This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

TDPT

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I am looking to apply in 2016 for the 2017 cycle. I just took the GRE today, and received low-ish scores. Most of the schools I will be applying for has their average scores between 154-157 for verbal and quant, respectively. Bear in mind, that is the AVERAGE. The minimum for most of these schools are between 144-146.

That said, I scored a 149 on both sections (writing section unknown as of now). Obviously I know that the higher the score, the better, but I was wondering how much schools care about this? Is it a "you meet the minimum and you're good"? I want to hear from YOUR experience. Have you or do you know anyone that has gotten in with low-ish GRE scores?

Also, have a CGPA of 3.9, so keep that in mind. I know that high GPA and low GRE is much better than the contrary.

My high GPA indeed helps out with the low GRE, I will be having excellent recommendations, and my extra currics look pretty good. What do you all think? What would you do? In my mind right now it's not worth the extra $$$, time, and effort given that everything else is strong.

If it helps at all, the schools i'm looking at are.

UW Madison, Mayo, UW Lacrosse, and NAU

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Taking the GRE again, based on re-exposure and familiarity with the test, usually results in a higher score. I think without much effort, you'd get into the 150s, which will be much more helpful (and expected) in the admissions process.

I think if you have the time to take it again, go for it so you can match the rest of your stellar stats.

Of course, GRE isn't everything. But with a strong application overall, I think it's worth taking it one more time and getting a score that's going to help you out. You don't want to look back and realize you had the time to take it once more.

A lot of schools really are looking for AT LEAST a 300 combined score. Just a few more points would really suit you well, I think.

Just my opinion :)

Hi there,

I am looking to apply in 2016 for the 2017 cycle. I just took the GRE today, and received low-ish scores. Most of the schools I will be applying for has their average scores between 154-157 for verbal and quant, respectively. Bear in mind, that is the AVERAGE. The minimum for most of these schools are between 144-146.

That said, I scored a 149 on both sections (writing section unknown as of now). Obviously I know that the higher the score, the better, but I was wondering how much schools care about this? Is it a "you meet the minimum and you're good"? I want to hear from YOUR experience. Have you or do you know anyone that has gotten in with low-ish GRE scores?

Also, have a CGPA of 3.9, so keep that in mind. I know that high GPA and low GRE is much better than the contrary.

Of course I have time to retake, but I would prefer not to so I would love some opinions on this. My high GPA indeed helps out with the low GRE, I will be having excellent recommendations, and my extra currics look pretty good. What do you all think? What would you do? In my mind right now it's not worth the extra $$$, time, and effort given that everything else is strong.

Taking the GRE again, based on re-exposure and familiarity with the test, usually results in a higher score. I think without much effort, you'd get into the 150s, which will be much more helpful (and expected) in the admissions process.

I think if you have the time to take it again, go for it so you can match the rest of your stellar stats.

Of course, GRE isn't everything. But with a strong application overall, I think it's worth taking it one more time and getting a score that's going to help you out. You don't want to look back and realize you had the time to take it once more.

A lot of schools really are looking for AT LEAST a 300 combined score. Just a few more points would really suit you well, I think.

Just my opinion :)

I appreciate your thorough response! I guess I'll take some time to ponder on it. It'll probably come down to what I get on the writing. If I get a 4 or more then I probably will be leaning more towards no retake.

I just feel like it's not worth the money, time, and effort to get a few possible more points. My scores are above the minimum requirement, so we shall see.

Thanks man!

Members don't see this ad :)
I appreciate your thorough response! I guess I'll take some time to ponder on it. It'll probably come down to what I get on the writing. If I get a 4 or more then I probably will be leaning more towards no retake.

I just feel like it's not worth the money, time, and effort to get a few possible more points. My scores are above the minimum requirement, so we shall see.

Thanks man!

Kind of off topic, but have you heard anything with regards to admissions at La Crosse and Madison? I am looking at those schools as well and will be applying in the same cycle.

Kind of off topic, but have you heard anything with regards to admissions at La Crosse and Madison? I am looking at those schools as well and will be applying in the same cycle.
Yep, what would you like to know in particular?

Yep, what would you like to know in particular?
Well overall I'm just concerned about getting accepted even though I have pretty solid numbers! Just kind of a stressful process! :) But do you know anyone who goes to those schools? If so, what were their stats?
From what I have seen online it seems that Madison is very concerned about overall experience (extra curriculars, job experience) as well as grades/gre. And it seems that La Crosse leans towards grades/gre but doesnt totally exclude the experience part.
Also, just in general how difficult are the programs? Obviously they are no cake walk but just a general feeling for the programs is what I'm curious about.

