Gre?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BabyBleusMommy

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I am studying for the GRE to get into an Au.D. program. My program doesn't have a cut off score (obviously the higher the better). Anyone mind telling me what you scored or what other people in your programs scored? I would like to have a goal score in mind.

Members don't see this ad.

Generally, most of the schools will state that they are looking for a combined score of at least 1000, if that helps. I looked and the average scores for the schools in my area on the ASHA site, and it seems like most people scored 600s to 800s on both sections. I unfortunately got a 500 verbal and a 420 quantitative, so I am retaking it soon for a higher score. I took it a couple of weeks after I had a baby, and I am sure that sleep deprivation had something to do with that! I only got through half of the quantitative questions! So, I think a better score is coming for me.

How are you preparing for the GRE?? How much time to do you have? I think the computer program that came with my GRE Prep book certainly helped me with the vocab and math sections.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't remember what my exact score was. I do remember it was 8 something and that was it pretty much the average score. I was going to retake it, but then I received my admittance letter, so I did not.

Hope this helps!

Quantitative: 690; Verbal: 520; Written: 4.5. As the written section is not calculated in the cumulative score, I received a 1210. I actually think my score was a little higher than average. Although many programs list 1000 as the cut off for consideration, I would certainly want to score higher than the lowest accepted score. BUT, if you do score closer to this cut off, please remember that the GRE score is only a very small part of what acceptance committees consider. If you have strong undergraduate grades, volunteer experience, and demonstrate a dedication/desire for the profession during your interview, you can certainly compensate for a lower GRE.

I hope this helps. :)

I am also looking into writing my GRE. Does anyone have any tips. How should I prepare? Do you suggest I take the prep-course or will the free cd be enough?

i recently wrote the gre, and i remember how frustrating it was to not find enough practice tests without paying big money. i suggest using kaplan books to review content, and then buying adaptive exams online. 800score.com has a few practice exams, but theirs were downloadable and i didn't find they were actually adaptive. the best website was http://graduatetestprep.com/, which had cheap and accurate practice tests. after reviewing content, i used graduate test prep's exams to prepare, and i did very well! 800M, 690V. the key was taking adaptive practice exams in simulated testing conditions.

good luck. pm me if you have any additional questions about test preparation.

I took a prep course offered through my university (it was 24 hours over 8 weeks) and got a 530 in verbal and 710 in quantitative (1240). I just got my first acceptance at Northwestern. I think my key to success was being confident in my abilities, I don't get test anxiety and I've been a "good tester" since elementary school. I only got an 1170 or 1190 on the SAT, but that was without a prep course and I think the shorter time on the GRE helped with my attention holding skills ha.

When you register, you get some kind of free prep program downloadable from the ETS website. It has three sets of practice problems for every section and two practice tests, along with a bunch of sample essays with the scoring and comments. Those were incredibly helpful as far as knowing what they were looking for in a response. I worked my way through all of those, did the Kaplan math review book, and did the verbal section in Barron's, starting about a month before the test for about an hour every couple of night. 730V/790Q/6A, but I tend to do standardized tests very well (1510 SAT), so a prep course might be better for some. I did it for the SAT and I don't know how much impact it actually had on my score, but I found it to be a waste of time and money and didn't do it for the GRE. I don't really think you need it.