GRE scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Foxtales

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys! I just took the GRE a second time, and didn't improve my scores all that much. I sent both GRE scores (my previous one and current) to the schools I'm applying too, and now am regretting it. I'm thinking of taking it again, but am not sure if it will harm my application if I take it 3 times. Therefore, how important is the GRE compared to the rest of the application?

I understand not every school requires the test, but all schools I'm applying to do require it.

Applying: UF, UGA, CSU, WSU, and Wisconsin (or Tennessee)
GRE quant: 153
Verbal: 152
Writing: waiting on that score, previous one was 4

My overall GPA: 3.66
Science GPA: ~3.7
last 45 hours: 3.61

SA vet tech/assistant: 1400 hours
Shadow equine/farm vet: 25 hours
Research: ~100 hours

Internship at a zoo: 265 hours
Internship at a zoo in Australia: 263 hours

Volunteer Work:
Monkey sanctuary: 43 hours
Wold Sanctuary: 20 hours
Wildlife Rehabilitation Hospital: 35 hours

Employment
Waitress: honestly can't count, I've done it for 7 years lol

Any advice would be helpful. I know this kind of turned into a WAMC thread, but I'm mainly concerned with my GRE scores. Thank you guys and good luck!!!

Members don't see this ad.

You're pretty solid across the board in general. If your scores are drastically different than the schools published averages, then you could potentially consider retaking it again. But I think a third attempt wouldn't really be warranted.

Email your school list on how much emphasis is placed on GRE scores as well. It's significance is decreasing steadily and probably would not be a deal breaker at this point.

Members don't see this ad :)
When I applied for the first time to UGA, my GRE score was a 292 with a 4.5 writing...I had only taken it once thinking my GPA would overpower my low GRE score. I didn't get accepted and when I underwent folder review, they said my application would be more competitive with at least a 300. I retook it 4 more times to get a combined score of 302 with a 4.5 writing and got in this past cycle. If all you're concerned with is your GRE, honestly you should be fine.:) But if you would feel more comfortable taking it again, do what you think is best.

Another thing UGA likes to see on applications is community service hours.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
When I applied for the first time to UGA, my GRE score was a 192 with a 4.5 writing...I had only taken it once thinking my GPA would overpower my low GRE score. I didn't get accepted and when I underwent folder review, they said my application would be more competitive with at least a 300. I retook it 4 more times to get a combined score of 302 with a 4.5 writing and got in this past cycle. If all you're concerned with is your GRE, honestly you should be fine.:) But if you would feel more comfortable taking it again, do what you think is best.

(Did you actually mean 192 because that’s under 100 points per section)

When I applied for the first time to UGA, my GRE score was a 292 with a 4.5 writing...I had only taken it once thinking my GPA would overpower my low GRE score. I didn't get accepted and when I underwent folder review, they said my application would be more competitive with at least a 300. I retook it 4 more times to get a combined score of 302 with a 4.5 writing and got in this past cycle. If all you're concerned with is your GRE, honestly you should be fine.:) But if you would feel more comfortable taking it again, do what you think is best.

Thank you so much for your input!

Hey guys! I just took the GRE a second time, and didn't improve my scores all that much. I sent both GRE scores (my previous one and current) to the schools I'm applying too, and now am regretting it. I'm thinking of taking it again, but am not sure if it will harm my application if I take it 3 times. Therefore, how important is the GRE compared to the rest of the application?

I understand not every school requires the test, but all schools I'm applying to do require it.

Applying: UF, UGA, CSU, WSU, and Wisconsin (or Tennessee)
GRE quant: 153
Verbal: 152
Writing: waiting on that score, previous one was 4

My overall GPA: 3.66
Science GPA: ~3.7
last 45 hours: 3.61

SA vet tech/assistant: 1400 hours
Shadow equine/farm vet: 25 hours
Research: ~100 hours

Internship at a zoo: 265 hours
Internship at a zoo in Australia: 263 hours

Volunteer Work:
Monkey sanctuary: 43 hours
Wold Sanctuary: 20 hours
Wildlife Rehabilitation Hospital: 35 hours

Employment
Waitress: honestly can't count, I've done it for 7 years lol

Any advice would be helpful. I know this kind of turned into a WAMC thread, but I'm mainly concerned with my GRE scores. Thank you guys and good luck!!!
Overall your application looks strong. Solid GPA's, variety in your vet hours, decent GRE etc.

You'll likely have your best chance of getting into your instate school. Are you instate for one of those schools? Check with each school's website and see how your stats match up with their instate and out of state stats. And look to see how many OOS spots there are.

Best of luck!

Can you tell me what your GPA was? I applied last year as OOS and didn’t even get into review. My normal GPA is 3.29, but since they take repeated courses into consideration it went doen just below 3.0 and my GRE score is 300, I’m re taking it in a couple of weeks.

I moved to Atlanta and got a job here and I’m applying this year as IS. Do you think this increases my chances of getting in? Are they less strict with their requirements for IS applicants?

Can you tell me what your GPA was? I applied last year as OOS and didn’t even get into review. My normal GPA is 3.29, but since they take repeated courses into consideration it went doen just below 3.0 and my GRE score is 300, I’m re taking it in a couple of weeks.

I moved to Atlanta and got a job here and I’m applying this year as IS. Do you think this increases my chances of getting in? Are they less strict with their requirements for IS applicants?
If you don’t meet the minimum requirements, you will not be admitted. Doesn’t matter whether you are in state or out of state.

7D547860-C1EA-4CC1-B3B2-37F569A71F35.jpeg

Can you tell me what your GPA was? I applied last year as OOS and didn’t even get into review. My normal GPA is 3.29, but since they take repeated courses into consideration it went down just below 3.0 and my GRE score is 300, I’m re taking it in a couple of weeks.

My overall GPA was 3.7; science GPA was 3.5; and my last 45 credit hours GPA was 3.91. I got an OOS spot (applied for IS contract seat as a South Carolina resident but was chosen for an OOS spot and waitlisted for a IS contract seat).

As far as you applying now as a GA resident, there are more spots for GA residents but, like @SkiOtter said, you still must have either a GPA above a 3.0 or a 308 GRE. Also, make sure you do all of the steps to prove your residency. I lived in SC my whole life and it took months for the SC commissioner's office to prove my residency...hopefully to prove residency in GA won't be that awful and long.

If you have the spare cash, maybe look into taking an online course or two that could boost your GPA back to above a 3.0 or retake the GRE until you get to 308 or higher. ^^