Well overall I'm just concerned about getting accepted even though I have pretty solid numbers! Just kind of a stressful process! :) But do you know anyone who goes to those schools? If so, what were their stats?
From what I have seen online it seems that Madison is very concerned about overall experience (extra curriculars, job experience) as well as grades/gre. And it seems that La Crosse leans towards grades/gre but doesnt totally exclude the experience part.
Also, just in general how difficult are the programs? Obviously they are no cake walk but just a general feeling for the programs is what I'm curious about.

3/7 of the Physical Therapists that I shadow went to lacrosse or Madison. From what I've heard as well, it seems that although numbers are a big part of it, Madison takes into account everything else as well. Of course Lacrosse does, but not to the same extent.

I know Madisons average GPA of last years class was 3.76, and average GRE was 154 Verb and 157 Quant. However, their students accepted scores ranged between (144-169). I'm sure Lacrosse has similar numbers as well.

I'm not sure how difficult their programs are, but I have only heard amazing things about both!

Hi there,

Of course I have time to retake, but I would prefer not to so I would love some opinions on this. My high GPA indeed helps out with the low GRE, I will be having excellent recommendations, and my extra currics look pretty good. What do you all think? What would you do? In my mind right now it's not worth the extra $$$, time, and effort given that everything else is strong.

I applied to all those schools this cycle. If you want my opinion, I'd recommend retaking the GRE no matter what your writing score is. You have a very good cumulative GPA, but the GRE does factor into the decision at all of those schools. If you don't mind me asking, what school do/did you go to for undergrad?

I applied to all those schools this cycle. If you want my opinion, I'd recommend retaking the GRE no matter what your writing score is. You have a very good cumulative GPA, but the GRE does factor into the decision at all of those schools. If you don't mind me asking, what school do/did you go to for undergrad?
Thanks for your input! If you applied to all of those schools, what was/is the result? What are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

I am currently attending Winona State University in MN, which is a pretty common school that Madison and Lacrosse will get its applicants from.

As for the GRE retake, we shall see at this point! I emailed back and fourth with one of the admissions people for Madison, and based on the information he provided me for their last years applicants, their current students GRE scores ranged from (144-167) V, and (145-168) Q. (3.5-5.5) AW. They accepted some students with a 144, 145, and 3.5 on the respective sections. So given that if my AW score is adequate and the rest of my application will be very strong, it might not be necessary. Who knows though, maybe i'll do a retake after this Spring semester. After all, I have till July!

I think a big part of doing well on standardized tests is figuring out how the test makers think. They tend to use a lot of the same "tricks" throughout the test, especially on the quantitive section. I don't think I really figured this out until the week or so before the test, but it still helped immensely (I ended up with a pretty solid 319). I also think that simply taking the test and feeling out how test day feels goes a long way in helping calm the nerves during subsequent attempts. You can take practice tests until you are blue in the face, but I don't think anything really prepares you for test day. I'm not saying you should definitely retake the GRE, but I think you might be able to improve a little bit.

I think a big part of doing well on standardized tests is figuring out how the test makers think. They tend to use a lot of the same "tricks" throughout the test, especially on the quantitive section. I don't think I really figured this out until the week or so before the test, but it still helped immensely (I ended up with a pretty solid 319). I also think that simply taking the test and feeling out how test day feels goes a long way in helping calm the nerves during subsequent attempts. You can take practice tests until you are blue in the face, but I don't think anything really prepares you for test day. I'm not saying you should definitely retake the GRE, but I think you might be able to improve a little bit.
Thanks for the input man! I agree with what you're saying.

Great job with that score by the way!

Thanks for your input! If you applied to all of those schools, what was/is the result? What are your stats if you don't mind me asking?

I am currently attending Winona State University in MN, which is a pretty common school that Madison and Lacrosse will get its applicants from.

As for the GRE retake, we shall see at this point! I emailed back and fourth with one of the admissions people for Madison, and based on the information he provided me for their last years applicants, their current students GRE scores ranged from (144-167) V, and (145-168) Q. (3.5-5.5) AW. They accepted some students with a 144, 145, and 3.5 on the respective sections. So given that if my AW score is adequate and the rest of my application will be very strong, it might not be necessary. Who knows though, maybe i'll do a retake after this Spring semester. After all, I have till July!
I got accepted to UW-Madison and Mayo, offered an interview at NAU but declined, and rejected at La Crosse.

