency in december and will have no training position in between and in that case J-1 2 year home residency rule will apply on me.

I know my situation is a complex one but i would really appreciate if someone can guide me and give me any kind of input to deal with this situation without going for J-1 waiver. I would really appreciate any kind of input. I am very frustrated with this situation and needs your sincere advice.

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Your options:

1) Chief year for 6 month at your program
2) Do waiver and reapply after green card
3) Apply for fellowship, but only home program hemonc program director can wait for your 6 month late start...chances very slim

Thank you guys, appreciate your response.