General Admissions & OTCAS GRE TEST ANY ADVICE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Makingmoves2014

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!!! I know everyone is tired of me posting on here but I'm like a sponge.....I'm trying to soak up so much information. Is there any advice you can give me about the GRE. I keep hearing horrid stories. I don't have time to study for it because I'm working full time and in school full time. I'm already stressed about applying to occupational therapy school. It's not looking so good right now. I'm thinking about the OTA route to OT bridge program but some school require the GRE for OTA to OT programs. So my question is how long should you study for the GRE???

Members don't see this ad.

Its really worth it to take some time off to focus on studying for it. Also, see if any of the schools you are applying to accept the MAT exam instead of the GRE...I don't know much about it except that its a much shorter exam and I believe its also easier, and there are schools out there that will accept either equally. For the GRE, they say on average two months. I studied for it one month but was able to completely focus on it during that time (no work or school.) I really recommend Magoosh online for the math, that was my weak point and it helped me a lot, and its good verbal practice as well. I used Kaplan books for essay advice and practice, as well as looking up online essays that received 5 and 6. If you have a smart phone, there are also some GREAT apps out there for studying the vocab that helped me a lot. If you're busy its an especially good option to look into, as you can study a little here and there when you have a spare moment. Also, the practice exams on the official GRE website are really helpful (and free). There are two of them, so you can take one after just a bit of studying to get an idea of what areas you need to focus on, and then take the second one a week or so before the exam to see where you've improved and what you still need to work on. Good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
This may not be the best advice to give but this honestly what I did, I only studied how to answer the essay questions and studied vocabulary words. I worked full time, took pre-req classes, and volunteered so I really didn't have time to study either. I can't afford to stop working and just study. I graduated college in 2010 and there was no way I was going to remember anything about math (I suck in math). I just applied to schools who didn't require the GRE or that didn't require a certain score. I was really stressed out about the test at first too but some schools will over look the score if they don't require a minimum score and focus more on other things (volunteer services, clubs, work experience). I would say don't give up, skip OTA and apply straight to OT school. I also did not have the best GPA but I really shinned in my interview which I believed really helped me out in getting accepted. This way I'm sure is not the best way but it worked for me

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello!!! I know everyone is tired of me posting on here but I'm like a sponge.....I'm trying to soak up so much information. Is there any advice you can give me about the GRE. I keep hearing horrid stories. I don't have time to study for it because I'm working full time and in school full time. I'm already stressed about applying to occupational therapy school. It's not looking so good right now. I'm thinking about the OTA route to OT bridge program but some school require the GRE for OTA to OT programs. So my question is how long should you study for the GRE???

I have some study tips for the GRE. I'm not a rep or anything...I just found these helpful. I got the Princeton review book for the vocab list and their approach to the writing section is great. Magoosh is a great online resource if you can afford it, but even if not, check out their hundreds of free youtube videos for vocab and problem solving skills. Read a ton of books from the 18th and 19th century, and copy every word you don't know in a journal, define them (check out Wordnik.com for great etymological details and links to usage on other webpages in context), and use them daily. My friends would roll their eyes when I used my GRE words, but ignore them. The more you use it, the more you master it! Also, get 30 Days to a More Powerful Vocabulary by Funk and Lewis. It's cheap, and will give you a rubric for studying vocab. I made 162V and 5.5 writing doing this. As for the quant, I made 77% but that's actually above the average for most OT problems. Somebody mentioned it on another thread, but the GRE really isn't a study of your IQ. The Princeton Review book does a good job of debunking the GRE and revealing what it really is...it's a measure of how well you can take the GRE. It's a marathon for the mind...to see who out there has the willingness to sit for 3+ hours and give as much mental effort as they can muster. I don't mean to sound like an inspirational speaker, but if you can focus your passion into mastering the GRE for about a 3 month period, I really believe that you could do much better than you assume. It's all about attention, focus, and the willingness to keep going when you think your brain is done with it all. If you've ever run, it's very similar. You can often run much further than you think if you just keep going!

I would definitely recommend viewing the GRE as a quick and controllable way of improving your resume. You don't have to take tons of expensive classes over a long period of time, you don't have to carve precious hours out of your workday (like with observation), you don't have to convince someone that you're deserving of a recommendation. It's all about how hard you're willing to push yourself to do well on the test. Aim high, work hard, and keep going when you think you've had enough, and you'll do much better than you think! Good luck!

Reactions: 1 users
I think how long you study for the GRE depends on how well you think you will do and how much time you actually have. Knowing that you work and take classes, I would prioritize the verbal and writing sections as those are generally weighted more by admissions committees. I found that most schools say they require about 50th percentile for each score but would prefer higher for the verbal and writing sections. If math is a struggle for you, as it was for me, I would recommend doing a somewhat quick refresher of basic concepts (I needed algebra especially) but then move onto the other sections. The GRE is an adaptive test, so sections may get more difficult or easier depending on how you did in the previous session for that subject. My first section of math went pretty horribly but the second section (which had the easier questions) included the more basic concepts I studied so I was still able to pull off about a 50% percentile.

For verbal and writing, a lot of your studying depends on how much time you are really willing to dedicate to studying. I mistakenly viewed the GRE as somewhat of an afterthought and didn't begin looking at materials until two weeks before my test. Because of this, there was no way I was going to memorize a ton of new vocabulary words. I focused my attention instead on analyzing the different questions they ask on the sections and the best ways to tackle them. I actually write standardized test questions for my current job (excited for a change!) so I can tell you that there are absolutely typical questions these test writers use and with some reasoning you can figure out the answers without even knowing the real definition of the word. I used the new kaplan book and it's online sample questions for this and scored a 161. I did not know the meanings of all the words on the test, nor did I feel like I had complete understanding of all the critical reading passages, but I was able to narrow a lot of my answers down with test strategies that I felt like Kaplan was helpful with. So, if you are in a bind for time, studying hundreds of vocabulary words won't be helpful to you. You really need several months of using those words for them to actually become an integral part of your vocabulary. I think you can, however, master some test strategies pretty quickly that will at least better your odds of a good score.

For writing, I also found the Kaplan book helpful. The essays for the GRE always follow the same two formats: developing an argument yourself and analyzing someone else's argument. If you know how to then form your argument and know the fallacies other people use in theirs, it doesn't matter the topic you are writing on. Like lcs2074, I also looked up 5 and 6 level essays as examples and found myself referring to them while I was writing my own. These examples can be really helpful and can give you clues on how to structure your essays. For my first essay, I remember following the structure of one example I read pretty closely. The way people form good arguments tends to stay the same. So as long as you can back up what you are saying with evidence and examples and you are able to do that cohesively, you will do well.

Overall, if you have the time to really dedicate to studying for the GRE, you should take the time and really put your full effort into it. I really do think it's a good way to distinguish yourself from other applicants, at least academically, and is especially helpful to counteract a low GPA. However, if you are unable to dedicate hours and hours to studying there are some quick things you can do strategically to better your score a bit. Good luck to you!!

I heard horror stories too, but I was able to receive average scores (and I got accepted this year with those scores) after only studying for about 10 hours the day before the exam. I wanted to study longer but the test date I had to choose was inconvenient and I had a very busy schedule around that time. Fear not, for many programs look at your entire application. I used a Kaplan book to study and it was really helpful. There are a lot of GRE-prep books available on Amazon.com. I would not worry about the GRE too much, as long as you paid attention in college.