My stats are:
GPA: 3.85
Cumulative GPA: 3.92
GRE: 156V 163Q 5.0W

From my experience, Mayo looks at you as a whole applicant, like GPA/GRE and all your experiences. NAU only considers your GPA/GRE before offering interviews, so it would only help if you retook it especially if you are out of state. La Crosse put a lot of weight on their early applicants and seems to prefer their own students more than students from other schools. And I don't really know what Madison looks for in applicants, but I would think they look a lot at essays because there are no interviews. I go to UW-Madison for undergrad, so I never really looked into their application process like I did the other schools.

300 is the magic number for GRE. I would personally retake it. I feel you'd be able to get 2 points better

Members don't see this ad :)
I got accepted to UW-Madison and Mayo, offered an interview at NAU but declined, and rejected at La Crosse.

My stats are:

From my experience, Mayo looks at you as a whole applicant, like GPA/GRE and all your experiences. NAU only considers your GPA/GRE before offering interviews, so it would only help if you retook it especially if you are out of state. La Crosse put a lot of weight on their early applicants and seems to prefer their own students more than students from other schools. And I don't really know what Madison looks for in applicants, but I would think they look a lot at essays because there are no interviews. I go to UW-Madison for undergrad, so I never really looked into their application process like I did the other schools.
Wow I'm surprised you got rejected by La Crosse with your numbers. But yeah like you said it could be that they favor the early decision students as well as other factors. How many observation hours did you have and in what settings?

My current stats:

GPA: 3.94
pre req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 155 V 154 Q 4.0 W
Hours: 33 inpatient rehab, 20 skilled nursing home.

My stats are:

Awesome! How was the Mayo interview? Individual? Group? Examples of some questions asked? How do you like Madison? Where will you be attended?

Sorry for all of the questions, but since you applied to my top 4 choices and got accepted to two of them it can only help me :)

Gotta get into the 150's. Break 300 and with that gpa you'll get interviews at good schools. I've been accepted two 2 and had interviews at 6 with your same gpa and a bit higher for pre req and only got a 308 on gre combined

Wow I'm surprised you got rejected by La Crosse with your numbers. But yeah like you said it could be that they favor the early decision students as well as other factors. How many observation hours did you have and in what settings?

My current stats:

GPA: 3.94
pre req GPA: 4.0
GRE: 155 V 154 Q 4.0 W
Hours: 33 inpatient rehab, 20 skilled nursing home.
Yeah La Crosse said they favored early applicants but I'm curious as to why they flat out rejected me. It doesn't really matter because I've gotten accepted at places I would go over La Crosse though. And for observation hours, I has 96 in outpatient orthopedics/sports, 40 in inpatient rehab, and 15 in home health. If you get more in a different setting, you'll be solid. Most places want at least 3 (inpatient/outpatient/specialty) so I'd say look for an outpatient clinic to get some more hours and you'll be good.

Awesome! How was the Mayo interview? Individual? Group? Examples of some questions asked? How do you like Madison? Where will you be attended?

Sorry for all of the questions, but since you applied to my top 4 choices and got accepted to two of them it can only help me :)
The Mayo interview was different than the other places I've interviewed at. It's an individual interview with a faculty member and a second year student and they ask behavorial questions, like "tell me a time when you had a conflict with a coworker" or something like that. I didn't mind it, but it was not conversational and very rigid. They do that to get more of an idea of your character rather than just why you want to be a PT.

I really like Madison, the city itself is awesome and there's always something to do. I also love how campus is on the lake. Other than that, there are a ton of opportunities to get involved with research, the community, etc. because it's such a big university. I know the PT program is the same way, and the PT faculty seem awesome. Unfortunately for me, because I went to Madison for undergrad I'm actually looking at other schools. UW is still an option because it's in-state and I still like Madison, but I've also been accepted to the University of Florida and have interviews at the University of Iowa and the University of Colorado-Denver. Once I hear from them, I'll make my final decision. But I'm still happy to answer any questions you have about your top schools!

Gotta get into the 150's. Break 300 and with that gpa you'll get interviews at good schools. I've been accepted two 2 and had interviews at 6 with your same gpa and a bit higher for pre req and only got a 308 on gre combined
Thanks for your input!

My current cumulative is 3.9 with 5 pre reqs left (expecting to get A's of course), and pre req GPA is right around there as well.

300 seems to be like the magic number for sure, which annoys me as I was only 2 points away lol. However, i've seen people on these forums getting accepted to schools with similar or slightly lower GRE, and 3.5-3.7 GPA. We shall see though!

What schools have you been accepted to!?

