GRE good enough for these schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

solid snake

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I made around a 1100 on GRE and was wondering if this score is good enough for mph schools like UT-Houston, UT-San Antonio, Columbia, Emory, and Yale.

Should I retake the GRE?

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Only one way to find out!

I'm not sure if MPH programs post average GRE scores. You may want to contact the programs that interest you and ask their Admissions people.

Some schools say their scores are in a certain percentile. You can use that to correlate it with your school.

for my school, Cal

Q: What are the average GRE scores of applicants/What GRE scores are you looking for?

A: Competitive applicants score in the 50th percentile or above. The average percentiles of an admitted applicant are 75%-Verbal and 76%-Quantative.

That equals about ~560 Verbal, ~730 quantitative, so about ~1300 total

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi solid snake...

I'm a second year MPH student at UT-Houston right now and I think your best bet would be to call admissions... I looked up online to see if they have GRE requirements and I found a couple of sites for you:

UTH SPH admissions procedures

Here's something more specific about the GRE:
GRE requirement

It says that for the MPH program they require a minimum of 1000 for verbal and quantitative combined.

Out of the rest of those schools, I also applied and was accepted at Yale. My GRE was higher than yours though, so you might want to check the school websites or call admissions at the schools you are interested in, but looks like you are good to go for UT-H and I think UT-SA probably as well.

oh yeah, on your list, i only applied to columbia and got in, but I recall them having a relatively high GRE average. On a related note, I'm not really sure how important the GREs are. I cant imagine how they're a good predictor of how well you'll do in public health school, or how much you will contribute to public health.

In my opinion, the most important thing for someone serious about public health is to have done things showing such. Since public health is an intrinsically humanistic endeavor, i surmise that the admissions committees at public health schools would be willing to overlook poor grades/stats if that applicant had proven his/her dedication to the public health cause.

If you're using it as a springboard to med school... thats another issue.

Originally posted by exmike
Some schools say their scores are in a certain percentile. You can use that to correlate it with your school.

for my school, Cal

Q: What are the average GRE scores of applicants/What GRE scores are you looking for?

A: Competitive applicants score in the 50th percentile or above. The average percentiles of an admitted applicant are 75%-Verbal and 76%-Quantative.

That equals about ~560 Verbal, ~730 quantitative, so about ~1300 total

These scores are more or less the same for UCLA's MPH.

solid snake said:
I made around a 1100 on GRE and was wondering if this score is good enough for mph schools like UT-Houston, UT-San Antonio, Columbia, Emory, and Yale.

Should I retake the GRE?

Thanks.
Hey there. My GRE was around 1100 and I got into Yale. There are a lot of other factors to consider!