GRE : thank u, next. WAMC

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dirtypaws

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi Friends! Well, that test sucked big time. I guess I'm really hoping that you guys might have some advice since I'm having an internal debate about retaking the GRE after getting such a low score in quant (145).

Cumulative GPA: 4.0
science GPA: 4.0
last 45: 4.0

Any degrees achieved

None

GRE results: Q/V/W

145/154/just took it today.

Veterinary Experience:
-100 hours at a military veterinary treatment center while I was enlisted.
-500 hours at a humane society with high volume spay/neuter clinic, low-cost vaccine clinic, and community outreach days.
-plan to get more hours at an additional human society here in fort collins, CO (just moved here recently)

Animal Experience:
-2000 large animal hours, working at a boarding and lesson facility
-Horseback riding as well as volunteering at a veteran's riding facility over 200 hours
-Dog sitting professionally over 100 hours

Research Experience:

None

Awards/scholarships:
-Biological science scholarship at CC (2017)
-Chemistry Scholarship (2018)
-Various military awards

Extracurriculars:
-Student Veterans Club
-Veterans Therapeutic Riding Club
-Looking into adding additional things in this area.

Employment:
-Vet Assistant, Santa Barbra Humane Society 6 months
-US Navy Enlistment, 5 years
-Retail (target, boutique stores before I was 18)

Summarize any concerns you have

My biggest concern is my GRE currently. I am so proud of my GPA and how hard I have worked to maintain it but in doing this I didn't prioritize the GRE. (Thank you summer session of O-chem). I am applying to CSU (in-state), Cornell, OSU, Washington, and VAMD (Thankfully who don't require the GRE). I also worry about lack of hours and extracurriculars. Realistically I could retake the GRE, but dropping 200 dollars and being unsure with how much I will actually raise my score is giving me doubts. What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

Hi Friends! Well, that test sucked big time. I guess I'm really hoping that you guys might have some advice since I'm having an internal debate about retaking the GRE after getting such a low score in quant (145).

Cumulative GPA: 4.0
science GPA: 4.0
last 45: 4.0

Any degrees achieved

None

GRE results: Q/V/W

145/154/just took it today.

Veterinary Experience:
-100 hours at a military veterinary treatment center while I was enlisted.
-500 hours at a humane society with high volume spay/neuter clinic, low-cost vaccine clinic, and community outreach days.
-plan to get more hours at an additional human society here in fort collins, CO (just moved here recently)

Animal Experience:
-2000 large animal hours, working at a boarding and lesson facility
-Horseback riding as well as volunteering at a veteran's riding facility over 200 hours
-Dog sitting professionally over 100 hours

Research Experience:

None

Awards/scholarships:
-Biological science scholarship at CC (2017)
-Chemistry Scholarship (2018)
-Various military awards

Extracurriculars:
-Student Veterans Club
-Veterans Therapeutic Riding Club
-Looking into adding additional things in this area.

Employment:
-Vet Assistant, Santa Barbra Humane Society 6 months
-US Navy Enlistment, 5 years
-Retail (target, boutique stores before I was 18)

Summarize any concerns you have

My biggest concern is my GRE currently. I am so proud of my GPA and how hard I have worked to maintain it but in doing this I didn't prioritize the GRE. (Thank you summer session of O-chem). I am applying to CSU (in-state), Cornell, OSU, Washington, and VAMD (Thankfully who don't require the GRE). I also worry about lack of hours and extracurriculars. Realistically I could retake the GRE, but dropping 200 dollars and being unsure with how much I will actually raise my score is giving me doubts. What do you guys think?
Hi,
Old CO resident applied to CSU was accepted, but chose WSU. I dont think your GRE is going to tank you as bad as you think. All your stuff seems fairly solid imo. I dont recall how important GRE is to CSU, but you can look on WSU and you'll be in tier 1 purely for your gpa. I think as long as you have solid letters and essays I think you'll probably be ok and at least make it to interviews. With the limited time you have to retake the gre I'm not sure you could raise your score enough to reasonably justify the cost of a retake. Lmk if you have questions about either of those two I'd be happy to help!

Edit:also for wsu literally list everything you've done in the last 10 years that vmcas says to go back. Donated hair to locks of love?include it. Donate to arc?include it. Did a soup kitchen one time?add it. Enjoy hiking or kayaking? Add it. Hopefully that'll help you with the extra curriculars!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi,
Old CO resident applied to CSU was accepted, but chose WSU. I dont think your GRE is going to tank you as bad as you think. All your stuff seems fairly solid imo. I dont recall how important GRE is to CSU, but you can look on WSU and you'll be in tier 1 purely for your gpa. I think as long as you have solid letters and essays I think you'll probably be ok and at least make it to interviews. With the limited time you have to retake the gre I'm not sure you could raise your score enough to reasonably justify the cost of a retake. Lmk if you have questions about either of those two I'd be happy to help!

Edit:also for wsu literally list everything you've done in the last 10 years that vmcas says to go back. Donated hair to locks of love? include it. Donate to arc?include it. Did a soup kitchen one time?add it. Enjoy hiking or kayaking? Add it. Hopefully, that'll help you with the extracurriculars!

May I ask why you chose WSU over CSU? Thanks, I really appreciate all the advice. That was my thought process as well, I would rather finish Orgo with an A then raise it like 2 points. How interesting on the advice for WSU. I'll be sure to do that I do a lot of random things but usually don't do them long enough to put them in applications, thanks for the heads up!

May I ask why you chose WSU over CSU? Thanks, I really appreciate all the advice. That was my thought process as well, I would rather finish Orgo with an A then raise it like 2 points. How interesting on the advice for WSU. I'll be sure to do that I do a lot of random things but usually don't do them long enough to put them in applications, thanks for the heads up!
Cost. Even after paying 1 year out of state wsu at the time of my decision after factoring in inflation came out to about 30k cheaper than CSU just on tuition not including col difference. Ft Collins is also more expensive housing wise. I pay 850 for an apartment that at CSU would cost me somewhere around 1200-you can get a whole house for that price in pullman.

Reactions: 1 users
There are lots of schools that are no longer requiring the GRE. Only 4/10 of the schools to which I applied last year required it. You might consider adding some of those to your application list if you are super concerned. I know that Cornell places high value on the GRE for sure. Though, as Mixy mentioned, everything else is fairly solid so you may not have as much to worry about as you think.

Some of the schools that aren't requiring the GRE in addition to VAMD: Ohio State, Michigan State, Purdue, Iowa State

There are lots of schools that are no longer requiring the GRE. Only 4/10 of the schools to which I applied last year required it. You might consider adding some of those to your application list if you are super concerned. I know that Cornell places high value on the GRE for sure. Though, as Mixy mentioned, everything else is fairly solid so you may not have as much to worry about as you think.

Some of the schools that aren't requiring the GRE in addition to VAMD: Ohio State, Michigan State, Purdue, Iowa State
Thanks for your reply! Unfortunately, since I am only doing a semester of organic chem I won't be able to apply to some of those. I will double-check to make sure I didn't miss any!

Also on a side note, Its also my goal to get into shelter medicine, did you mention this in detail in your applications??

Also on a side note, Its also my goal to get into shelter medicine, did you mention this in detail in your applications??

No, but only because it's no longer what I'm trying to pursue. If you have specific goals, yes, you should talk about them if they fit well in the grand scheme of your application. Be sure to be specific as to why, and include unique details about yourself and your life that led you to your decision.