Yeah La Crosse said they favored early applicants but I'm curious as to why they flat out rejected me. It doesn't really matter because I've gotten accepted at places I would go over La Crosse though. And for observation hours, I has 96 in outpatient orthopedics/sports, 40 in inpatient rehab, and 15 in home health. If you get more in a different setting, you'll be solid. Most places want at least 3 (inpatient/outpatient/specialty) so I'd say look for an outpatient clinic to get some more hours and you'll be good.

The Mayo interview was different than the other places I've interviewed at. It's an individual interview with a faculty member and a second year student and they ask behavorial questions, like "tell me a time when you had a conflict with a coworker" or something like that. I didn't mind it, but it was not conversational and very rigid. They do that to get more of an idea of your character rather than just why you want to be a PT.

I really like Madison, the city itself is awesome and there's always something to do. I also love how campus is on the lake. Other than that, there are a ton of opportunities to get involved with research, the community, etc. because it's such a big university. I know the PT program is the same way, and the PT faculty seem awesome. Unfortunately for me, because I went to Madison for undergrad I'm actually looking at other schools. UW is still an option because it's in-state and I still like Madison, but I've also been accepted to the University of Florida and have interviews at the University of Iowa and the University of Colorado-Denver. Once I hear from them, I'll make my final decision. But I'm still happy to answer any questions you have about your top schools!

Appreciate the thorough response once again! Best of luck to you and whichever school you choose.

Going off of a conversation you had with someone else in this forum, do you think I have my observation hours covered with the following?
84 hours Outpatient (mix of ortho, peds, neuro, geriatrics, pool, etc.)
20 hours inpatient (in a hospital)

I was very fortunate to get such a great mix of experience at the outpatient clinic as I knew a few of the therapists and really connected well with 1-2 of them!

PS: Sending you a message on here about something.

Thanks for your input!

My current cumulative is 3.9 with 5 pre reqs left (expecting to get A's of course), and pre req GPA is right around there as well.

300 seems to be like the magic number for sure, which annoys me as I was only 2 points away lol. However, i've seen people on these forums getting accepted to schools with similar or slightly lower GRE, and 3.5-3.7 GPA. We shall see though!

Last edited:
UCF and NYU. better safe then sorry you should break 300 especially when wanting good schools. I have an Emory interview on the 22nd and declined an interview to Colorado as well. Good luck to you and remember a variety of shadowing hours is important
For sure man! I'm just getting done with those this week!
84 hours Outpatient (mix of ortho, peds, neuro, geriatrics, pool, etc.)
20 hours inpatient (in a hospital)

Best of luck to you! What's your top pick?

Thanks man I appreciate the input! I will definitely look into getting some outpatient hours. I still have lots of time.

Thanks for your input!

Definitely retake it. You most likely won't have a problem getting into schools with your stats but it can't hurt. With your GPA, you will also be considered for scholarships (if the schools you are applying to offer them) if you have slightly higher GRE scores. I was offered scholarships at two different schools but am kicking myself for not taking the GRE again. If my scores were slightly higher I probably would have gotten more money. It won't be a waste of money if you are offered a few thousand dollars a year. Again, I'm not sure if the schools you are applying to offer scholarships or not, just something to keep in mind.

Definitely retake it. You most likely won't have a problem getting into schools with your stats but it can't hurt. With your GPA, you will also be considered for scholarships (if the schools you are applying to offer them) if you have slightly higher GRE scores. I was offered scholarships at two different schools but am kicking myself for not taking the GRE again. If my scores were slightly higher I probably would have gotten more money. It won't be a waste of money if you are offered a few thousand dollars a year. Again, I'm not sure if the schools you are applying to offer scholarships or not, just something to keep in mind.
Thanks for your insight!

I didn't even think about the scholarships side of things. My GPA is above average for sure but you think some schools won't give you as much if your GRE isn't on par? What was your gpa/gre stats if you don't mind me asking?

I told my Physical Therapists that i'm close with and shadowing about my dilemma, and they should it's not even worth to retake if I'm above the minimum requirements since everything else is strong.

How did you get the opportunity for scholarships??? Thank you

Thanks for your insight!

I didn't even think about the scholarships side of things. My GPA is above average for sure but you think some schools won't give you as much if your GRE isn't on par? What was your gpa/gre stats if you don't mind me asking?

I told my Physical Therapists that i'm close with and shadowing about my dilemma, and they should it's not even worth to retake if I'm above the minimum requirements since everything else is strong.
My GPA was 3.84 and GRE was 155Q, 152V, and 4.5W. I knew someone with similar stats who got higher GRE scores and received a scholarship to a school that we both got accepted to but I did not get a scholarship. That being said there could be other factors that go into scholarships as well.

How did you get the opportunity for scholarships??? Thank you
3/4 schools I applied to automatically considered you for scholarships upon acceptance to the program based on academics and GRE scores (from what I understand). I was fortunate enough to be offered a scholarship to two of them.

20% off magoosh for the next two days. https://gre.magoosh.com/plans
i have no affiliations with magoosh except the fact that i used it to help me with my GRE's. it helped me a whole bunch and just trying to help you all out.

Reactions: 1 user
20% off magoosh for the next two days. https://gre.magoosh.com/plans
i have no affiliations with magoosh except the fact that i used it to help me with my GRE's. it helped me a whole bunch and just trying to help you all out.

Even at $99 it's a pretty good deal. I used it the first time I took the GRE and it helped a lot. If I don't get into Army-Baylor next month I might turn my attention to applying to a top tier MBA program so I might sign up again now that it's even cheaper than usual.

Thanks man!

I agree with the suggestions to retake unless you plan on attending a school that doesn't ask for it (and there are plenty.) Below a 300-302 could limit your options. Most schools I applied to, wanted my GRE scores from both takes and I am sure would have considered a higher score on the writing on one test and higher scores in ver/quan on the other if it had come out that way (exactly the same both times.) I would think that a 3.9 comes with the expectation that your GRE scores will be higher than yours are unless your GPA is heavy in the sciences which could just indicate that you don't test as well as the expectation. My undergrad GPA was much lower than a 3.9 and my GRE slightly higher, so far I have been accepted at St. Ambrose (GRE needed) and Gannon and USciences that didn't. I am several years out of college though with tons of experience.

If I were in your shoes, I'd likely retake the GRE after studying using Magoosh and a bunch of the official GRE practice tests. Different schools weigh the GRE differently, but for some it has equal or close to equal weight as GPA , so in the pure numbers game (which much of the DPT admissions process is), it's quite possible that raising your scores a notch will increase your options quite a bit when decisions role around. Ultimately, the cost of the test is pretty small compared to the cost of three years of PT school, and if that $205 allows you to get into a better/significantly cheaper school, then it's worth it IMO. Of course, other programs could care less as long as you meet the minimums, so I'd also try to figure out how much weight the schools you're interested in give to the GRE, since this will vary quite a bit from program to program.

I don't know about the other schools, but for NAU, raising your GRE score will increase your odds of acceptance. As badgerPT22 said, they only look at GPA and GRE when deciding who to interview, so with that low of a GRE score, it's possible you wouldn't make that first cut, especially if you're not an AZ resident (their bar for offering interviews is lower for those in-state). I also know several people who applied this last cycle to NAU with 4.0 GPAs and were rejected. (Granted, I have no idea what the rest of these folks' applications looked like, or how their interviews went, but I guess my point is that the admissions process is very competitive, so anything you can do to strengthen your application is probably worth doing.)

Last edited:
Definitely retake. Study with a program (Magoosh raised my score 10 pts). You'll be smooth.

I am applying to UW Madison, Univ of MN, Univ of Iowa, and UW Milwaukee. My stats
GPA 3.88Cum/3.95prerequ
GRE 305/4.5 writing
100+ observation hours in 3 different settings
Currently attend UW Madison

Should I retake the GRE? I am really hoping to get accepted into U of M.

I am applying to UW Madison, Univ of MN, Univ of Iowa, and UW Milwaukee. My stats
GPA 3.88Cum/3.95prerequ
GRE 305/4.5 writing
100+ observation hours in 3 different settings
Currently attend UW Madison

Should I retake the GRE? I am really hoping to get accepted into U of M.

Is U of M your first choice? Are you applying to any of them via early decision?

Your GRE is definitely solid especially with your GPA. No need to retake in my opinion.

Is U of M your first choice? Are you applying to any of them via early decision?

Your GRE is definitely solid especially with your GPA. No need to retake in my opinion.
Can anyone provide any insight on what schools think of skipping certain sections on the GRE if you did well on it the first time? I received a 4.5 writing and I'm retaking to boost my other scores and really want to skip the essays if that wouldn't be frowned upon

U of M doesn't have early decision and is my top pick. I will do early decision for either UW Madison or UW Milwaukee, but I won't know about U of M until after early decision is due.

U of M doesn't have early decision and is my top pick. I will do early decision for either UW Madison or UW Milwaukee, but I won't know about U of M until after early decision is due.

Oh dang. I suppose that's a downside because if you do early decision to another school you basically have to go there if accepted from my understanding. Best of luck to you! I'm applying Madison early decision as well.